Jiayu G2 Root guide

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Guest aaroNiGHTS

This guide is for the Dual Core MT6577 Jiayu G2 ONLY. Requires a Windows based machine.

The dual-core Jiayu G2 is a relatively new phone, and I'm unable to locate a prebaked firmware with root. Fortunately, there is a easy rooting solution that can be done! This guide is very similar to the one for the Acer Gallant Duo, the flashing program is the same but the files required are different. If you have already installed the drivers for another Mediatek device you won't need to do it again.

1: Download this file and extract it: http://ge.tt/api/1/f...0/blob?download

2: Copy ' G2S_MTK6577_1GB_Root.zip' to your SD Card

3: Turn off your phone and remove the battery

4: Reinsert the battery and THEN connect it via USB. Open up device manager on your PC, find the new 'Unknown device' and point it to the directory where you extracted the files from

5: Load up 'Flash_tool.exe'. Set 'MT6577_Android_scatter_emmc.txt' as the Scatter loading file. Double click on 'Recovery' (7th in the list) and select 'G2S_MT6577_1G_recovery.img'.

6: Click Download. Wait for a green circle to show up. Your phone now has a flash new Recovery ROM!

7: Disconnect the cable. Turn on the phone by holding Power and Volume + simultaneously.

8: You're in the recovery menu. Select 'install zip from sdcard' then 'choose zip from sdcard' and select the file 'G2S_MTK6577_1GB_Root.zip'.

Congratulations, your phone is now rooted and ready to go! If your phone plays up run a factory reset and it should fix it. Now that you have Recovery running on your G2 it might be worthwhile to make a backup.

Guest Enigmaximus

Thanks for this bro. Been looking forever. However, I'm experiencing a problem. I get stuck at number 6. At the bottom it just stays "searching" and the progress bar remains at 0%. Everything went well with the previous steps. Please help as it's killing me. Thanks a ton bro.

Guest aaroNiGHTS

I think your phone isn't entering Flash mode. Make sure you remove the battery and put it back in before jacking in the USB. Following this, do any Unknown Devices show up in device manager? If the drivers aren't installed correctly the program won't detect the phone.

Guest Enigmaximus

Hi. Yes, unknown devices does show up in device manager but only after I did the "hold down power and volume up buttons" simultaneously. I also installed the drivers from the extracted folder as instructed. Also, I always receive this warning upon selecting download about all images not being loaded correctly. Please refer to the attached screenshots for reference. As you can see, I'm also using the 512m files as I have the 512mb version of the J2+. Thanks.

post-996196-0-84972100-1350474657_thumb.

post-996196-0-91517900-1350474663_thumb.

post-996196-0-22643800-1350475140_thumb.

Edited by Enigmaximus

Guest aaroNiGHTS

That error seems to be saying that you're only going to flash the Recovery file and no the whole ROM. It seems some versions of the Flashing tool give this warning and others don't. Click Yes - everything should be fine; you're not going to run into any errors flashing just recovery. The phone will still boot like normal even if Recovery is modified.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shahmatt

I had difficulty rooting my phone. bas-r's method worked for me after a while but I kept getting an error "cannot connect to daemon" at step 5.

I came across this link:

http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/595470-how-enable-superuser.html

Downloaded the file suggested by EarlyMon:

http://androidforums.com/attachments/faqs/24864d1323129390-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-sdk-tools.zip

And then I was able to complete the process.

Guest Al_1604

I managed to get the red bar to 100% but then it stopped and gave an error about not working without all components.

Tried the 'One click root' method and took a few attempts but I'm now rooted though I would like to have this recovery.

If I power up holding volume up I get the initial boot logo followed by what I can only describe as a 'dead android' picture with a red exclamation mark - I assume this is telling me that I have no recovery as no buttons respond or do anything once I get to this screen, only a battery pull does anything. The phone works just fine though.

Guest Shahmatt

I managed to get the red bar to 100% but then it stopped and gave an error about not working without all components.

Tried the 'One click root' method and took a few attempts but I'm now rooted though I would like to have this recovery.

If I power up holding volume up I get the initial boot logo followed by what I can only describe as a 'dead android' picture with a red exclamation mark - I assume this is telling me that I have no recovery as no buttons respond or do anything once I get to this screen, only a battery pull does anything. The phone works just fine though.

I get the same "Exclamation Mark" icon.

Do you plan to install recovery at any point? I've taken a look at Clockworkmod but the recent comments on the Play Store are alarmingly negative. For this reason I've been considering installing 4ext. Google Play Store says that the device is compatible but I think I best make sure by sending the developer a message. A free apk download is available on 4ext.net.

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest aliaird

Do you guys have anything showing when you open the "update System" app?

Mine says "Update 1 - upgrade info - nothing" but when I click it, it reboots into the dead android logo as above, then a battery pull is required.

Guest Al_1604

Mine just says 'no update', what 'Build Number' do you have (in 'About phone')?, mine's 'G2H 20120910-132127' - as far as I can see on ejiayu.com this is the latest for the dual core 1G RAM 'Standard edition'.

SD Card update file for this version (link obtained from ejiayu.com): http://kuai.xunlei.c...MWAXFT?p=987597

Edited by Al_1604

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leopesto

which method is better, this or the one click root??

isn't it possible to root it just flashing the G2S_MTK6577_512MB_Root.zip with the "Update system" app (a sort of recovery) ???

Edited by leopesto

Guest leopesto

I'm trying to understand how to root it without windows....

look at this... this is the updater-script of the G2S-MTK6577-*-Root.zip...

http://pastebin.com/J6NuEY7h

omitting the ui_prints and the stage where it removes the jiayu apps you get

assert(package_extract_file("boot.img", "/tmp/boot.img"),

write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "bootimg"),

delete("/tmp/boot.img"));

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3", "/system");

set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");

package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/app/Superuser.apk");

set_perm(0, 0, 06755, "/system/xbin/su");

set_perm(0, 0, 04755, "/system/bin/bash");

set_perm(0, 2000, 04755, "/system/bin/busybox");

unmount("/system");

that's all what seems to need to root the phone, it's easy and I think it could be done by the "update system" app...

the only thing I can't understand is why is it flashing the kernel... won't it work with the custom kernel built-in?

edit: tried to apply the root.zip with the update system app but got a red warning...

Edited by leopesto

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest alexport

Is there a JellyBean ROM for the Jiayu G2H? It is weird for them to update the single core version and not the Dual core one...

Does anybody know if there is a ROM including greek system language?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...