Help upgrading Ascend G300 to ICS..."Update Failed"

Guest denzele

Guest Athiril

I'm also having the problems... nothing works, not the spanish one above, not the downgrade upgrade, not other roms, and not the stock huawei roms, they all say update failed.. on B900 also.

Guest bogomips

Fellow Aussie here.

I had a similar problem the other day - to fix it, I took the micro SDcard out of the phone, and used an SDcard to microsd card and a card reader plugged into my computer. On the microsd card, I created an empty folder called "dload" and placed the middle update (UPDATE.APP, about 1kb) on it. Put the microsd back into the g300, pulled out the battery of the G300, put it back in, and with BOTH UP AND DOWN VOLUME BUTTONS pushed and held in, I Pushed and held in the POWER button.

The middle update finished installing in a jiffy, then it went into the update loop again, so I removed the microsd, took out the battery, and replaced the 1kb UPDATE.APP on the microsd with a copy of ICS c00b934's UPDATE.APP. (it should also work if you want to downgrade from ICS to GB with a GB update.app). I put the microsd back into the phone, put the battery in (always important :P) and held down BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS and pushed and held in the POWER button. The ICS update installed with no problems, and when the phone rebooted, the "Huawei Loop of Death" (HLOD) was gone.

See how you go.

bogo.

Guest denzele

Fellow Aussie here.

I had a similar problem the other day - to fix it, I took the micro SDcard out of the phone, and used an SDcard to microsd card and a card reader plugged into my computer. On the microsd card, I created an empty folder called "dload" and placed the middle update (UPDATE.APP, about 1kb) on it. Put the microsd back into the g300, pulled out the battery of the G300, put it back in, and with BOTH UP AND DOWN VOLUME BUTTONS pushed and held in, I Pushed and held in the POWER button.

The middle update finished installing in a jiffy, then it went into the update loop again, so I removed the microsd, took out the battery, and replaced the 1kb UPDATE.APP on the microsd with a copy of ICS c00b934's UPDATE.APP. (it should also work if you want to downgrade from ICS to GB with a GB update.app). I put the microsd back into the phone, put the battery in (always important :P) and held down BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS and pushed and held in the POWER button. The ICS update installed with no problems, and when the phone rebooted, the "Huawei Loop of Death" (HLOD) was gone.

See how you go.

bogo.

To Bogomips,

Lucky for you mate that you succeeded.For me it didn't work with "middle package" which ever way you put it...

Guest funbags666

Aussie vodafhone g300 user here. Luckily my phone is still usable but it fails all firmware updates. I notice the aussie version is b900. Looks like we have some unique firmware and I'd say it's programmed to not accept anything that doesn't come from vodafone au

Guest Ante111

@ "denzele" :

Do you have a backup of the old IMEI?

Take old (from an old backup) imeibackup, install 5iromToolBox, insert the directory 5irom, restore.

Then try to install the new ROM ... UPDATE.APP

Me it worked ( pink strip ).

( sorry - Google Translator )

1)Take your imeibackup folder from your pc

2)Paste it on your sd card on folder /sdcard/5irom/imeibackup/

3)Open the 5iromtoolbox

4)Press Restore IMEI and restart your phone...

Guest denzele

Aussie vodafhone g300 user here. Luckily my phone is still usable but it fails all firmware updates. I notice the aussie version is b900. Looks like we have some unique firmware and I'd say it's programmed to not accept anything that doesn't come from vodafone au

Yep that's been on my mind as well. Defiantly something to do with that version.

@ "denzele" :

Do you have a backup of the old IMEI?

Take old (from an old backup) imeibackup, install 5iromToolBox, insert the directory 5irom, restore.

Then try to install the new ROM ... UPDATE.APP

Me it worked ( pink strip ).

( sorry - Google Translator )

1)Take your imeibackup folder from your pc

2)Paste it on your sd card on folder /sdcard/5irom/imeibackup/

3)Open the 5iromtoolbox

4)Press Restore IMEI and restart your phone...

I do have back up of IMEI but I don't have phone anymore.I took it back to shop wait and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest denzele

long time no talk hehe..

Just to let know anyone if still wondering what happen to me and my bricked phone.Menaged to get new one.Thanks God it took 4 weeks but I got my ascend brand new back.Not gonna do stupid thing again ( THIS SHOLUD BE WARNING FOR ALL OF YOU OUT THERE DO NOT USE UNLOCKBOOTLOADER.EXE ICS ON GB ) . I will just wait patiently on official release of ICS .Case closed!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest anarchisttomato

Hi all,

Not planning on sticking around, but wanted to make a one time post for fellow Aussies with 'bricked' G300s. A mate and I were trying to upgrade my phone and ran into the same problem, but after many hours finally found a fix, after being stuck that damned 900 update from Vodafone. I was doing something else at the time he got it working, so I can't give any indepth answers to you may have, but he gave me the following brief notes:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDcwMjk=

update that worked using the dload\UPDATA.APP on SD card method

Hold up and down vol then power

This rom was quite new, from mid-December, so if you've given up on your phone, have another go with this image, hope it works. :)

Cheers,

John

Guest denzele

Hi guys

Wasn't planing posting any more on this thread but since I finally managed to upgrade to ISC or even better CM10 latest running...love it thanks to all there putting their effort and making such a fantastic job with this phone..WE SALUTE YOU...

and yes for all Aussies if you planing to upgrade to ICS don't upgrade to B900 version otherwise you'll find it very hard to do so..or you just going to end up with bricked phone like in my case [read all thread] ...if anyone needs any help with this matter please ask..Glad to help as much as I can...

post-996611-0-72275500-1358514514_thumb.

post-996611-0-76291900-1358514528_thumb.

• 1 year later...

Hi guysWasn't planing posting any more on this thread but since I finally managed to upgrade to ISC or even better CM10 latest running...love it thanks to all there putting their effort and making such a fantastic job with this phone..WE SALUTE YOU...and yes for all Aussies if you planing to upgrade to ICS don't upgrade to B900 version otherwise you'll find it very hard to do so..or you just going to end up with bricked phone like in my case [read all thread] ...if anyone needs any help with this matter please ask..Glad to help as much as I can...

Hi denzele!

How do you update your baseband to 2030? I have your same problem with an Huawei G300 B900 GB..

Thanks