How To root your San Diego

Guest benichou

Guest Simon O

@Flibblesan, any ideas on what is blocking sd card, or is it as rickywyatt suggested, it is blocked at kernel level ?

Hard to know without a device with me but I suspect the kernel init files need editing to include mountpoints for the SD card. Might even be there just commented out.

So not this line then:

Kernel command line: init=/init pci=noearly console=logk0 earlyprintk=nologger loglevel=4 hsu_dma=7 kmemleak=off androidboot.bootmedia=sdcard androidboot.hardware=mfld_pr2 emmc_ipanic.ipanic_part_number=6 androidboot.wakesrc=05 androidboot.mode=main

Guest MrJabbah

So just to confirm. The root process detailed above leaves a flashing screen on some but not all. And is safe!

Yep works 100% perfectly on my phone. Really happy with it, much snappier than gingerbread!

Guest stephen m

Yep works 100% perfectly on my phone. Really happy with it, much snappier than gingerbread!

Thanks - will root then. Just one thing. I'm familiar with connecting the phone via USB debugging etc, but this line ' Parameters->about->advanced parameters-> tick the first line'. Where is this. Soz if I've missed something :unsure:

Guest razzmataz1478

Ok, not my sort of thing really, just see kernel command with sd card in it and thought it could be something :lol:

No...sdcard = internal SD

sdcard1 = external sd

Does anyone know what the panic partition is?

Guest stephen m

Thanks - will root then. Just one thing. I'm familiar with connecting the phone via USB debugging etc, but this line ' Parameters->about->advanced parameters-> tick the first line'. Where is this. Soz if I've missed something

No problems guys. Bit the bullet and went ahead - rooted a treat! :) Thanks guys for all your efforts on this, and looking forward to a hopeful use of the SD card slot.

Edited by stephen m

Guest punjabi

I've been reading this forum and this thread all day now and waiting to root... When it's safe... I assume it is now... Without any flashing screen...?!

Guest stephen m

I've been reading this forum and this thread all day now and waiting to root... When it's safe... I assume it is now... Without any flashing screen...?!

Also, just out if curiosity what if I need to rerun the phone for some reason, can I remove root...?

It's safe.

Guest punjabi

And what about the business with busy box, has that been sorted now?

I remember there was some slight jiggle with it not working properly…

Guest SmoKe42

Guys,

i found a way to root our deer San Diego!

i just edited the script from Binary from XDA forum. so thanks him ^^

and it is working, but we need the x86 version of busybox.

so if someone find it, please post it:

to root your san diego, you need:

ICS

Intel android driver

your phone with debug usb on (Parameters->about->advanced parameters-> tick the first line )

to download this archive https://www.box.com/...o6x3i82t3z4xzqo

and run the RunMe.bat,

your devices should reboot twice, and then you have root and the superuser application!

enjoy

PS: because we dont have the right version of busybox, some applications will not run, like LBE privacy guard

sorry for the linux user, i did not edit the script, i think you just need to change in the do_copy function, to remove the /data/tmp/busybox before mount -o .:-> i edited the file and updated the archvie, but i have not test it

I don't understand, by requesting ICS to root the phone, it means that Ice Cream Sandwich is required or I missed something? Because the ICS update for the OSD isn't still here...

Edited by SmoKe42

Guest BlueMoonRising

I don't understand, by requesting ICS to root the phone, it means that Ice Cream Sandwich is required or I missed something?

Yes, you need to install the Xolo ICS update first before attempting root.

Guest SmoKe42

Yes, you need to install the Xolo ICS update first before attempting root.

The question is: How can I do this because my phone is the Orange version of OSD... So I guess there is a non negligible chance of bricking my device, right?

(Sorry, I forgot the elementary rules of courtesy: Hello and thanks a lot =) )

Edited by SmoKe42

Guest BlueMoonRising

The question is: How can I do this because my phone is the Orange version of OSD... So I guess there is a non negligible chance of bricking my device, right?

There's a noobs guide to upgrading to ICS on this site. Basically just copy the Xolo update to root and run the update from USB.

"So I guess there is a non negligible chance of bricking my device, right?", err, your grammar is turning my head inside out, but if you mean could you brick it updating than no, it's safe to upgrade(I was on Orange GB and can confirm it's simple and quick).

Rooting is another matter entirely and I wont be attempting it for a long while yet.

Guest SmoKe42

There's a noobs guide to upgrading to ICS on this site. Basically just copy the Xolo update to root and run the update from USB.

"So I guess there is a non negligible chance of bricking my device, right?", err, your grammar is turning my head inside out, but if you mean could you brick it updating than no, it's safe to upgrade(I was on Orange GB and can confirm it's simple and quick).

Rooting is another matter entirely and I wont be attempting it for a long while yet.

Ok, sorry for my bad english and thanks for the answer!