[TIP] Australian 3G Dropouts - Oh the Humanity!

Guest bogomips

Guest bogomips

I believe I've figured out a way to eliminate those annoying 3G dropouts that seem to be caused by upgrading the baseband on Vodafone AU phones (U8815-51) from 109808 to 2030. It involves some IMEI zeroing, in order to set your preferred frequency to BC10_800Mhz_Sec in DFS - but more on that later. This guide assumes you are using Vodafone in Australia - if you are on Optus AU [incl. Amaysim, TPG or another reseller] it may not work for you, as Optus AU uses 900Mhz instead of the 850Mhz I've tested this with on the Vodafone AU network.

[WARNING: As you probably figured already, you follow this procedure entirely at your own risk. I don't guarantee it will work for anyone. BE VERY AFRAID :D]

What you will need

• A Micro SD card: the bigger the better (I used a 16Gb one)
  • A Vodafone Sim: Preferably with some data credit linked to it (I found the $9.95 Prepaid SIM to be worth $0.01 in practice - Coles is offering a $30 Prepaid Cap for $15 till the 20th of November, so it's a fairly cheap way to test if this works if you don't have a Vodafone Prepaid Account with 500mb+ data on it)
  • An unlocked U8815-51 (Huawei G300): You may be able to do this with a locked handset - I just haven't tried.
  • A demo version of DFS (v4.0.1.1 worked well for me): Visit cdmatool.com for the download.
  • A backed up copy of your IMEI created using 5irom

1. Where we began

So here's the situation with a Vodafone AU U8815-51 (aka Ascend G300).
    The firmware I got on my 8815 when purchased was : U8815-51V100R001C346B893
    This is a Vodafone AU customized version of Gingerbread 2.3.6 as Colin 2905 kindly mentions on Whirlpool:
    If you're not sure what version of the U8815 you have, take the back cover off the phone, remove the battery, and look for the model number. If you only see "U8815" and not "U8815-51" then you DON'T have the U8815-51 and this guide probably doesn't apply to you. (well, you may still find the frequency stuff useful)

Model number: U8815
    Android version: 2.3.6
    Baseband version: 109808
    Kernel version: 2.6.38.6-perf
    android@localhost #1
    Build number: U8815-51V100R001C346B893

2. What the bleep went wrong?

After I bought my U8815-51 from Voda AU, I got it unlocked by some nice Armenian dude on ebay. I had no credit on my SIM to test 3G with at the time, and my Vodafone SIM was an old one so I had no idea if it was 3G friendly or not. I ended up following the wonderful tutorial at huaweig300.com, from Page 1 to Page 6. Problem was, when I ended up with B936, I noticed I could only register on the Vodafone AU 3G network before an error would appear in the status bar up the top, which, when swiped down, said something about the connection dropping out. So be careful if you're following that for the first time - it's a great guide, but should probably have some kind of warning regarding the 850Mhz frequency for Australian Vodafone users.

As a sidenote, I tried a number of other things to get the 3G working on the version of ICS B936 on Page 5 of the guide at huaweig300.com, but none seemed to work. I was a sad panda. I even asked pestered Dazzozo and hecatae about this on the IRC chan, and hecatae suggested I try frequency locking the handset to 850Mhz or 900Mhz, because Voda UK's version of ICS B936 was suited towards 900Mhz. (or something like that).

3. You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man!

I had read on MoDaCo that other people had some success with 3G in Australia by downgrading from ICS to Gingerbread, so naturally that was the obvious next step. So I downgraded from ICS B936 to V100R001C02B885 (UK Vodafone). (You can download this from madmodder.co.uk - but don't! I'll explain why in a tick) The UK version of 2.3.6 (B885) was good, but I still couldn't figure out how to get 3G working. I tried a number of things, all of which proved to be fruitless at the time. Packet sniffing the update service at query.hicloud.com (Huawei's Cloud Hosting platform for updates) and sending modified HTTP POST queries using their XML format was like hitting my head against a brick wall. I tried contacting Vodafone AU to see if they could send me a copy of the original Gingerbread firmware, but that fell on deaf ears. (I believe someone else on this forum has a copy if anyone is interested, but I'm not sure if it's in CWM format or UPDATE.APP format).

4. Going Cuckoo (or C00-C00)

Did I say this was a guide? I lied. The guide part is below - I promise!

Believing that Gingerbread V100R001C02B885 was a boulevard of broken dreams, I decided to shift gears and give the C00 series of roms a try. The description given to them by Huawei is "Generic" or "International" which didn't exactly fill me with confidence. But I had my first success on C00B884, so it holds a soft spot in my heart. :) Here's what I did.

Flashing 2.3.6 Generic Version:
    1. Downloaded V100R001C00B884 from MadModder.co.uk. (Ascend G300(U8815,Android 2.3.6) V100R001C00B884.rar - about 191Mb)

2. Extracted the rom in step 1 and copied the UPDATE.APP from "Step 1 dload" folder to the "dload" folder on my MicroSD card. (did this via USB cable)

3. Made sure the SDcard was mounted in the Android Settings > Storage area, then went to do an SDcard upgrade/update. (sometimes this didn't let me install the update, and other times it did - tell me if you have issues).

4. Waited for the update to install. (The pink bar took it's sweet time!). If I got the update failed message, I would use the middle UPDATE.APP, then try the main UPDATE.APP again. (it's a good idea to keep a copy of the middle update under your SDcards dload-middle/ folder for emergencies)

5. Once it finished installing, I think it had to reboot once or twice, then I got the classic android logo at boot time, and it eventually got into the OS setup screen (I just pressed Next next next until it let me use Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread.
    6. Using file manager, rename the dload foldero on your SDcard to dload-b884.
    7. Create a new folder called dload on your sdcard, and connect your g300 to the computer via USB (switch on storage mode).
    8. Copy the UPDATE.APP file from the C00B884 "Step 2 vendor" folder into the empty "dload" folder on the SDcard.

9. C00B884 is a bit laggy at times, and didn't seem to recognize my simcard for some reason - even though it seemed to work with 2G no problem.

Backing up your IMEI using Toolbox 5irom

1. You should have done this before starting, but if you haven't, install 5irom (there's an APK ToolBox5iromV1.0.4.2.apk) floating around on huaweig300.com from memory that will install without any issues.

2. I don't recall if you need to have Rooted Gingerbread or not before you can backup/restore your IMEI. (follow the rooting procedure if you haven't)

3. Run 5irom, backup your IMEI to SDcard, and then plugin your G300 to the computer using USB cable, and switch on storage mode.

4. COPY the 5irom folder to your PC in a safe place !

What's next? Zeroing the IMEI and setting the Band Preference.

Read this section before performing the steps!

1. With a Vodafone SIM in your G300, try registering on the Vodafone AU 3G network. (I used a SIM that had credit on it for this!). After flashing back to Gingerbread from ICS, most people still seem to have 3G dropouts. It's worth checking to see if you do. (I did too, so read on)
    2. Download the 5irom backup which contains a zeroed out IMEI in it. You can grab it from the Bronasium here.
    3. The next few steps are a carbon copy of "How to Free SIM unlock your G300", (great guide margityu!) but I'm going to include the steps here for completeness.
    4. Copy the 5irom folder from "g300-downgrade.zip" onto your SDcard.
    5. Run 5iromtoolbox, and select restore imei. (if it can't find the 5irom backup folder on your SDcard, check to see if your SDcard is mounted in Settings > Storage, and also check to see what the default install location is. Sometimes if the SDcard is mounted to a weird path (like /mnt/sdcard2) 5iromtoolbox cannot see it. In cases like those, I copy the 5irom folder to my internal memory and it seems to work okay. YMMV.
    6. 5irom toolbox will ask for root permissions, so grant them, or if you aren't rooted, reroot gingerbread.
    7. Power down your G300, remove the battery, put the battery back in, and power on. I forget exactly what happens here, but I believe the phone will reboot after the Huawei logo. (only once before going back into Android)
    8. Once back in android, dial *#06# to see what your IMEI is. It'll probably appear to be the same as it was before - mine LOOKED like it didn't change. But it had. Here's how I know:
    9. Dial *#*#4636#*#*
    10. You'll see the Testing Menu. Choose "Phone Information"
    11. Scroll down until you see the "Turn off radio" button. Press it, and hopefully your radio will turn off. (that includes wifi, gps and gsm/wcdma i believe).
    12. Unplug your g300 from the computer. (this may not be required, not 100% sure)
    13. Dial *#*#2846579#*#*
    14. Another Testing menu with MMITest_II and ProjectMenu appears.
    15. Select ProjectMenu
    16. Select 1.Background Setting
    17. Select 4. Usb ports setting
    18. Select Manufacture mode
    19. It may say something about rebooting - so power down, remove the battery, reinsert the battery, and power on the g300.
    20. Get back into the Background Settings menu by following steps 13-16 again.
    21. Try opening the maintenance/service mode on the phone by selecting 1. Qualcomm background open setting and selecting "background open", then select Confirm.
    22. If it asks for a password, try 0 (zero) and press okay. That only works sometimes, so here's what you can try if it doesnt.
    23. If background open does not succeed, Try pressing 3. OTP NV filter switch (which toggles the nv filter switch between open and closed) and then try 21-22 again. If that fails (or succeeds!) try the following:
    24. Download DFS 4.x (link at top) and install it. Run DFS, wait for the nag screen to disappear, then plug the usb cable from the g300 into the PC, and wait for any drivers to download and install (I'm on windows 7 - on other platforms you may have to manually install the drivers).
    25. Once you are in DFS, click Ports, and if you have done the right thing,you should see one port described as DBadapter. Double click on it, then down the bottom of the window your phone's details should appear. double click that, and you'll be returned to the DFS main screen.
    26. Make sure the log window is visible - in v4.x of DFS a log button is in the top right. If DFS has recognized your phone, yellow text will appear on the Equipment tab with all the fields filled out.
    27. If not, make sure the DBadapter Reserved interface port is selected up the top, and click the connection icon/button to the left.
    28. When the connection icon is green it should be connected.
    29. Once connected, go to the Programming tab. Make sure the "Write changes" button is pushed in and UseNam1 is selected.
    30. Click on the NAM tab, and click on "read" underneath the green column for network identification.
    31. In the detail box, NAM lock is filled in. Before we can change this, we need to unlock the phone, so put 000000 (six zeroes) in the SPC field in the top left, and click he SPC button. You should see DEVICE UNLOCKED in the log view.
    32. Once the device is unlocked, you can uncheck "NAM Lock" and click Write. That setting will be saved to the phone.
    33. Now take a look at Preferred Setting on the right of the NAM tab.
    34. Heres what I set mine to:
      Sys pref: <nothing selected>
      Pref mode: GSM_WCDMA
      Pref srv: <nothing selected>
      Band Pref: BC10_800Mhz_Sec
      Roam Pref: Automatic
      NOTE: If you are using a 900Mhz UMTS network you will need to change your Band Pref to suit the network you are using. I haven't tested this for Optus 3G networks though.
    35. Click the red Write button in the middle of the NAM tab, then wait for the progress bar to finish.
    36. Disconnect from the DBadapter REserved Interface port by clicking the green connection plug icon/button.

Restoring your original IMEI

Now that we've specified a Band Preference (of 850Mhz for Vodafone users) we have to restore the original IMEI using 5irom toolkit.

[*]Rename your 5irom folder containing the zeroed imei to 5irom-zero using the file manager.

[*]Follow steps 13-17 under "What's next?" above, and you'll be back in the maintenance menu under the USB setting section.

[*]Select "Google mode" from the options, and then press the back button until you're completely out of the maintenance menu.

[*]Connect your g300 to your PC, and copy across the backup of your original IMEI (it'll be in a 5irom folder - make sure you copy the right one - not the zeroed out IMEI version!)

[*]Run 5irom toolkit and select Restore IMEI. Once complete, power down your phone, pull out the battery, put it back in, and power up again.

[*]Once booted, check your IMEI by dialing *#06#

The acid test

1. First try setting your Mobile Networks preferences to "Use 2G Networks only".

2. Make sure Data is enabled too, as we will be testing EDGE over 2G first.

3. Select the Vodafone AU 2G network, and if all goes well it should say "Registered on network"

4. Go back out to the main desktop in Android and run the web browser software. Try visiting www.google.com. If it is working, you'll see the "E" above the signal strength meter and google should load in slowly! (hey, it's EDGE, whaddya expect?)

If that doesn't work, it means something else is amiss. I noticed that the first tiem this worked for me, I had just run the UPDATE.APP for C00B934, and it said : Update Failed. (because I hadn't used the middle update). I pulled out the battery and put it back in, and when I got into Gingerbread (C00B884) - the Edge connection and 3G was working. See if it works for you.

The "even more horrendously acidic" test

1. If the acid test worked, try unticking "Use 2G Networks only" and select the Vodafone AU 3G network".

2. If all goes well, it should say registered on Network. If you have data enabled, it may have the "H" (HSPDA) symbol above the signal strength meter.

3. Try visiting google.com in your android web browser. See how you go.

If that doesn't work, then it's possible there is something else going on with your phone I'm not aware of that affects the 3g connection.

Hey, I tried. :)

5. "It worked, but Gingerbread is so yesterday..."

If you've got it working on Gingerbread, then it should work on the C00B934 build of ICS too. (worked for me, and that build of ICS runs a bit smoother than the C00B884 build of Gingerbread mentioned in this guide). The only problem is, the download connection for C00B934 often drops out with Huawei's website, so you may have to wait a few hours for it to work. (I tried three times before it downloaded the 350+Mb file - sheesh!)

As you probably already know, before you update to C00B934, you'll need to run the middle update again, and then run the C00B934 update. I had no issues getting the C00B934 update installed once I had done a middle update.

Once you have updated to ICS C00B934, try the steps under "4. Going Cuckoo" from "What's next? Zeroing the IMEI and setting the Band Preference." onwards. (obviously all references to Gingerbread should be changed to ICS and references to C00B884 should be changed to C00B934.

6. Report your findings and if something doesn't work, tell us!

Hopefully this guide will come in handy to other people experiencing 3G dropouts.

I will update it in response to feedback and hopefully we can make this guide a bit more specific/bulletproof.

Cheers,

bogo.

Edited by bogomips

Hi Thanks for that information, I have a G300 stock with B893 on it atm running on Amaysim (Optus), I want to upgrade to ICS and then Dazzozo's CM9. I will give the middle package a go, as the straight B936 failed as you mention.

What exactly do you mean by 3G drop outs?

I have noticed that my phone often drops back to "emergency calls only" for a few seconds accasionally, when i would not really expect it to. But have never experienced any HSPA issues while using the data on the standard B893 rom.

I will let people know how this goes, may not get to it till the weekend thou.

Guest bogomips

That is a very long tip. But I guess it'll come in handy to many Ozzie's

In retrospect I probably should've called it a GUIDE. But GUIDE suggests I have substantial knowledge and experience in this field, which I don't. And I can't seem to edit the thread title. >.<

Hi Thanks for that information, I have a G300 stock with B893 on it atm running on Amaysim (Optus), I want to upgrade to ICS and then Dazzozo's CM9. I will give the middle package a go, as the straight B936 failed as you mention.

Did B893 work with Amaysim/Optus out of the box? (ie. just by unlocking the handset?) Is it a Vodafone Prepaid G300 handset you are using? I didn't realize the U8815-51 would work on 900Mhz (Optus). Cool.

What exactly do you mean by 3G drop outs?

Sorry I should've been more specific. The symptoms I experienced on B936 were:

- Unable to connect to 3G at all. (well, I could for a few seconds, then I'd see the error icon appear up the top and it would say "Vodafone AU 3G connection lost" (or something like that))

So it was like it would connect for a moment, then drop the connection. I had the correct/same APN settings as I'm using now, so that obviously wasn't causing the disconnects. I believe it was because the UK roms are configured for a particular frequency, but I could be wrong. That may explain why you can get a 3G connection on B936 - because Vodafone UK uses 900Mhz from memory.

I have noticed that my phone often drops back to "emergency calls only" for a few seconds accasionally, when i would not really expect it to. But have never experienced any HSPA issues while using the data on the standard B893 rom.

I didn't use the standard C346B893 rom for very long - I really should've done more testing before rooting and updating to B936. It may be possible to frequency lock your phone though if that's the issue. Otherwise it could be signal strength related (but I'm sure you've already looked at that)

I will let people know how this goes, may not get to it till the weekend thou.

No worries, thanks for the info - handy to compare notes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have performed the B936 upgrade, and I too have not been able to connect to 3g networks anymore. It worked fine on Amaysim/Optus on the original B893 rom.

I have been stuck on 2G only, and it is kinda slow, with 96-224kbit/sec throughput.

I did follow the guide and installed CWM and root access after upgrade. I have also installed the B944 update to the ics upgrade which is from cyda and gets rid of the vodafone splash screen, replaces it with a nice android one, but the dictionary is still broken, so I installed TouchPal v5 from google play. But still get words underlined in red.

I tried your technique without downgrading to B884 but can't get the password to work on enabling the qualcomm backgroud access. The password for the 936 version must not be '0' zero.

So looks like I will have to install B884 and see if I can get access to DFS to select the preferred frequency, Which for Optus i think is 1900, or 1800 need to check. They only have 1 channel on 900Mhz and many on the higher one. So preferring the high frequency would be the best I believe.

Will try this some time soon. It is driving me a bit crazy at 2G speeds.

Guest bogomips

Hey Muniix,

Thanks for sharing your experiences - the only way I could access the qualcomm background settings area was to zero the imei using the 5irom method with the zeroed out imei file. When I had done this correctly, my IMEI changed from the original number to something else. (once I had got into the qualcomm background area and used DFS or QPST to change band preferences I just restored my original IMEI).

One of the issues I encountered was the band preferences resetting after a few reboots. I think this went away when I ticked "NAM Lock" after changing the band preferences. (no idea what NAM Lock is - network authentication module perhaps?). Another thing I tried after changing band prefs in DFS or QPST was to make sure I had CLOSED the qualcomm background setting. Not sure if this had an effect either - a lot of the steps are done a bit blind.

Took me 3 weeks to figure out a working process for Voda AU - hopefully it will work for Optus too.

Please tell me if you run into any other issues - thanks.

Edited by bogomips

Thanks bogomips

I followed your guide and got the H symbol straight away on reboot (Vodafone AUS). One day of use and no 3G dropouts. I didn't downgrade to GB I used C00B934 from the Huawei site. Also ticked NAM lock and closed the qualcomm background setting. I had trouble getting DFS to work (doesn't on Windows 8) but after switching to XP everything went exactly as per the guide. Hopefully someone will post the Vodafone AUS ICS update when it is released. Great work!

Guest bogomips

I followed your guide and got the H symbol straight away on reboot (Vodafone AUS). One day of use and no 3G dropouts. I didn't downgrade to GB I used C00B934 from the Huawei site. Also ticked NAM lock and closed the qualcomm background setting. I had trouble getting DFS to work (doesn't on Windows 8) but after switching to XP everything went exactly as per the guide. Hopefully someone will post the Vodafone AUS ICS update when it is released. Great work!

Glad to hear it worked for you sd26, thanks for sharing.

Yeah the GB downgrade was a bit of a waste of time for me - smart move skipping that part. ;)

That's a pain with DFS on Win8 - probably just a driver issue they need to address.

Yeah would be nice to have copies of the Voda AU ICS and GB firmware just for safekeeping. Because OTA updates just ain't gonna happen with any of these firmwares. >.<

Cheers - now if we can just get muniix's phone working on Optus/Amaysim, I'll be happy. :D

[no pressure muniix!]

Guest Hogweed

I wonder if there is another setting that can be changed here to enable HSUPA (High Speed 3g uplink) in all ROMs. Currently only enabled in B926 as far as I know.

Guest bogomips

I wonder if there is another setting that can be changed here to enable HSUPA (High Speed 3g uplink) in all ROMs. Currently only enabled in B926 as far as I know.

Interesting idea Hogweed,

The MSM7227A supports HSUPA but I have no idea if support for HSUPA is network dependent, or if there's an option to toggle it in QPST or DFS. It might be labelled E-DCH or RRC if it is in there.

From the HSPA page on wiki:

"Enhanced Uplink adds a new transport channel to WCDMA, called the Enhanced Dedicated Channel (E-DCH)"

The plot thickens... :)

Guest Hogweed

Certainly it seems that everyone who has reported back with B926 baseband has found their upload speed jump from hundreds of k per sec to multi-megabits per second regardless of network operator. I guess operators really have to support HSUPA for 3g data dongles and high end phones. Officially the G300 does not support HSUPA but only HSDPA (high speed download) so it came as a surprise to see this mode enabled in the 2030 baseband that came with the Chinese B926. Would definitely be nice if a way could be found to toggle this feature back on in any other ROM/baseband.

Ok, Thanks for the information, I will zero the IMIE and follow your method without the downgrade to GB. Thanks for that info, was partly why I didn't want to do it.

Have checked the vodafone software update site and seems that Voda AU have finnished up all their testing, and awaiting for huawei to push the OTA out as of a few days

ago now. So Maybe this week all Oz G300 users will be able to get the ICS update, just wonder what release it may be. Irrelevant to us now thou.

Also on the vodafone site was a list of new base stations and there frequencies, many were 2100 and some 850, Woolongong has both. However I'm on Optus/Amaysim so will do my research again to identify which frequency I need to prefer, I think its 1900 primary, and 900 in regional areas. I still got offered the B900 update for the Crazy John's APN while running on amaysim it just appeared in my notifications bar. I installed on my first G300, but was stolen, and didn't bother on its replacement.

Would be interresting to try the B926 for the upload speed increase here. I wonder what the baseband is? Is it still reported as 2030. And does/will the Oz ICS ota update update the baseband to 2030?

Will report back. I may need to get in contact if I have problems I will post here, maybe we can swap emails addresses.

Guest bogomips

Certainly it seems that everyone who has reported back with B926 baseband has found their upload speed jump from hundreds of k per sec to multi-megabits per second regardless of network operator. I guess operators really have to support HSUPA for 3g data dongles and high end phones. Officially the G300 does not support HSUPA but only HSDPA (high speed download) so it came as a surprise to see this mode enabled in the 2030 baseband that came with the Chinese B926. Would definitely be nice if a way could be found to toggle this feature back on in any other ROM/baseband.

Interesting points there Hogweed - I took a look in QPST (v2.7) again and couldn't find anything that stood out to me. Discussion about enabling HSUPA on the blade mentioned something about the setting being stored in NVRAM, so perhaps 926 changes something there we're not aware of. Or it could be RIL-related - has anyone tried using b926 RIL? (or do they only work with the firmware build they were released for?) My n00bness is showing. :D

Have checked the vodafone software update site and seems that Voda AU have finnished up all their testing, and awaiting for huawei to push the OTA out as of a few days ago now. So Maybe this week all Oz G300 users will be able to get the ICS update, just wonder what release it may be. Irrelevant to us now thou.

Yeah I gave up on waiting for Vodafone AU. Would be nice to have a copy of their firmware though.

Also on the vodafone site was a list of new base stations and there frequencies, many were 2100 and some 850, Woolongong has both. However I'm on Optus/Amaysim so will do my research again to identify which frequency I need to prefer, I think its 1900 primary, and 900 in regional areas.

I believe you can tick multiple bands if you are using QPST - in DFS there were a few 1900 bands, one of those might work. The wiki page says Optus uses Band VIII (W-CDMA 900) for regional areas and Band I (W-CDMA 2100) in Australia for metropolitan. The amaysim website seems to imply Wollongong uses W-CDMA2100 - http://www.amaysim.com.au/why-amaysim/coverage and optus.com.au/network/mobile/coverage/ - it mentions 1800Mhz for 4G, but 2100Mhz/900Mhz for 3G.

I still got offered the B900 update for the Crazy John's APN while running on amaysim it just appeared in my notifications bar. I installed on my first G300, but was stolen, and didn't bother on its replacement.

Yeah I never updated to that build of the official Voda AU firmware. Seemed kind of pointless at the time unless you were using Crazy Johns.

Would be interresting to try the B926 for the upload speed increase here. I wonder what the baseband is? Is it still reported as 2030. And does/will the Oz ICS ota update update the baseband to 2030?

I don't see why the Oz ICS ota update wouldn't include a baseband update to 2030. ICS and 2030 seem to go hand in hand.

Will report back. I may need to get in contact if I have problems I will post here, maybe we can swap emails addresses.

No worries thanks. I'll PM you my email.

Followed the guide, up to the restoring the IMEI from the downgrade zip and after reboot phone goes into CWM recovery, and won't boot

into android.

Don't know what to do now, May have to install B936 again, hopeing it hasn't installed bogus IMEI stuff. I used the same 5irom.apk I used to backup the imei when I was running GB don't know if that is an issue or not, shouldn't be.

Hope I haven't bricked my G300.

Guest lethal11

I've ran into somewhat of a problem

my device is running the same build number

U8815-51V100R001C346B893

I tried to unlock the bootloader with the unlockbootloader.exe and then i resetted my device and now im stuck on the huawei logo boot loop

Im aware of the middle package and force up option. keep in mind i cannot enter recovery or bootloader mode since it restarts every 1 seconds.

I tried every possible firmware package from B895, B884, B885 , B894, B888, B886 and non seem to work all seem to be giving me the failed update on step 2.

I'm on the assumption i need the B893 firmware to fix this problem. Though i cant find it anywhere. Any help is seriously appreciated

Followed the guide, up to the restoring the IMEI from the downgrade zip and after reboot phone goes into CWM recovery, and won't boot

into android.

Don't know what to do now, May have to install B936 again, hopeing it hasn't installed bogus IMEI stuff. I used the same 5irom.apk I used to backup the imei when I was running GB don't know if that is an issue or not, shouldn't be.

Hope I haven't bricked my G300.

Try wiping the cache from CWM recovery. I remember getting stuck on the boot logo following bogomips guide and my phone booted. Good Luck.

Guest Hogweed

U8815-51V100R001C346B893

I tried to unlock the bootloader with the unlockbootloader.exe and then i resetted my device and now im stuck on the huawei logo boot loop

Im aware of the middle package and force up option. keep in mind i cannot enter recovery or bootloader mode since it restarts every 1 seconds.

I tried every possible firmware package from B895, B884, B885 , B894, B888, B886 and non seem to work all seem to be giving me the failed update on step 2.

I'm on the assumption i need the B893 firmware to fix this problem. Though i cant find it anywhere. Any help is seriously appreciated

YOU MUST NOT RUN UNLOCKBOOTLOADER.EXE ON A GINGERBREAD ROM. That tool is for ICS ROMS only. B893 is a GingerBread ROM.

The bootloader is different and is also not locked on GB. Several people seem to have bricked their phones by doing this from previous reports.

Guest bogomips

U8815-51V100R001C346B893

I also encountered the 1 second "boot loop of death" and can't remember exactly how i got out of it. :/

My first question to you would be: what were you trying to do when you first noticed it? When it happened to me I was trying to update from GB to ICS.

If you were trying to accomplish the same thing, you might want to try one of the B9xx update.apps - like C00B934. I know it's a bit of a risk, since you may not have updated your baseband from 109808 to 2030, but it's worth a try IF you can get the update.app to install.

Here's what I tried for the bootloop: http://www.modaco.com/topic/358624-help-phone-stuck-in-a-bootloop/

Some people suggested holding VOL- and Power instead of VOL+ and Power but that didn't work for me.

I had to hold down VOL-, VOL+ and Power at the same time, and then it seemed to pickup the update.app on my SDCARD to install.

This page seems to cover the topic, but suggests using a C02B9xx firmware - I doubt there's much difference between C00B9xx and the C00B934 tho.

*Fingers crossed*,

bogo.

Phone booted after doing a factory reset, now trying to find a preferred frequency that works for Optus 3G using DFS. Only seems to find networks when preffered is set to Automatic. Might have to try using QPST is there any doco on using it anywhere?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bogomips

Thanks for reporting your findings Faelon and ryuhou69 - are you using both DFS or QPST to configure the preferred network bands?

The reason I ask is, there was a checkbox in QPST I noticed which said IMT2100 :

NiOom.jpg

Thanks for reporting your findings Faelon and ryuhou69 - are you using both DFS or QPST to configure the preferred network bands?

The reason I ask is, there was a checkbox in QPST I noticed which said IMT2100 :

I haven't tried QPST yet.

Hi, I think I may try getting my G300 working on 3G tonight. I have yet to use QPST. The need to do a factory reset after each IMEI load made it annoying. I have upgraded my CWM and made a backup. Hopefully a restore from backup will rectify this.