New Phone Suggestions

Guest betterthanjordan79

Guest betterthanjordan79

Hi guys,

I'm planning on getting a new phone sometime soon as I feel that my skate is on its last legs. I'm looking for some suggestions of what other people are considering or should I wait it out for another few weeks/ months. Money isn't a massive issue but I'd be looking for something that will be worth the extra bucks!! All suggestions accepted.

My personal favorite as of now is the Huawei Ascend D1 Quad XL or the ZTE Grand Era as they both have Quad cores and Micro SD slots.

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by betterthanjordan79

Guest betterthanjordan79

Nexus 4.

That would definitely have been a top contender if they just had have put a micro SD card slot in it...I listen to music all the time and have a 32GB SD card and I'm not really open to using cloud media players as the coverage isn't great in Ireland...

Guest hugobosslives

i want to upgrade to the nexus 4. but LTE will probs be common by early next year (as once other networks get it prices should be reasonable) and i don't want to buy the 3g only nexus and then be stuck with 3g for next 18 months.

thus, i'd say wait until the new year. should be more lte phones out then.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use LTE at the moment as its both expensive and i don't need it. But I think I will want it sometime in 2013 and I would want the nexus 4 to last me more than a year.

Guest Pondlife

I really don't see 4g being common early next year. Will be spring before auction is over at earliest I'd think and then they have to start rolling out the tech, which is unlikely to be fast.

Guest omegavesko
i want to upgrade to the nexus 4. but LTE will probs be common by early next year (as once other networks get it prices should be reasonable) and i don't want to buy the 3g only nexus and then be stuck with 3g for next 18 months.

thus, i'd say wait until the new year. should be more lte phones out then.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use LTE at the moment as its both expensive and i don't need it. But I think I will want it sometime in 2013 and I would want the nexus 4 to last me more than a year.

HSPA+ is more than fast enough if you ask me.

Nexus 4 for me, unless you live in the major towns in the UK, don't expect LTE/4G till 2014.

And I do agree, HDSPA+ is definitely good enough for me.

Edited by Haxorg

Guest plegdroid
If you want a cheap phone, get the Huawei Ascend G300. £100 before unlock (which may cost) Vodafone in UK

or asda @£79.99 :)

me personally, nexus 4, at the price Google are asking for it,it's a no brainer even without lte. :)

sayings that Google has set a president with it's pricing, so expect all the other major players to drop their prices soon.

Edited by plegdroid

Guest utternoob

Haha. The lack of MicroSD and extra £40 for around 5-6gb of extra storage is a bit of a Putoff as 16gb is too much but 8gb isn't enough space. Hence G300 as MicroSD slot :)

Guest hugobosslives

:D just gotta sweet talk my Mrs for a N4 :D

think there will be quite of few of us "skaters" moving up to the n4. i'm 75ish per cent confident atm (only lack of LTE is putting me off).

If I do cave. I'll see you there pete :D

Haha. The lack of MicroSD and extra £40 for around 5-6gb of extra storage is a bit of a Putoff as 16gb is too much but 8gb isn't enough space. Hence G300 as MicroSD slot :)

Yer but your looking at over 100 quid unlocked plus microsd for a out dated 1 ghz single core when you can pay just over double that for a four cores of an s4 pro with an awesome screen and the nexus experience!

seriously tho guys. this phone is a steal. LG have a set a RRP of 549 euros. (470-499ish pounds). For 239/279 sim free. I don't think I can miss this one.

Guest utternoob

That's true, I just don't think I can spend that much on a phone just yet. 279 sim free isn't bad, got Google to notify me when 16gb is available so I can decide. Shouldn't be long, right?

Guest Nofan Tasi

I also wonder why one cannot have microSD storage in new Google

devices, but, maybe, even for people with big music/picture collection

(as me), one can manage to have some reasonable variable choice

available internally and, at home, access everything via LAN. Sure I

do -not- defend the lack of microSD storage, let that be clear...

think there will be quite of few of us "skaters" moving up to the n4. i'm 75ish per cent confident atm (only lack of LTE is putting me off).

If I do cave. I'll see you there pete :D

Yer but your looking at over 100 quid unlocked plus microsd for a out dated 1 ghz single core when you can pay just over double that for a four cores of an s4 pro with an awesome screen and the nexus experience!

seriously tho guys. this phone is a steal. LG have a set a RRP of 549 euros. (470-499ish pounds). For 239/279 sim free. I don't think I can miss this one.

Of course for the price the nex is untouchable

Same as the g300

And its been out 6 months and still nothing i know of even close in uk for 80£ and the dev community is ticking along nicely

Guest omegavesko
I would love to have a nexus 4. Hope it has the same amount of ROMs as we have for our skate right now..

It's a nexus, it'll have ten times the amount of ROMs we have on the skate.

Guest hugobosslives

It's a nexus, it'll have ten times the amount of ROMs we have on the skate.

and even that is an understatement

Edited by hugobosslives