146 replies to this topic

MrPuddington

MrPuddington

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Devices:Android

It's a mini-update :D perhaps they only fix dictionary. Thanks thebuell :)

60 MB to fix the dictionary? Well, given the display of incompetence we have seen so far, that is an unfortunate possibility.

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Devices:Y300, Nexus 7
It's not just the dictionary fix there are also updates for other stuff wanted to know what these are.

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
Just ran onto a problem applying the update, seems it fails to update if I have CWM 6 installed, what do I do?

qayl

qayl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Flash stock recovery, it was posted somewhere, cant find it now...so I uploaded it: http://www.solidfile...m/d/6966a11633/

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks for that, how do I put back CWM afterwards?

qayl

qayl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Same way as you will install this, or as you istalled CWM first time. I use fastboot method, or there are automated .bat files for that, you just swap .img files.

Edited by qayl, 28 November 2012 - 09:35 AM.

Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Looks to be a fairly substantial amount of stuff in that zip so it could have a few fixes in there

dejan.m

dejan.m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
How to apply this update?

Akathecat

Akathecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Just ran onto a problem applying the update, seems it fails to update if I have CWM 6 installed, what do I do?

Hi Thebuell if you get this running can you give us an update on what it does actually fix? I am most interested in the ringtone / call volumes at the moment as they are woeful and one of the main reasons I went to a custom rom. Could you also check memory usage as that is another big issue. Thanks in advance

yaqh

yaqh

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Devices:huawei

Hi Thebuell if you get this running can you give us an update on what it does actually fix? I am most interested in the ringtone / call volumes at the moment as they are woeful and one of the main reasons I went to a custom rom. Could you also check memory usage as that is another big issue. Thanks in advance

yes please report your findings.

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
I've figured how to switch between stock-recovery and CWM, using fastboot, so that's OK. Unfortunately I couldn't apply UPDATE.ZIP as I'd hacked the system apps by replacing them with updated versions, so it wouldn't apply the patches.

OK. I guess I'll just repack the UPDATE.ZIP to remove those that I've modded. Might work? :-)

Aradalienz

Aradalienz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Devices:Huawei 8815 G300
Well they fixed the ussd vulnerability lol

b4da55

b4da55

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
The only other way is flash stock ics. Than downgrade official way then ota update.

Pain in the ass.

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

The only other way is flash stock ics. Than downgrade official way then ota update.

Pain in the ass.

Yeah it is. I've had a peek inside the UPDATE.ZIP, and it seems there's a whole bunch of *.so library files, wonder what they're for?

Edited by thebuell, 28 November 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Dazzozo

Dazzozo

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts
  • Devices:Crescent, G300, Y300, Nexus 5
  • Twitter:@Dazzozo
It's not a small update at all. The contents of the system directory are new files, added in this release (so logically there shouldn't be many). The patch folder is also very important as that contains files that have been modified from previous releases, which contains quite a lot (this is also why you can only upgrade from a certain version, it actually patches the changes in to the files on your device).

.so = shared library/object. For most purposes you can treat them as DLLs for Linux though they're a little different.

Like my work? Give me rep!

Like my work a lot? Donate! Remember to leave your forum name if you want to be credited!

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
If I knew how to repack the UPDATE.ZIP, I could remove some of those apps that are being patched as I've already updated them, and gain the benefit of the rest of the updates.

Magnets

Magnets

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Yeah it is. I've had a peek inside the UPDATE.ZIP, and it seems there's a whole bunch of *.so library files, wonder what they're for?

Some of them are for the swype feature of touchpal.

Geoff2

Geoff2

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade; Huawei Asend G300
While we're waiting for someone to do a full changelog, here is a nugget of information from the 'Update details' given with the OTA update:

'Version updates:
Google applications have been upgraded to version R7
Google new patches have been applied.'

I'm not going to bother installing yet as last time I did an OTA update, I forgot that it wiped your memory card so I lost all my Titanium Backup files and spent the next month swearing a lot at Angry Birds... I'll wait until I've got time to spare to make all the necessary backups etc.

yaqh

yaqh

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Devices:huawei
I'm not going to hold my breath but we will see what the change log brings to the table.

Akathecat

Akathecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Same way as you will install this, or as you istalled CWM first time. I use fastboot method, or there are automated .bat files for that, you just swap .img files.

Please pardon my ignorance I am new to all this, I have downloaded the SDK and found the executable fastboot is that all that I need or am I missing something on the Devleoper kit which doesn't appear to have an executable or msi package just something called Eclipse am I near or am I a million miles away from where I need to be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users