Hogweed

Hogweed

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

Its the mention " I wouldn't think of putting a class 4 sd card"
That is total useless information that should be erased before people think there is some truth in what you are saying.
People on the forum with a little knowledge have the duty of passing that on.
Recommending you pay top dollar for a class 10 sd card , regarding the post topic is absolutel crap.
The best you can hope for with a class 10 sd card is better bench mark scores and maybe a game loading quicker.
When it comes down to it on Ginger bread as cache was directed to ram you might gain something by partitioning you're sd card and moving cache to it. As a result your sd card might be rendered useless quicker then in normal use.
And that's the bottom line.
All I ask is don't recommend people spend money when they don't need to.

I said "I wouldn't dream". Anyone else can do what they like. If the only good Class 10 cards really cost "top dollar" then I probably would be more likely to use slower cards, Right now the 16GB Class 10 in the phone at the moment writes at 16 MByte/sec and reads at 20MByte/sec. It cost me £9.50 including P&P from a reputable UK supplier. I have tried a Class 4 and an old Class 2 card. The phone is a pain to use with either of these two cards. It takes literally hours to fill a Class 4 32GB card - terrible for moving large amounts of data around.

CWM backups/restores are so much quicker as well as the previous performance enhancements I've mentioned. And if you want to partition the card as you mention them you might as well use link2sd and move your apps to the Card. Apps load faster and run better if the apps and data are on the real SD card as opposed to the internal SD card. In my experience my Class 10 SD card actually performs close to twice as fast as using the internal logical SD.as the target for link2sd.

And finally to repeat once more: I have never recommended a Class 10 card as a definitive way to fix an unmounting problem. I recommend a Class 10 Card full stop. But that's just my personal opinion - anyone can do what they want. What I had also wondered in passing is if the slower cards might be triggering the latent bug more often based on some previous posts and the fact that I had never seen it with a Class 10. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Btw when I first got the phone I bought a "Verbatim Class 10 Card". - a reputable brand from a reputable local shop. In reality it benchmarks as a Class 6 so now I only buy from suppliers who provide read/write benchmark ratings for all the cards they sell. And yes I do check when I get them that they meet the specs.. Shop around and you can find 16GB cards that are effectively "Class 16" for under a tenner.

Edited by Hogweed, 02 December 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
The above link is why the SD card is dismounting.Figure it out and we have a possible solution.

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors , family and phone
  • Devices:zte blade + Huawei Ascend G300

I said "I wouldn't dream". Anyone else can do what they like. If the only good Class 10 cards really cost "top dollar" then I probably would be more likely to use slower cards, Right now the 16GB Class 10 in the phone at the moment writes at 16 MByte/sec and reads at 20MByte/sec. It cost me £9.50 including P&P from a reputable UK supplier. I have tried a Class 4 and an old Class 2 card. The phone is a pain to use with either of these two cards. It takes literally hours to fill a Class 4 32GB card - terrible for moving large amounts of data around.

CWM backups/restores are so much quicker as well as the previous performance enhancements I've mentioned. And if you want to partition the card as you mention them you might as well use link2sd and move your apps to the Card. Apps load faster and run better if the apps and data are on the real SD card as opposed to the internal SD card. In my experience my Class 10 SD card actually performs close to twice as fast as using the internal logical SD.as the target for link2sd.

And finally to repeat once more: I have never recommended a Class 10 card as a definitive way to fix an unmounting problem. I recommend a Class 10 Card full stop. But that's just my personal opinion - anyone can do what they want. What I had also wondered in passing is if the slower cards might be triggering the latent bug more often based on some previous posts and the fact that I had never seen it with a Class 10. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Btw when I first got the phone I bought a "Verbatim Class 10 Card". - a reputable brand from a reputable local shop. In reality it benchmarks as a Class 6 so now I only buy from suppliers who provide read/write benchmark ratings for all the cards they sell. And yes I do check when I get them that they meet the specs.. Shop around and you can find 16GB cards that are effectively "Class 16" for under a tenner.

I apologize for what I said Hogweed it just looked to me that you where implying that a class 10 card was more likely to work then a lower class. I thought people might think the class might mean a better quality of card and might waste money buying one in order to fix the problem they are having with mounts e.t.c.
Been a stressful weekend for me and maybe I took it out on you.
Sorry for that and again I apologize.
You're right to use a high class sd card and also right to warn people of Moody sd cards.
No hard feelings J.

Biohazard

unaszplodrmann

unaszplodrmann

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300

I wouldn't put anything less that a class 6 near a modern smart phone.

Buying SD cards is very much a mine field though. Its certainly not likely comparing a load of JEDEC rated memory. Cards with dubious ratings make it into retail channels, let alone the stuff you can buy via eBay/Amazon, and its hard to know what you have without benching it. I definitely agree with you, but with an added caveat regarding brands and retailers.

Kill the bee... and ultimately... you'll have nothing to spread on your toast — John Shuttleworth

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
So back to the topic now we actually have a proper log.

Hogweed

Hogweed

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

Been a stressful weekend for me and maybe I took it out on you.
Sorry for that and again I apologize.
You're right to use a high class sd card and also right to warn people of Moody sd cards.
No hard feelings J.

Thanks for that. Glad we got it sorted. And you've managed to cheer me up on a Monday which is always a good thing -)

thebuell

thebuell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Devices:Y300, Nexus 7
Ever since I switched to CM9 I don't get as many random umount events as I used to but it is early days yet.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
Been doing a bit of research on this. I read to do a full slow format on windows by doing a fat32 format. I have done this on a problematic card and havent had issue in 20 mins. I was getting an unmount every few minutes and will let you know how it goes.

Please note you need to do a full slow format, not the quick format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users