[ICS] [4.0.4] CyanogenMod 9.1 [ROM]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest tcpaulh

Devs are intelligent as a matter of course. It's radical but perhaps publishing an up to date buglist was already considered. Do you think a buglist suggestion is new or some kind of revelation? It's much easier for us as users to keep up to date with the thread than it is for the devs to do their magic in the first place.

Sometimes it sounds like "Oh no, I have to do my homework to decide which free stuff I want to leech, perhaps someone will do that for me as well".

In a fictitious example, lets suppose a dev drops a rom on the forum, it's a great rom but they give no support or updates. Does that negate what they've given us, for free?

Documentation is boring. I dont resent it not being kept up to date. Especially not when I can find that info out either by reading the thread or going on irc and actually putting some effort in myself. quid pro quo. Have you noticed how Daz only comes here occasionally. I wonder why...

Guest Malthus

Sometimes it sounds like "Oh no, I have to do my homework to decide which free stuff I want to leech, perhaps someone will do that for me as well".

That sounds like massive hyperbole, to be honest. Describing using a publicly released piece of open-source software (which in turn was built on someone's else's release of open-source software several times over) as "leeching free stuff" seems deliberately misrepresentative. It also seems pretty insulting to me towards developers and open-source software in general to imply that one should lower their expectations purely for that reason. Sure you have to be realistic about what's achievable, but the sentiment here seems more to me like people are saying "Hey, it's free, what do you expect? You should be grateful for whatever you get."

Finally, I don't think anyone was making some outrageous demand here either; I believe the general questioning was more along the lines of "why aren't these known issues included in the post of known issues?" Which seems like a perfectly acceptable and logical thing to ask without having a bunch of people jump down your throat for daring to say such a whining, ungrateful thing.

There's very little in the way of problems. If you've used any stock ICS rom, all the force-closes, interface lag and general shitness have been reduced by about 99%. In short it's great, cost me nothing, will be improved in the future (also for nothing) and I'm very grateful.

Guest brunolopes446

Shitty discussion on the last pages should be deleted.

Anyway, I came here to report that wifi freeze that more people are getting.. When turning on wifi, sometimes the phone freezes.

I'm waiting for a small patch to continue using this ROM.

Thank you!

Guest Huaweian

Here's what I did...

1) Sim unlocked my device so i can use a non voda sim

2) Updated to voda OTA update

3) follow the instructions in the sticky post "explain like you're 5"

4) when you get up to the point where you're read rto install a custom ics rom, then jump to the start of this thread..

5) Say thanks to Daz..

Hey I'm new to this post.

I just upgraded to the Vodafone ics ota and want to either switch to cm9 or revert to gingerbread. Which one would you recommend for?

Also If i am to Install cm9, instead of installing cwg300 as described in the posted link above should the custom cwm be installed instead in order to receive ota updates?

Thanks

Shitty discussion on the last pages should be deleted.

Anyway, I came here to report that wifi freeze that more people are getting.. When turning on wifi, sometimes the phone freezes.

I'm waiting for a small patch to continue using this ROM.

Thank you!

doh! irony alert. the shitty discussion was about how to tell you this. wait for next release kthx.

edit: ah lots of posts today. yes most could be deleted.

G300 (still no better phone for £100?), will try not to post again until i have this installed and something useful to add :).

@Daz maybe start new thread for R3, find someone to maintain known issues, and then they can moderate the s**t out of that thread.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest Nandosl59

I downloaded R2 via ota,it worked for me. Wifi, data,camera and sim contacts works. Only sometimes videos close. Blademaster you can install Weather Clock the normal way,it works.

A little info for the casual gamers; Tiger woods PGA 12 works well on this ROM. Just finished my first 18 holes 12 over... bit more practice needed. :blush:

Runs really well, commentary, sounds & gfx. I've been tempted to try this for a while but the extremely mixed reviews left me unsure if it would work. Glad I took a gamble on it.

post-923750-0-59375900-1353541796_thumb. post-923750-0-87657200-1353541800_thumb.

Guest tcpaulh

That sounds like massive hyperbole, to be honest.

Yes, it was. Hyberbole has it's place.

Describing using a publicly released piece of open-source software (which in turn was built on someone's else's release of open-source software several times over) as "leeching free stuff" seems deliberately misrepresentative.
Let's look at the context here:-

1. I said "sometimes"

2. I said "it sounds like"

3. Leeching in the limited context of 1&2 refers to certain people (ok let's face it, mostly yaqh) taking then being self-entitled idiots

It also seems pretty insulting to me towards developers and open-source software in general to imply that one should lower their expectations purely for that reason. Sure you have to be realistic about what's achievable, but the sentiment here seems more to me like people are saying "Hey, it's free, what do you expect? You should be grateful for whatever you get."
Yes! I have to say that I do believe we should have lower expectations/demands etc precisely because stuff is being freely given.

Finally, I don't think anyone was making some outrageous demand here either; I believe the general questioning was more along the lines of "why aren't these known issues included in the post of known issues?" Which seems like a perfectly acceptable and logical thing to ask without having a bunch of people jump down your throat for daring to say such a whining, ungrateful thing.

yaqh was being an ass. His posts stand as testament and have already been quoted.

Guest unaszplodrmann

That sounds like massive hyperbole, to be honest. Describing using a publicly released piece of open-source software (which in turn was built on someone's else's release of open-source software several times over) as "leeching free stuff" seems deliberately misrepresentative. It also seems pretty insulting to me towards developers and open-source software in general to imply that one should lower their expectations purely for that reason.

Why assume that open source software should be as polished and "user friendly'' as it's proprietory counterparts. Oftentimes a conscious effort is made to encourge user to be proactive about problem solving and generally increasing their aptitude. Likewise, the self-entitled who seek spoon feeding are quite often not given much thrift. Open source culture is obviously keen on empowerment, which set it apart from the cult of Apple etc.

Those who treat software they have receivde free-of-charge from amateur developers exactly as they would a retail package are plainly ignorant.

Guest GOlteanu

I think everyone should take a coffee break!!! stop arguing and test the ROM..

Issues I found:

1. Wifi freeze;

2. I got a couple restarts, but since sunday I haven't got any;

3. I don't know if any of you have this game (but I really love it), Rage of Bahamut. It force closes on any ROM's whenever I do quests or battle. In GB it didn't had this problems, and I've come to fiind that this is a problem with ICS. I've tried a couple of custom ROM's but the same problem, however with this one, it lagged a bit and didn't force close, I think it's because of hardware aceleration.

4. The all backup application from Huawei, when I try to install it, it fails. I will try to flash it this time, tonight, and see what I get.

5. The launcher sometimes force closes.

Appart from this, wonderfull ROM, love the speed it has, love the splash screen, and the notification bar. Great job dev.

Guest Colossae3.23

Wow. is this bitter argument still going on?

this one may end soon, but the same argument will continue to raise its head. I've been visiting Modaco for nearly 2 years and the same issue seems to boil to the surface every now and then; no matter who the dev is, or what the phone it is. In fact some devs have left the forum because of the incessant demands for people to fix the stuff that they've offer up for free.

It's been said before, but it seems it can't be said enough:

When some one gives you something, what right does any one have to demand, and/or expect it to be better, or fixed at your request?

If you paid, then fair enough, demand away.

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

• Launcher 7 - works ok, but while dragging the screen from application drawer to tile drawer and back, logcat says:

E/Adreno200-ES20( 508): : GL_INVALID_VALUED/OpenGLRenderer( 508): GL error from OpenGLRenderer: 0x501
    • On GTA3 does not force close, it fails to start internally
F/libc ( 4006): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x0000000c (code=1)I/ActivityManager( 250): Displayed com.rockstar.gta3ger/.GTA3: +1s989ms..

Edited by ScutulatusCrotalus

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

The latest GTA3 from the Play store is working fine here, at least for the 5-10 mins I played it.

post-923750-0-74979900-1353578738_thumb. post-923750-0-54987800-1353578748_thumb.

Hey, after you mentioned it, I received an update for GTA3 and it works. argh :-D

The flags

| __GFP_NOFAIL | __GFP_REPEAT

Exist for that purpose making it "not a hack" any more. No need for a loop

I have a nagging feeling that my advice on the no fail flag was wrong.

I think that flag should be for structures relating to the self management of the kernel and not mere operations if the kernel.

It may introduce worse harder to track bugs if/when it exhausts kernel emergency memory so that other no fail might fail...

Repeat should be enough

Guest Dazzozo

I have a nagging feeling that my advice on the no fail flag was wrong.

I think that flag should be for structures relating to the self management of the kernel and not mere operations if the kernel.

It may introduce worse harder to track bugs if/when it exhausts kernel emergency memory so that other no fail might fail...

Repeat should be enough

I'll drop it down to repeat in a bit and see if it's still enough.