ICS UPDATE : Your Review

Guest xgt001

Guest xgt001

Hi

I am having an amazing time with the ICS Xolo, hope you all are.. I have written a short review of what it brings with it

http://techsplurge.com/12678/intel-xolo-x900-ics-update-android-4/

.. I guess I have missed a lot of stuff in my piece.

From the device bug fixes perspective...here are a few major ones i have noticed

• Signal reception much improved and much better.
  • GPS reception now works a lot better
  • Burst mode now works in full glory
  • Camera UI fixed ! but they took away a lot of options though..
  • App compatiblity "magically fixed"

what other benefits have you been observing with the ICS update?

Guest BlueMoonRising

I can't say that reception has improved however we are in a really bad reception area. I have the feeling that EE s switch to 4G is messing with the signal at the moment.

GPS is MASSIVELY improved and can happily pick up satellites indoors very quickly. It's such a huge improvement from the GB version and in another league entirely compared to my OSF.

The Swiftkey 3 keyboard included is very nice if you don't get on with Swype.

Video recording has been fixed, no focus clicking sounds anymore.

Battery life much better.

Performance 10 times better.

app compatibility fixed.

Edited by Guest

Guest mclassplanet

Compass bug (a Gingerbread issue with some models of phone apparently) has been fixed; the compass now smoothly tracks as you rotate the phone (which it should do).

Love the improved user interface; this is so much better than the jump from Froyo to Gingerbread.

Guest dangerbizzla

Completely stoked on ICS. One thing I've found is battery seems to eat up a little bit quicker (I'm talking maybe 10-15 Percent less than gingerbread).

Loving the whole experience though. I finally feel like im back up to date with a current OS

Battery is good for me, but I have a lot of system apps frozen and alot of startups stopped, both done using rom toolbox pro, by far the best root app out there. Obviously there are other factors that come into battery life, but when I first got ICS loaded up, it was very clear the battery is much better than gingerbread, as was the case when I got ICS on my G300.

Edited by Guest

Guest punjabi

My battery has been terrible since installing ICS!

It wasn't the best before either but now it's got worse... Am I doing something I shouldn't be? I'm sure I've got something running that is eating the battery up!

Then again when I check the battery stats it says that 50% has gone on the screen! What!?

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

ICS has completely transformed the experience of using my device. When I replaced my G300 with the San Diego, I was initially somewhat underwhelmed; disappointed, even. The G300 had felt like a real leap from the San Francisco it replaced. Out of the box it wasn't great, but with the updated ROM it flew. It was so much faster and more responsive than the San Fran. I couldn't believe it had only cost a few pounds more. I expected a similar leap with the San Diego; a device retailing at twice the price of the G300 on release. However, I was disappointed with the smoothness of the transition between homescreens (even using Holo Launcher), I found typing far harder (I kept hitting the wrong keys), the battery life was disappointing compared to what I was used to and it just didn't feel as responsive as I had hoped it would. I admit I never tried using the Xolo version of Gingerbread though, so all this is based on stock Orange.

ICS has changed everything. The device is so much more responsive. All the transitions happen swiftly and smoothly. Chrome browser is a treat to use, with content loading and pages formatting far more swiftly than I have been accustomed to. The choice of ringtones and notifications is excellent. It is early days to judge the battery life yet, but since I updated yesterday afternoon it hasn't drained anywhere near as much as I would have expected under the stock Gingerbread despite my increased usage.

If reports of improved GPS fix time and no-clicky sounds in video recording are true then I am one happy bunny. I am also keen to try root so I can install Ad Free and perhaps change the alarm sound.

I am now back to the feeling that I can't believe this phone only cost me £140 (after £30 Quidco, which Orange actually paid through in a matter of days). A definite step up from my G300 now, even when it was running Infusion.

Guest BlueMoonRising

My battery has been terrible since installing ICS!

It wasn't the best before either but now it's got worse... Am I doing something I shouldn't be? I'm sure I've got something running that is eating the battery up!

Then again when I check the battery stats it says that 50% has gone on the screen! What!?

Mines showing 40% used by the screen, that's normal unless you're using something really CPU intensive like gaming or benchmarks an awful lot.

Although it's early days my battery seems to be better in respect of life. I've changed the governor to Powersave and am using Auto Brightness for the screen. You haven't changed the CPU frequency at all have you?

Guest punjabi

Mines showing 40% used by the screen, that's normal unless you're using something really CPU intensive like gaming or benchmarks an awful lot.

Although it's early days my battery seems to be better in respect of life. I've changed the governor to Powersave and am using Auto Brightness for the screen. You haven't changed the CPU frequency at all have you?

I haven't changed anything really... The settings are the same as from gingerbread as they were mainly exported over with the upgrade.

U think its something to do with the settings somewhere...

Guest BlueMoonRising

I haven't changed anything really... The settings are the same as from gingerbread as they were mainly exported over with the upgrade.

Only if you've changed anything previously. If you haven't then I'm at a lost.

Have you changed min clock speed ?

Guest punjabi

Have you changed min clock speed ?

No, definitely not.

I just can't figure it out! It gets to 9.15am and I'm on 85% already. I've just checked it this afternoon and my son has been playing with it for about an hour max on YouTube and its less than 60%

That can't be right!?

Guest xgt001

how are you folks finding the new camera app??? I am sad that lot of options are missing in the new one... but cant comment about Photo quality..

Yes some features are missing, like changing the type of multi-shot etc, but overall it is much more user friendly and also the video record bug is fixed, the annoying auto-focus sound. Also I am finding the photo quality about same as before, although with flash colors look better and macro function seems improved, especially in video.

Guest Jehannum

ICS, my 2c...

Call quality seems the same [good].

Direct dial shortcuts disappear from the desktop repeatedly.

GPS is better, but also much aided by GPS Test Plus.

I don't like the different way of adding stuff to the desktops.

I can't remove the google earch bar from the desktops.

Data usage app [inc data cap] is a great addition especially being able to block background data usage when on mobile networks.

Battery life seems about the same - ie not great

Screen brightness auto setting now seems to work as you'd expect.

Gallery renamed to "social gallery" - what on earth for?

Overall, an improvement, I think.

Jehannum.

Edited by Jehannum

Guest BlueMoonRising

ICS, my 2c...

Call quality seems the same [good].

Direct dial shortcuts disappear from the desktop repeatedly.

GPS is better, but alos much aided by GPS Tets Plus.

I don't like the different way of adding stuff to the desktops.

I can't remove the google earch bar from the desktops.

Data usage app [inc data cap] is a great addition.

battery life seems about the same.

Screen brightness auto setting now seems to work as you'd expect.

Gallery renamed to "social gallery" - what on earth for?

Overall, an improvement, I think.

Jehannum.

To remove the persistent search bar you would need to install a 3rd party launcher such as Apex Launcher.

I'm not sure of what it was like under GB(now updated to ICS) but I took mine off charge last night before going to bed, this morning after 9.5 hours it was still on 100% battery. I do put it on airplane mode overnight and am also running the Powersave governor but that is impressive. Partly down to the Intel deepsleep mode I know but still excellent.

Edit :- I don't think the "social gallery" is actually the ICS Gallery, it looks to me to be the GB one. ICS Gallery off Play Store is the correct ICS one I believe. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moblynx.galleryics&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5tb2JseW54LmdhbGxlcnlpY3MiXQ..

Edited by BlueMoonRising