55 replies to this topic

Buffalo Soldier

Buffalo Soldier

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300

I've never had a 3G random reboot on my g300. I updated through the vodaphone UK updates to b952, then upgraded to the global b952 the official way. I then rooted and unlocked the bootloader to install cm10. No issues at all.

Do you keep your 3G data on all the time???

sssingletrack

sssingletrack

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, ZTE Blade

Do you keep your 3G data on all the time???

I do not keep it on constant but it is on a lot of the time

Huawei Ascend G300, running different roms all the time!

Buffalo Soldier

Buffalo Soldier

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I installed ShenDu rom last night to test 3G reboots problem, and I can say that it's working without a reboot for 36 hours and counting...
This is great news for me, cause I've been having reboots ever since I upgraded from stock GB. So this is the combination that seems to be working fine:
Stock GB + B926 update.app + root, unlockbootloader, CWM + ShenDu-U8818-v4.1.2-121228. (without flashing any RIL)

Edited by Buffalo Soldier, 08 January 2013 - 01:02 PM.

clauscdi

clauscdi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
@Buffalo Soldier how is it after a few days? any reboots?

Buffalo Soldier

Buffalo Soldier

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

@Buffalo Soldier how is it after a few days? any reboots?

I had few reboots, but in totally different areas, cause my biggest problem were reboots at my work, but now they appeared while I was at home.
I installed 130111 version today so we'll see what it's like.

vhristenco

vhristenco

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Devices:G300, G630
Few day ago I uograded (again) to ics.
This time I took the "official" route: flash stock gb, ota upgrade to B936, and then flash official B952.

No problems so far. The phone ran B952 for two days without a single reboot.

But after 2 days something came across my mind: a cwm backup.
So I rooted it, install cwm ans made a backup.

After a few hours reboots started again...

So my question is: is it possible that these reboots have something to do with messing with the bootloader? Everything seems to be working just fine before changing the bootloader.

Buffalo Soldier

Buffalo Soldier

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
It has reported by many users that these reboots start to appear after unlocking bootloader.
But if you ask me is it worth it, to be on CM9-10 and to have this issue, I'll say hell yeah!!! :D

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
Some other posts that may be of interest here:

A hypothesis about what might be happening to cause such reboots: http://www.modaco.co...20#entry2080339
A simple workaround: http://www.modaco.co...40#entry2080660

Hope this helps.

ivan.arandjelovic

ivan.arandjelovic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S4
Well, I would say it's 100% confirmed that without unlocking the boot loader and installing CWM reboots are not present. I'm back to stock 952 and only rooted it - and of course, no reboots at all.

I just wonder what part introduces reboots: bootloader unlocking, or installing CWM? And, if it's CWM to blame, could it be that TWR or some other recovery (not sure if there is any) will not cause reboots maybe?

Or, is it just bootloader unlocking, in which case I doubt we can do anything else.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • Devices:Crescent, G300, Y300, Nexus 5
  • Twitter:@Dazzozo
Try locking the bootloader again after rooting and installing a custom ROM?

Like my work? Give me rep!

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

daVil

daVil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:G300
How to lock the bootloader again? I was looking around but couldnt find a solution.

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
I was just going to ask the same question! :) My guess is that you get the original boot loader image file (from where?) and flash that? I presume that the unlocking process modifies this slightly to unlock it? Maybe somebody could post precise details on how to do this or links to where it is explained? I had a look here but the details are not teased out:

http://www.modaco.co...ock-bootloader/

ivan.arandjelovic

ivan.arandjelovic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I have not found a way to re-lock bootloader again, apart from re-installing stock update, which will delete CWM again, of course.

I'm too tired of re-setting my phone after each update, otherwise I would try only to unlock bootloader (and not install CWM), just to see if this is the thing that will trigger re-boots.

If anyone tries this please post your experience here,thanks.

Edited by ivan.arandjelovic, 30 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
It's time we learned the real terminology :P

The ICS bootloader isn't locked, it's just configured to use some Qualcomm suite instead of fastboot. You can hop to any bootloader at will by replacing the bootloader and oemsbl images.

I can probably whip something up later.

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
Slightly off topic ... I would like to learn the real terminology but it seems difficult to fine clear and authoritative info on a lot of this stuff. Believe me I've searched and read up quite a bit but am still confused by some of the terminology and the taxonomy of an Adroid system in general and the G300 in particular. Are there any good resources explaining, for example, how the following stack up (in the order listed from the "bottom up" I presume?), what exactly they do, what form they come in (e.g. img versus zip etc.), dependencies between each "layer" and how each can be updated etc.: recovery (stock or custom such as CWM or TWRP), bootloader (uBoot?), Linux kernel, Androind proper (system services + dalvik VM etc.)?

ivan.arandjelovic

ivan.arandjelovic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Dazzozo, it's now obvious what noobs we are :)

But, just from theoretical point of view, isn't bootloader in charge only of loading the OS initially? And recovery is only piece of ROM on separate partition used for, well, recovery (when booted from this partition) - hope I have not missed by a mile here.

Now, both of these things should have nothing to do with the OS once it is booted and operating normally, I guess (or am I wrong)? Then how could it be that one of these two things affects OS behavior (in this particular case causing reboots when signal changes from 2G->3G and vice-verse couple of times.. )?

Or is there more tight integration between the OS and bootloader (or recovery)?

Edited by ivan.arandjelovic, 30 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
Maybe, but the bootloader "unlock" also swaps the oemsbl image which runs on the baseband processor.

I'm not stating that this is the real reason, but if people are running stock ROMs with and without the bootloader being replaced and having 3G reboots on the former, this device just became a PITA. :P

Edit: okay, turns out this has been proved in IRC, Huawei do have a lock of some sort on the ics bootloader, though they do also have security through obscurity by not using fastboot.

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
So just to clarify ... I take it that it's still just speculation/anecdotal that the locked bootloader prevents 3G restarts while the unlocked one causes them?

daVil

daVil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:G300
I had constant reboots on every rom after unlocking the bootloader and/or installing cwm recovery. I tried official update.app and left everything else and the reboots have gone completely. Then I just unlocked the loader and the reboots started again but I wanted to use CWM 10.1 so it's okay :)

Right now I'm using llama to automatically switch to 2g when the screen goes black and switch back to 3g when the screen turns back on. It's stable since then and I can live with that setup. I'm still eager to try relocking the bootloader though, to get rid of that extra app.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

So just to clarify ... I take it that it's still just speculation/anecdotal that the locked bootloader prevents 3G restarts while the unlocked one causes them?

Yes. We have no way to unlock the ICS bootloader at the moment. Working on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users