159 replies to this topic

h@mster81

h@mster81

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB
Really tempted. Never bought anything from China directly though.
What do you think about this seller?
http://www.aliexpres.../594076305.html

About 100 quid (Dual core one) including TNT delivery to UK . Too good to be true or genuine price?

alfabet

alfabet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Do these Chinese imports have Google Play store support?

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Really tempted. Never bought anything from China directly though.
What do you think about this seller?
http://www.aliexpres.../594076305.html

About 100 quid (Dual core one) including TNT delivery to UK . Too good to be true or genuine price?

That is the seller I purchased the Jiayu G2 that I reviewed! Its a good seller, but it will take them about a week to ship your phone after you order it. Still good value! I'd also caution against ordering SD cards with the phone as you don't really know how fast they are. I've got generic Class 2 cards before - way too slow.

Do these Chinese imports have Google Play store support?

The Jiayu G2 definitly does have Google Play preloaded on the stock firmware. With other phones it's hit and miss; some like to only include strange Chinese app stores. Most work with firmware tweeks or by slideloading the Play Store and Google Services Framework.

Hi Aaron...can you be so kind and describe in more detail what you ment regarding:
These are responsive, but the Home button does rattle and could be fitted a bit more snug
I ordered this phone yesterday, and I would really like to know if that button is loose or loud?

Thank you

Don't worry, it doesn't impact functionality at all. The button just feels a bit too small for its hole in the mold. It doesn't feel like it'll break or pop out and is very responsive. Just can rattle a bit when you shake the phone :D

quick question, are the kernel sources available for these chinese import devices, and where would I request them?

They might be available somewhere. I doubt GNU GPL is something that is enforced much in China. If more western devices start using Mediatek chips it might be more likely that they'll be forced to release the source, but don't bet on it!

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
And as requested here are a few more photos taken by the G2. The 'painted' effect is still there a bit but I really do feel the camera holds up fairly well. The detail on the close up of the Dog in particular!

bas-r

bas-r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB
Those pictures aren't too good to be honest. Not compared to my SGS3 anyway.
Still, I bought one, a dualcore version. Handy to have a spare one, and maybe I can use it permanently since I now carry around two Androids, one for work and one private phone.

Anyone that can write up a nice rooting manual?

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Anyone that can write up a nice rooting manual?

Working on it! Just needing to confirm things on both single and dual core models. Will be up early in the week!

h@mster81

h@mster81

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G 16GB
Paul posted a method earlier that works on most devices running ICS/JB. I wonder if that would work?

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Paul posted a method earlier that works on most devices running ICS/JB. I wonder if that would work?

I'd probably say that it would. These China branded devices are never locked down much.

bas-r

bas-r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB

Working on it! Just needing to confirm things on both single and dual core models. Will be up early in the week!

That is really excellent!! Can't wait to get my hands on the little thing!

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i9305
  • Twitter:@meritez
anywhere selling the white version?

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
My sister wanted a white one, back when only the single core was available. It was a pain to track down, ended up paying a little premium for it. Don't know why but they're rather rare. They look really nice though.

And the root guide is up: http://www.modaco.co...-g2-root-guide/

haxxbaxx

haxxbaxx

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
would love one of these but would like some good custom roms like miui, paranoid cm etc, is there any development going on?

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

would love one of these but would like some good custom roms like miui, paranoid cm etc, is there any development going on?

if there is no kernel source, dont expect aosp, aokp, cyanogemod, miui, paranoid android etc, any time soon.

I'm sticking with Qualcomm and Tegra devices until Mediatek comply with GPL

haxxbaxx

haxxbaxx

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
recommend any good chinnese ones that have active cm etc was looking at the xioami one by miui

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

recommend any good chinnese ones that have active cm etc was looking at the xioami one by miui

I've ordered a Xiaomi M1 mi-one, its got decent aosp and miui support

ropin

ropin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
hi guys. just wanted to know whether thes phones work fully in the uk. ive read that 3g might not work.

how would i be able to check if 3g will work in the uk

thanks

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

hi guys. just wanted to know whether thes phones work fully in the uk. ive read that 3g might not work.

how would i be able to check if 3g will work in the uk

thanks

The Jiayu G2, like most newer Mediatek based phones, supports 3G over 900 and 2100 mHz. I'm not in the UK (New Zealand, :) woo), but from what I gather for most places you'll be fine. It's difficult to actually find out what providers use what 3G frequencies! If anyone knows more details it'd be great if you could share.

freshymc

freshymc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great review. Would you recommend getting the G2 or waiting a bit and getting what seems to be the superior G3?

freshymc

freshymc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Another question: does the home button have any other uses? e.g. long press for multi tasking etc.

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Go the questions! The only reason to wait for the G3 is if you want the 4.5", 720p screen. They'll both have the same MT6577 processor with the same specs. Bit bigger battery, but that'll probably go toward powering the bigger screen! ;)
Yep, and holding the home button does bring up Androids task switcher. Works great too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users