Random umounts

Guest thebuell

Guest Hogweed

Have never had a single random unmount myself, I use known good Class 10 (actually benchmarks as Class 15 if such a thing existed) card. Most people I've previously seen with random unmounts have been using Class 4 cards I wouldn't even think of putting anything less than a Class 10 microSD in the phone but apparently people do. I've also noticed a lot of fake known brand-name cards which are marked as say "Samsung Class 10" but are anything but.

However if your card is Class 10 and benchmarks fine then that's not likely your problem. If it is Class 4 then try a Class 10 card.

Guest Hogweed

What Class are they though? Phones should be fine with a Class 10 but the G300 may have problems with slower cards but not with Class 10s or perhaps Class 6. That's all I'm wondering. I do a lot of I/O to my Class 10 SD card and have never seen any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The Class 10 in my phone right now benchmarks four times as fast as some Class 4 cards - that's a huge difference and could easily be enough to trigger some latent timing bug in the code.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Davidoff59

Nit sure what class they are. Had a 2gb sandisk which started unmounting one day so bought transcend 4gb, think its a class 4 and it still does it. I'm thinking its a poor connection at the SD card slot or poor soldering on the phone itself . Maybe a few dodgy ones got out. Had no SD issues with the first SD card on my first g300

Guest bladebuddy

Hogweed you're chatting s--t, the class of you're sd card is based purely on write speeds. E.G a photographer using boost mode and taking multiple shots , needs a card that writes quickly. A class 10 is know better then any other sd card when it comes to every day usage. It only writes quicker then other lower class sd cards. Or should I say is able to receive information quicker then a lower class sd cards

Has f--k all to do with mounting problems.

Edited by bladebuddy

Guest Hogweed

Hogweed you're chatting s--t, the class of you're sd card is based purely on write speeds. E.G a photographer using boost mode and taking multiple shots , needs a card that writes quickly. A class 10 is know better then any other sd card when it comes to every day usage. It only writes quicker then other lower class sd cards. Or should I say is able to receive information quicker then a lower class sd cards

Has f--k all to do with mounting problems.

Thank you for your childish insults and bad language. Of course the Class is based on the write speed (they also usually have much higher read speeds as well though) . All I suggested as a possibility is that the random unmounting might (just might) be caused by a timing critical bug in low level Input/Output handling. Most people I have noticed before with the problem had not been using a Class 10 card and everyone I personally know with this phone and a Class 10 have never seen random unmounts. Therefore I put forward the possibility that this might be a speed related bug to see if that might fit with what others experience.

And, for my use of the phone I find so many things much faster and smoother with a Class 10 card - especially if I am copying 32GB of data via USB - then it is even quicker than using the phone's internal storage. You might say it is "know (sic) better" but as far as I am concerned it is much better and the apps I have stored on it agree.

In case there is any doubt I am not saying that a Class 4 should not be fine in the G300 - it should do, just slower. I just wondered if the slower the card the more likely the random unmounts caused by the underlying problem.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest thebuell

that has not been my experience with this class 10 card, when used in my laptop it is incredibly quick. With this phone still experience random umounts. I'm definitely sure some sort of obscure bug is somehow being triggered leading to the random umounts.

Guest Hogweed

Transferring via USB as a Windows drive I get read speeds about 20 Megabytes/sec from my card and write speeds of about 16 Megabytes/sec. It actually benchmarks slightly slower on the phone itself but not by that much.

Guest bladebuddy

Thank you for your childish insults and bad language. Of course the Class is based on the write speed (they also usually have much higher read speeds as well though) . All I suggested as a possibility is that the random unmounting might (just might) be caused by a timing critical bug in low level Input/Output handling. Most people I have noticed before with the problem had not been using a Class 10 card and everyone I personally know with this phone and a Class 10 have never seen random unmounts. Therefore I put forward the possibility that this might be a speed related bug to see if that might fit with what others experience.

And, for my use of the phone I find so many things much faster and smoother with a Class 10 card - especially if I am copying 32GB of data via USB - then it is even quicker than using the phone's internal storage. You might say it is "know (sic) better" but as far as I am concerned it is much better and the apps I have stored on it agree.

In case there is any doubt I am not saying that a Class 4 should not be fine in the G300 - it should do, just slower. I just wondered if the slower the card the more likely the random unmounts caused by the underlying problem.

Its the mention " I wouldn't think of putting a class 4 sd card"

That is total useless information that should be erased before people think there is some truth in what you are saying.

People on the forum with a little knowledge have the duty of passing that on.

Recommending you pay top dollar for a class 10 sd card , regarding the post topic is absolutel crap.

The best you can hope for with a class 10 sd card is better bench mark scores and maybe a game loading quicker.

When it comes down to it on Ginger bread as cache was directed to ram you might gain something by partitioning you're sd card and moving cache to it. As a result your sd card might be rendered useless quicker then in normal use.

And that's the bottom line.

All I ask is don't recommend people spend money when they don't need to.

Guest bladebuddy
I'm not trying to get involved in your bitch fight but in all honesty I wouldn't put anything less that a class 6 near a modern smart phone.

I agree , but recommending a higher class sd card might stop a failure on a sd card mounting is absolute bull s--t.

Cyda I know you have more noodles then that.

I totally respect you're work on the forum , just don't want to see people spending money when it's not needed.

I wasn't referring to the mounting issue, so I guess I was kind of OT, sorry; I was referring to the overall system performance degradation caused by running a slow sdcard.

6mb/s write speed should be the bare minimum considering current cpu and ram speeds, IMO.

Edited by Cyda

Guest Davidoff59

I was going to post a log but I can't. When I attach to post, the screen goes blank on mobile. This has been apparent on both stock browser and opera since the site update about six months ago.Also can't edit posts unless I use stock browser.

Guest Hogweed

Its the mention " I wouldn't think of putting a class 4 sd card"

That is total useless information that should be erased before people think there is some truth in what you are saying.

People on the forum with a little knowledge have the duty of passing that on.

Recommending you pay top dollar for a class 10 sd card , regarding the post topic is absolutel crap.

The best you can hope for with a class 10 sd card is better bench mark scores and maybe a game loading quicker.

When it comes down to it on Ginger bread as cache was directed to ram you might gain something by partitioning you're sd card and moving cache to it. As a result your sd card might be rendered useless quicker then in normal use.

And that's the bottom line.

All I ask is don't recommend people spend money when they don't need to.

I said "I wouldn't dream". Anyone else can do what they like. If the only good Class 10 cards really cost "top dollar" then I probably would be more likely to use slower cards, Right now the 16GB Class 10 in the phone at the moment writes at 16 MByte/sec and reads at 20MByte/sec. It cost me £9.50 including P&P from a reputable UK supplier. I have tried a Class 4 and an old Class 2 card. The phone is a pain to use with either of these two cards. It takes literally hours to fill a Class 4 32GB card - terrible for moving large amounts of data around.

CWM backups/restores are so much quicker as well as the previous performance enhancements I've mentioned. And if you want to partition the card as you mention them you might as well use link2sd and move your apps to the Card. Apps load faster and run better if the apps and data are on the real SD card as opposed to the internal SD card. In my experience my Class 10 SD card actually performs close to twice as fast as using the internal logical SD.as the target for link2sd.

And finally to repeat once more: I have never recommended a Class 10 card as a definitive way to fix an unmounting problem. I recommend a Class 10 Card full stop. But that's just my personal opinion - anyone can do what they want. What I had also wondered in passing is if the slower cards might be triggering the latent bug more often based on some previous posts and the fact that I had never seen it with a Class 10. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Btw when I first got the phone I bought a "Verbatim Class 10 Card". - a reputable brand from a reputable local shop. In reality it benchmarks as a Class 6 so now I only buy from suppliers who provide read/write benchmark ratings for all the cards they sell. And yes I do check when I get them that they meet the specs.. Shop around and you can find 16GB cards that are effectively "Class 16" for under a tenner.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest bladebuddy

I said "I wouldn't dream". Anyone else can do what they like. If the only good Class 10 cards really cost "top dollar" then I probably would be more likely to use slower cards, Right now the 16GB Class 10 in the phone at the moment writes at 16 MByte/sec and reads at 20MByte/sec. It cost me £9.50 including P&P from a reputable UK supplier. I have tried a Class 4 and an old Class 2 card. The phone is a pain to use with either of these two cards. It takes literally hours to fill a Class 4 32GB card - terrible for moving large amounts of data around.

CWM backups/restores are so much quicker as well as the previous performance enhancements I've mentioned. And if you want to partition the card as you mention them you might as well use link2sd and move your apps to the Card. Apps load faster and run better if the apps and data are on the real SD card as opposed to the internal SD card. In my experience my Class 10 SD card actually performs close to twice as fast as using the internal logical SD.as the target for link2sd.

And finally to repeat once more: I have never recommended a Class 10 card as a definitive way to fix an unmounting problem. I recommend a Class 10 Card full stop. But that's just my personal opinion - anyone can do what they want. What I had also wondered in passing is if the slower cards might be triggering the latent bug more often based on some previous posts and the fact that I had never seen it with a Class 10. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Btw when I first got the phone I bought a "Verbatim Class 10 Card". - a reputable brand from a reputable local shop. In reality it benchmarks as a Class 6 so now I only buy from suppliers who provide read/write benchmark ratings for all the cards they sell. And yes I do check when I get them that they meet the specs.. Shop around and you can find 16GB cards that are effectively "Class 16" for under a tenner.

I apologize for what I said Hogweed it just looked to me that you where implying that a class 10 card was more likely to work then a lower class. I thought people might think the class might mean a better quality of card and might waste money buying one in order to fix the problem they are having with mounts e.t.c.

Been a stressful weekend for me and maybe I took it out on you.

Sorry for that and again I apologize.

You're right to use a high class sd card and also right to warn people of Moody sd cards.

No hard feelings J.

Guest unaszplodrmann

I wouldn't put anything less that a class 6 near a modern smart phone.

Buying SD cards is very much a mine field though. Its certainly not likely comparing a load of JEDEC rated memory. Cards with dubious ratings make it into retail channels, let alone the stuff you can buy via eBay/Amazon, and its hard to know what you have without benching it. I definitely agree with you, but with an added caveat regarding brands and retailers.