• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Horsa

Horsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:OSD, Sony Xperia U
Not branded so it has no street cred, too expensive even at the discounted rate to be kids/budget phone and bootloader locked so of little interest to "sceners".

Doomed.

But very nice none the less.

MrPuddington

MrPuddington

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Devices:Android

Explains the price plummet then. They should have done much better from this phone as it is one hell of a device.

It is, but without BBC iPlayer and without a JB update it is pretty much doomed anyway.

grizzlyflea

grizzlyflea

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
im not sure. maybe they just don't have it on the orange website anymore. the reason I say this is because the other day I popped into my local EE store and asked if they'd have any san Diegos in stock for next week and they said they would DEFINITELY have them in the stock.

geoff1951

geoff1951

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, Nexus 4
Sorry grizzlyflea, and everyone else, but I think we've seen the best days of the SD. Contacted local shop, spoke to someone with some sense. Was told that the phone I'd ordered on the web would be in after I got an another email. Spoke to Customer services, online order section, nice bloke in Newcastle. Advised me to cancel the order, he hadn't heard of one passing through their system for days.
Tried three local shops in person for stock, none available nor expected. NEVER believe any shop assistatnt who says DEFINITELY. I would be VERY surprised if any more SDs hit the shops again. As Horsa said, no branding, no street cred. It might have sold in thousands, but iPhones and Samsungs sell in millions. It's had a lifespan of six months, around half the main players - iphone, HTC, Samsung.

IMHO it's turned out to be an experiment by Intel to see if their chip worked in the real world. It has, but it's been let down by poor support by Orange and poor build quality. Maybe if Vodafone had been behind it, then it'd have been a bigger success?

I also spoke to customer services about my duff power button. Sorry, not covered by Intel's 2 year warranty, wear and tear. but we will send it off for free repair. It's not fit for purpose, I said - only 6 months old. Threatened them with trading standards, young lad (who kept calling me "mate") had no response. Offered a loan phone, a cheap Samsung flip, or a Galaxy Ace - if I left 60 quid deposit !!!!!! Wouldn't do a straight swop. even though I said the web is full of reports of this. (which supports my view that it's already deleted.)

In any event, it's STILL a great phone, with a great screen, but we've been guinea pigs, pure and simple, sucked in by a low price. When my contract finishes, and the two others I pay for (wife and daughter) I'm away from Orange like a shot. And next time it'll have to be HTC or Samsung, I'm sorry to say.

Meanwhile, I'll carry on, using Xolo ICS, and thank everyone here for the helpful and amazing work put in by Ricky and others.

Cheers!

jasonXXx

jasonXXx

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Devices:orange san diego
  • Twitter:@ebayhomepc
Regardless of it being discontinued or not I could not care less to be honest its a fantastic phone with xolo and a few mods tweaks runs super sweet plays games nice and smooth its completely stock android now and it cost £99 with free headphones for £99 as long as I get my full warranty and fixed if it brakes I'm happy more then happy absolute steel.

Also known as ngagephone @ xda developers
Device: Orange san diego

Recovery: STOCK
Rom: STOCK

grizzlyflea

grizzlyflea

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
When did you last check. I checked yesterday and there were some in stock. I'm just hoping there still are :/

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Devices:nexus 7

In any event, it's STILL a great phone, with a great screen, but we've been guinea pigs, pure and simple, sucked in by a low price. When my contract finishes, and the two others I pay for (wife and daughter) I'm away from Orange like a shot. And next time it'll have to be HTC or Samsung, I'm sorry to say.

Take a look at what htc and samsung phones you could get for the price of this at launch and compare them with this and the support they've got too.

grizzlyflea

grizzlyflea

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
So does anyone know of any other places selling these at a respectable price?

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF

When did you last check. I checked yesterday and there were some in stock. I'm just hoping there still are :/

If you mean online then the PAYG phones were out of stock awhile ago and the listing has now been removed, you can still find it on the contract section however.

Everybody else feeling abandoned? Admittedly I've got an awesomely fast phone at a good price(I bought it at the £170 price point), I came from the OSF so it's like lightening to me. It was bought as an early Xmas present from the wife and I'm stuck with it for 2 years so I'll enjoy it until that time.
As geoff1951 says, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is discontinued although it's way too short a lifetime.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

geoff1951

geoff1951

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, Nexus 4
Just to clarify, I think it's a great phone. I believe (but willing to be proved wrong by Orange) that it's discontinued, and only stock in shops remains.
It's Orange who've raised my blood pressure, with their slooooowww website, incorrect/out of date/misleading/insufficient information, failure of the site to process Best Plan changes, then the call centre staff doing likewise though promised they have done the change, but instead added a package I didn't ask for, then the shoddy process over my web purchase. And that's only over the past three months.

One final example - just for curiosity through my account on the web I looked at upgrading to an HTC One X, upgrade price on my tariff £169. I know I'm eligible to upgrade, close to contract end, but the website then said I can't do it online, have to call customer services. No thanks!

Re. addict's post - I think Samsung and HTC would charge twice or more for a similar specced phone, but they also offer better support to compensate, IMHO and speaking to friends with HTCs/Samsungs.

PS - Just seen the Xolo site is back up.

Edited by geoff1951, 11 January 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Devices:nexus 7
Ah, all the networks are rubbish and only want to know when you are buying something.

Must be a very low tarriff if they want you to pay that much to upgrade, if not regardless of how easy it is to change I'd really advise you don't stick with it..

Blimey tell that to Galaxy Ace owners...

grizzlyflea

grizzlyflea

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
well. it appears as though luck was on my side :) popped into my local EE and brought the very last one.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
Now out of stock for contracts as well, if it disappears entirely off the site then that's it done and dusted. Anyone fancy a wake :(

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
As this is disappearing does anyone know if they are lining up another 'orange' to replace it with which may be better? Would be really annoyed if I bought this and something twice as powerful came out next month

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

As this is disappearing does anyone know if they are lining up another 'orange' to replace it with which may be better? Would be really annoyed if I bought this and something twice as powerful came out next month

Not at the £100 price point, hell not even at the £170 price point. It is extremely powerful at the price and there is absolutely nothing that comes close in that respect.

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
This is reassuring , think I will take the plunge and join the club come the weekend

ColdEmbrace

ColdEmbrace

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco
Have to say purchased this today to replace my san francisco. Surprised to find that it came with ICS as standard. Either that or GB with an ICS launcher didn't wait around to find out just let it update. At least this means even though out of stock online you might be able to find it in store.

Orange San Francisco TFT - GiffGaff - CM7

Posted Image

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Have to say purchased this today to replace my san francisco. Surprised to find that it came with ICS as standard. Either that or GB with an ICS launcher didn't wait around to find out just let it update. At least this means even though out of stock online you might be able to find it in store.

might be a stupid question but what is it updating to if it is already ICS isnt that the latest build?

utternoob

utternoob

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Laughing at chavs, Formula 1, Football and general technology
  • Devices:Skate, OSD, GT-P1010
  • Twitter:@terrymalyon2
It's patching the root exploit we use, and also adding signal boost

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

I may not know a lot, but there are others that do. If you have a problem, just ask

Sent with magic :)

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Ta!
Glad I asked will make sure I won't do that then as wanting to root for the micro SD card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users