* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

freshymc

freshymc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
One more just to keep up the momentum :) : whats the chance of custom roms on this phone? i.e. CM, MIUI, AOKP etc.

bas-r

bas-r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB

The Jiayu G2, like most newer Mediatek based phones, supports 3G over 900 and 2100 mHz.
If anyone knows more details it'd be great if you could share.

I've found a chart that tells you what frequecies are used for 3G over the world. The only confusing one seems to be the U.S.A., and I would recommend checking with your provider first which bands it is using for 3G.
Most European countries seem to use 2100, which is supported by the G2, and supposedly all other phones with Mediatek chips.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

haxxbaxx

haxxbaxx

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

I've ordered a Xiaomi M1 mi-one, its got decent aosp and miui support

where from?

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i9305
  • Twitter:@meritez

where from?

I replied to you here: http://www.modaco.co...n/#entry2038238

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
Cracking review sir, really good read. With regards to the camera, I don't know what people are expecting but those are the best images I have ever seen from an android phone for £100, of course the S3 and OneX will be better but they cost at least 3X as much as this, seems pretty damn good for the price point.

Apparently the G3 has been delayed again, this time supposedly some case issues but to be honest I think Jiayu may have missed the boat on that with the quad core MTK's just round the corner, although I still really like the G3 design. Ill probably pick up a Xiaomi M2 when it drops as my M1 has served me well, but when the quad core MTK phones drop might try and pick up a cheap one too.

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
I think the G3 looks a bit ugly, to be honest. I haven't had hands on with a MT6577 device powering a 720p screen. I know that the chip maxes out at that resolution, I'm not sure how much of a hit on performance pushing that many pixels will have.

One more just to keep up the momentum :) : whats the chance of custom roms on this phone? i.e. CM, MIUI, AOKP etc.

Slim. On the eJiayiu board there are a few custom ROM's, but these are just skins over the stock kernal with fancy launchers and icon packs. You probably won't see any real custom ROM's, but the ICS implementation is solid any shoudn't give you any problems.

I've found a chart that tells you what frequecies are used for 3G over the world. The only confusing one seems to be the U.S.A., and I would recommend checking with your provider first which bands it is using for 3G.
Most European countries seem to use 2100, which is supported by the G2, and supposedly all other phones with Mediatek chips.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Neat chart, looks good for 3G compatibility.

Shahmatt

Shahmatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Devices:Jiayu G2 (6577), OSF, E51
Thanks very much for the review. I liked it so much I decided to take the plunge and buy! :-o

What convinced me was as follows:

1. IPS screen of just the right size for me
2. Really large battery
3. The dual sim feature, two cores, 1GB RAM
4. A good design that looks non slippery and won't scratch easily
5. The 168 USD price tag for all of the above!

Do we know if the MTK6577 can be overclocked?

Though an established community would usually be my prerequisite, my instinct tells me to chance this one! Oh well, the future will tell.

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Do we know if the MTK6577 can be overclocked?

Though an established community would usually be my prerequisite, my instinct tells me to chance this one! Oh well, the future will tell.

Some cheap clone devices claim to have the 6577 clocked at 1.2ghz, but I'm not sure if this is an actual overclock or just fudged specs and numbers.

Shahmatt

Shahmatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Some cheap clone devices claim to have the 6577 clocked at 1.2ghz, but I'm not sure if this is an actual overclock or just fudged specs and numbers.

Undervolting that CPU to stretch the monster battery would also be nice.

I wonder if ROM developers will take an interest. Oer perhaps it's too late - I see many of them in the Huawei G300 forums! :-/

Edited by Shahmatt, 16 October 2012 - 09:27 AM.

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Undervolting that CPU to stretch the monster battery would also be nice.

Did see this on the Jiayu BBS (Google Translated)

bolinao

bolinao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Meizu M9
Great review... just a couple of questions please.

How can you update the firmware when it becomes available ?

Does it have OTA updates available in the settings menu ?

I have been to the Jiayu website and Chinese is not my forte ,so I understood very little.
Can us English people be able to update the fw easy enough ??

thanks and my Jiayu G2 dual core should arrive tomorrow.. so excited.

kgbraw

kgbraw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:K800i
Hi, Nice review.
I have seen in other places that Jiayu G2 may only support 3G on 2100, not 900. ¿Can you confirm that it has the 900 band? Usually if you enter engineer mode there is a "Bandmode" section to confirm this, although I do not know the code to enter that, on a rooted phone that should be easier...

tiktok1

tiktok1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Desire s
Interesting phone and review.
Is there an LED for missed texts/calls ?

Shahmatt

Shahmatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
@ aaroNiGHTs

Thanks very much for the resources mate. I also came across your root guide here.

http://www.modaco.co...-g2-root-guide/

You've really helped get the ball rolling on this phone. Let it keep rolling I say...

aaroNiGHTS

aaroNiGHTS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

How can you update the firmware when it becomes available ?
Does it have OTA updates available in the settings menu ?

You can use the 'System Update' app to do a system update from Over the Air or a zip file on the SD card. Currently, there is no update available for the dual core model. If one becomes available I'll be sure to post about it here.

Hi, Nice review.
I have seen in other places that Jiayu G2 may only support 3G on 2100, not 900. ¿Can you confirm that it has the 900 band? Usually if you enter engineer mode there is a "Bandmode" section to confirm this, although I do not know the code to enter that, on a rooted phone that should be easier...

Fairly sure it supports 3G over 900mHz. I've had 3G coverage over New Zealand networks on providers that only support 900.

Interesting phone and review.
Is there an LED for missed texts/calls ?

Yep! There is a little LED next to the speaker. Blinks green when you have a new notification.

bas-r

bas-r

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB

Yep! There is a little LED next to the speaker. Blinks green when you have a new notification.

Wow!!! This phone seems to have evertything, except for the kernel sources that is.

kaiyoti

kaiyoti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SII, Jiayu G2+
I just got this phone and I'm having trouble trying to connect it to ANY network. Did you have any issues with getting it to find any network? I'm not even looking to get 3g working. I'm in Canada, Bell network: UMTS/HSPA 850MHz and/or 1900MHz.

I'm putting my SIM card into the top slot correct?

bolinao

bolinao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I see this phone is being sold on Aliexpress with gorilla glass now.. not sure about that.

kaiyoti

kaiyoti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SII, Jiayu G2+
According to the Chinese forums... 1010 (Oct 10) releases of this phone comes with Gorilla Glass.

bolinao

bolinao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well after using the G2 for about a week now ,I must say I am dissapointed in the way the phones screen seems to resist scrolling through pages,especially going from the top of a web page to the bottom quickly.
It just does not happen quickly and you need to flick several times to get to the bottom.
It seems to resist doing this,I am use to flicking the screen and it moving lightning fast and fluently to the bottom of a page.
This is annoying enough for me to not use the phone any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users