51 replies to this topic

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & 7 running PAC

PS: is it wise to include lib files when making the link? Seems like default is to keep them in /data. Does this matter?

Ta

I normally move all the files, lib and davlik files. I think I had one app once that didn't like this but never had a problem overall. Some apps have lib files as big as the apk itself.

does this need to be reflashed with every ROM change ?

The partition will stay as ext4 through a rom flash unless the rom specifically changes it but the link2sd and modded install-recovery.sh will need installing.

In short, yes but it could be done manually if preferred.

Edited by Cyda, 13 November 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
Thanks for messaging me about this cyda. I've not tested yet as without a pc and concerned about restoring it! Is there a full way on the phone.

oldfella

oldfella

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

I normally move all the files, lib and davlik files. I think I had one app once that didn't like this but never had a problem overall. Some apps have lib files as big as the apk itself.

The partition will stay as ext4 through a rom flash unless the rom specifically changes it but the link2sd and modded install-recovery.sh will need installing.

many thanks - works beautifully

been waiting for an easy solution to running links2sd from the 2gig space

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,849 posts
  • Interests:ET Life
  • Devices:Nexus 4

i think clockworkmod formats the ext partition to ext3 when you do a full wipe, at least it did when i had the zte skate

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

i think clockworkmod formats the ext partition to ext3 when you do a full wipe, at least it did when i had the zte skate

I tried to format that partition via CWM, I though this might be an easy way to revert the mod but you just get an error.

As this partition is mounted in CWM as /datadata it doesn't get treated like am sdext2 on your sdcard does.

I've not tested yet as without a pc and concerned about restoring it! Is there a full way on the phone.

I'm just ironing out the kinks on the best way to do it. It can be done via a terminal emulator but it should be possible to do it via a script in script manager app.

I'll post an update once I work it all out.

Edited by Cyda, 13 November 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
New update posted above. The mod no longer needs a PC for removal and can now be removed via a CWM flashable zip.

terry.n

terry.n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Cyda - Really brilliiant mate - thank you!

Quick question to anyone - if an app is already on the external SD card, should I move it back to phone before using link2Sd?

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Devices:Nokia Lumia 720
yeah that's what I had to do. But you need enough room in the phone's memory first. So go through and link anything on phone first

EDIT:
opps, sorry read your post too fast. I did move all apps on my external card, to the phone, then linked them to the, "SD Card 2nd part" but not sure if makes a difference or not. Don't think it hurts anything

PS: you can do this all from Links2SD

Edited by Colossae3.23, 13 November 2012 - 01:39 PM.

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
The normal android move to sd should work fine side by side with this mod, there is even an option in Link2SD to do this so you should be able to choose if you want a file linked to the new sdext2 partition or moved to sd in the traditional sense. The benefit of using the Link2SD and sdext2 partition is that it doesn't get unmounted when you connect your USB and mount the sdcard so your apps are still accessible, where as with the normal move to sd your apps are not accessible whilst the sd card is mounted on your pc.

The only time I could see you needing to move apps around before installing this would be if you already had a 2nd partition setup on your sdcard and used it with Link2SD, as once this mod is installed it would take over and the apps on the 2nd partition would not be accessable unless you manually mounted it.

godsakes

godsakes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Devices:Vivacity, G300
Hi Cyda, I feel like giving the new CM9 a try and would like to make a backup your excellent stock+ rom, but when I backup in Clockwork, once it gets to /datadata (I assume that's the modified 2gb internal partition) it errors saying it "can't mount /datadata..."

Is there no way of backing up the lot? do I just have to remove this mod before trying CM9 and forget about the backup?

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
I would have thought it would back the partition up, unless the version of CWM expects that partition to be vfat. Best thing would be to just remove it before trying CM9, you can always backup Stock+ after the mod has been removed and then re-apply it if you ever go back to the rom.

godsakes

godsakes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Devices:Vivacity, G300
Thanks for the quick reply Cyda, think I've got a backup 2 days ago so that will do, after reading some of the wifi issues with CM9 I think I'll stick with yours until there's more updates from Daz

b4da55

b4da55

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
Thats where apps data is store and is due to a corrupt app .

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
@Cyda
yeah mine didn't backup /datadata either. I've flashed CM9 now, but if wifi freezes continue I may need to nandroid back. I didn't remove your mod before the flash. If I want to go back, I'm guessing I want to restore the backup that was prior to your mod, as the latest nandroid 1) didn't backup correctly, and 2) it has your mod on it. Is that correct? Is that clear :huh: ?

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

@Cyda
yeah mine didn't backup /datadata either. I've flashed CM9 now, but if wifi freezes continue I may need to nandroid back. I didn't remove your mod before the flash. If I want to go back, I'm guessing I want to restore the backup that was prior to your mod, as the latest nandroid 1) didn't backup correctly, and 2) it has your mod on it. Is that correct? Is that clear :huh: ?

Yeah, you'll want to flash the removal zip to remove the mod and then restore back to the nandroid backup up made before applying the mod.

As for CM9; I had one freeze the very first time I turn wifi on but since then it has been fine and switched on/off numerous times. The rom is running so well too, I'd certainly recommend trying it.

I am actually messing with this mod at the moment to see if I can get it to work with CM9. We don't need the partition formatting to ext4 because CM9 handles the storage correctly (are you taking notes Huawei!?!) so it should just be a case of creating a mount point for the partition to work with Link2SD. I wouldn't really use that partition for anything else so it would be nice to get it working with Link2SD.

Colossae3.23

Colossae3.23

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I am actually messing with this mod at the moment to see if I can get it to work with CM9. We don't need the partition formatting to ext4 because CM9 handles the storage correctly (are you taking notes Huawei!?!) so it should just be a case of creating a mount point for the partition to work with Link2SD. I wouldn't really use that partition for anything else so it would be nice to get it working with Link2SD.

I like the sound of that. /\
I agree CM9 is a sweet one, but I've had couple freezes since last night. Think I'll hang with it for a while to see if it straightens out. Should I have removed your mod, before flashing CM9, and if so, would help if I did it now?
Ta

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
Yeah, you certainly want to remove this mod before flashing CM9.

As for this mod working with CM9 I just got it working. It seems that CM doesn't call the install-recovery.sh that Link2SD normally used so you cannot set the mount that way, this explains why tcpaulh couldn't get this mod working on Shendu rom. I've just changed the mount script to an init.d script and ran it that way and works fine. I'll do a bit more testing and post some files later.

Edited by Cyda, 14 November 2012 - 10:22 AM.

oldfella

oldfella

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
oddity to report - after connecting to my PC via USB, on disconnecting I get a "blank SD card" warning.

it isnt, though one app had trouble finding it, root explorer is seeing it OK

rebooted and all fine

the download for the removal tool isnt working ?

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

oddity to report - after connecting to my PC via USB, on disconnecting I get a "blank SD card" warning.

rebooted and all fine

The link for the removal tool is working for me but here is a mirror: http://ubuntuone.com...wNjEJQ3fvoWIpvL

Sounds an odd one that. Might be worth trying my new mod instead, its a bit more compatible.

http://www.modaco.co...ompatible-1411/

terry.n

terry.n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

rebooted and all fine

I have the same thing - my guess is the OS is trying to re-mount both the 'internal' and external sd cards - but it can't remount the internal (probably because it was never dismounted, as we only see one drive on the PC now) and gives this stupid error cause it doesn't see the fs it expected.

Edited by terry.n, 14 November 2012 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users