ICS Source Released - When Will It Be Installable?

Guest DeejUK

Hi all,

I've had an account around these parts for many years now, but I'm not really very fluent in the realm of installing ROMs on phones - so please forgive any naivety on my part!

I saw that LG have released the ICS source for the 2X. I'd really rather like to use the new Xbox SmartGlass app that requires ICS, so naturally I'm quite excited at the prospect of an installable ROM being made available so I can use ICS on my 2X.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of this happening is, and when such a ROM might be available?

I'm currently running a ROM from Modaco that I installed very early in the phone's lifespan, the filename of which is "Fr11-update-modacocustomrom-2x-kitchen-unsigned" dated 12th April 2011. If an ICS ROM is months away, do you think it's worth me upgrading to a more recent ROM? If so, which?

One final question (sorry there's so many!) is that when I installed my previous ROM, the phone was virtually brand new so I didn't have any data to lose. What would I lose exactly by installing a new ROM? Would it wipe all system data?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate your tolerance of my daft questions :)

When Ricardo gets CM10 (Jelly Bean) out - which depends on when its ready (couple of days is current guess). Kang and other ROM creators have promised to hold off a while to give him his time in the sun for doing the hard work.

As for the stock ICS ROM from LG - sometime this side of hell freezing over, but only just.

Generally they create derivative works, different ROMs - eg like Paranoid Android, etc.

Ricardo is the main CM10 guy, and the one who has had access to the source for ICS on the 2X for a while now - hence why people are waiting for him to deliver 2X ready kernels, drivers.

Guest ethansp

Generally they create derivative works, different ROMs - eg like Paranoid Android, etc.

Ricardo is the main CM10 guy, and the one who has had access to the source for ICS on the 2X for a while now - hence why people are waiting for him to deliver 2X ready kernels, drivers.

Sorry, "The one"? Your are wrong with that. Here is the source for ics: http://www.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensource-detail.jsp?detailCustomerModelCode=LGSU660

Anyone with knownledge can compile it. Other talk is about modify it to p990.

I lost my hope in modaco with this abandoned device. I don't see any work from modaco since about 1 year ago. We have to wait to ricardo to upload their modifies to github.

... the one who has had access to the source for ICS on the 2X for a while now ...

Sorry, "The one"? Your are wrong with that. Here is the source for ics: http://www.lg.com/gl...delCode=LGSU660

Anyone with knownledge can compile it. Other talk is about modify it to p990.

I lost my hope in modaco with this abandoned device. I don't see any work from modaco since about 1 year ago. We have to wait to ricardo to upload their modifies to github.

If you read what I wrote, you'll see that Ricardo has had access to the source code for a while, before it was generally released recently. Therefore he's had more time to work with it and integrate with the CM10 codebase. Note also that although this source release incorporates P990 switches, it's released for the SU660, no gurantees that it will compile right for the P990.

Guest everett_psycho

The key thing is we've had ics for a while now but its been missing key parts where hardware acceleration is needed, so things like recording video and using chrome don't work. The su660 is the korean version of the o2x but the blobs needed to fix up the cm9 and 10 we already have can be extracted from the su660.

RC has had access for longer than most but I don't think it was a final version he had, he isn't far off from releasing it seems but it is a case of its done when it done, I've been watching the ics thread on czar's as those guys seems to be keeping a much loser eye on it than I have the time to do.

And to the op, take a look around. Fr19 is very old, you can at least move up to gingerbread, I'm using paranoid android that's based on cm9, it doesn't do hwa but its one of the most stable roms I've tried

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest dbbloke

Seems to work with this link, http://get.cm/?device=p990

Not Ice Cream but Jelly Bean. I'm trying the most recent of the two files.

Thanks RC

Device Type Filename Size Date Added

p990

LG Optimus 2X nightly Direct Download: cm-10-20121030-NIGHTLY-p990.zip

md5sum: a756c4747b8cbb331b58aaa3653aeaa4 Short URL: http://get.cm/get/4y3 147.68 MB 2012-10-30 16:56:34

p990

LG Optimus 2X nightly Direct Download: cm-10-20121030-NIGHTLY-p990.zip

md5sum: bd38483fc3af39cc8d8fa548abbf6ac7 Short URL: http://get.cm/get/4y2 147.68 MB 2012-10-30 15:07:06

Edited by dbbloke

Guest everett_psycho

SD cards are there in the second file, had to copy my old backup to a different folder for titanium but it worked eventually. Have to say this is a huge improvement over what I had been running, nice and quick, very smooth. Have to say a huge thanks to rc for all his work and making the o2x what it should be

I installed th second build from the link above, and I'm blown away by how much faster everything is. It's like having a totaly new phone. I've yet to find anything that doesn't work, but I've only been using it for about 12 hours.

Really impressed, and very grateful to the people involved!

Guest mankian

Mine keeps locking up, though I'm sure thats hardware as it did on CM7 also...

Both SD Cards are shown, however you can only format the "Primary" SD card. Not sure if thats a JB bug or CM bug

By default the small internal storage is the 'Primary' SD Card which will be limiting for apps that require a lot of SD-card space!! Fortunatly a small tweak to the vold.fstab switched the SD cards ;) so now the big external card is primary and the internal storage is secondary...

Disappionted about no encrypted file system... but thats googles fault !

Goes without saying that everything RC has done is hugely appreciated... I really wouldn't expect anyone to support a device so old and 'past it'. Nice one !

Haven't noticed the SMS thing, but now the phone app is crashing and not allowing me to actually connect calls! I tested it last night by dialling the wife's number, and it rang, so I figured that was enough. Problem is that if I dial someone and they pick up, the phone app crashes. Bit of a problem!

Guest mankian

I dont have that problem... (thank god). I would try with a different baseband, the v20g gingerbread one seems to work well for me. Might have sorted my address book issue by setting the locale to GB in build.prop rather than US, though this now seems to have broken voice input (but I dont care about that)

Guest mankian

Good instructions for manually changing your baseband here: http://www.modaco.co...5-v20l-version/

Includes the smartflash software also.

A selection of basebands here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1658047

Which one to use is not really something anyone can answer. A baseband may work great for one person and piss-poor for another. I just ran the LG-Software update and let it put my phone back to latest-stock with the baseband LG would install. After that I had to nvflash clockworkmod and finally install CM10. The baseband (v20g - cant find a link for it anywhere online) seems to work really well up to now. Alternatively I think Ricardo (main CM10 dev for P990) uses an old V10b baseband (0218-V10b-Baseband MD5: 7ed159f97be5fabb4c6c9dabf1c84a76) from the above XDA link.

Edit: also I'm Vodafone and UK

Edited by mankian