What does everyone use as a dev PC?

Guest utternoob

Guest utternoob

Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a PC to use mostly for android development, but with a small windows partition for normal use. What would you recommend looking for and what would I get for around £300-400 at the max?

Found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008HAP9QU/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1352802095&sr=1-26 Is it any good?

Cheers

Terry

Edited by utternoob

Guest omegavesko

It will be more than enough. Android development really isn't all that resource intensive.

Just to clear things up though, do you mean app development or ROM development?

Guest hugobosslives

Does it need a graphics card or will it never be used for 3d modeling/games?

Can you build it yourself or do you need prebuilt?

If your building it yourself get a 3rd gen i5, 16gb ram, 1tb+ HDD and 500W power supply, cheap case etc

Or go for something prebuilt like the i5's down this half-built bundles here http://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/

Guest razzmataz1478

Hm, here's my specs:

i5-2320

8GB Ram

1.5TB Hard rive (no SSD :( )

2GB Graphics card

all for just under 300 quid prebuilt (refurb advent from the currys/pcworld ebay)

Guest razzmataz1478

Ah right. I may be waiting for a bit, but it doesn't really matter now, just keeping an eye out

You need to d/load the hukd app, set some alert keywords and see if anything comes up.

Guest razzmataz1478

Wow. I think quite a lot of people reccomend them

Edit: App is so unintuitive. Can't understand it much

Yeah I know, particularly the fact that they left the menu button out annoyed me. Have you set alerts?

Guest hugobosslives

the important thing to remember is that the pc doesn't need to be amazing to dev on.

unless you will be building alot (say 1+ a day) then its fine getting a mid spec pc.

when i used to make cm7 builds on the blade i would do it on my laptop (i5-2410m, 8gb ram) and it could build for 35 mins whilst I cooked my dinner :D