Jiayu G3 now rooted.

Guest putbinoot

Guest Argon007

Hello,

I got also a Jiayu G3. Rooted it and installed the new official 29/11/2012 version from Jiayu. At this moment everything is ok, the only problem that I have is the GPS. It takes 20 a 30minutes to fix on the sattelites... So this is the sad news. I just ordered one more for my father. I will look if i got the same problem or not.

At this moment there are not much custom roms for this device (you can find them here on a deutsch forum http://chinamobiles....-Tools-amp-ROMs ).

Are there users here who does have problem with the GPS receiver in the phone?

Guest FrankieADZ

Hello,

I got also a Jiayu G3. Rooted it and installed the new official 29/11/2012 version from Jiayu. At this moment everything is ok, the only problem that I have is the GPS. It takes 20 a 30minutes to fix on the sattelites... So this is the sad news. I just ordered one more for my father. I will look if i got the same problem or not.

At this moment there are not much custom roms for this device (you can find them here on a deutsch forum http://chinamobiles....-Tools-amp-ROMs ).

how do u install the new firmware?

through the update system app?...

does it affect root on the phone?

sorry for the questions

Guest putbinoot

Hello,

Hi Argon ask you a question on china about your recovery so hope you can answer it, as for GPS max for me is about 15-40 seconds what are you using to find the sats google maps or an app. I am using a free app GPS Test and google maps both of which seem to take about the same amount of time but none of which are as fast as YGPRS in engineering mode. Using mobileuncle / engineering mode/ engineering mode (MTK)/YGPRS/ finds sats in 3.1seconds when phone is placed outside window.

Build Number G3 20121115-084708 which was on the phone when i got it.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest Al_1604

GPS max for me is about 15-40 seconds

That's a lot better than my TomTom! Have you enabled 'GPS EPO assistance'? (and 'A-GPS'?). Certainly helps my G2 get a quick fix (even works indoors sometimes when the TomTom totally fails).?

Guest putbinoot

you think its still worth getting the phone or waiting for the G2S?

I think you have to decide what screen size you want because there is not much else different 4" G2 or 4.5" G3 i think G3 will get Jellybean but you will know by the time they get to releasing the G2s if JB is not on the G3 by then and you JB then it's the G2s you buy.

Guest putbinoot

i bit the bullet and give in and ordered a Silver version this morning :)

LOL, you won't be disappointed it's a great phone and I would play with it for a while before you root and only root if you really want to be trying roms or need to install apps that need root.

Where did you buy it from and hope you can take a backup of the recovery and all the rest before you root if you decide to, also check if you have the standard android recovery before you do anything.

Guest FrankieADZ

LOL, you won't be disappointed it's a great phone and I would play with it for a while before you root and only root if you really want to be trying roms or need to install apps that need root.

Where did you buy it from and hope you can take a backup of the recovery and all the rest before you root if you decide to, also check if you have the standard android recovery before you do anything.

I brought it off a seller on Ebay. had money in my Paypal so cost me nearer £100 :) *including case, 8gb SD and screen protector & DHL Shipping* :)

i dont know if i'll root it and all that as dont it effect update to further releases of official ROMS...also how do you update to further offical ROMS?

how would i check if there a recovery and how to make a back up?

*sorry for the questions,"noob" with the device*

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest putbinoot

I brought it off a seller on Ebay. had money in my Paypal so cost me nearer £100 :) *including case, 8gb SD and screen protector & DHL Shipping* :)

i dont know if i'll root it and all that as dont it effect update to further releases of official ROMS...also how do you update to further offical ROMS?

how would i check if there a recovery and how to make a back up?

*sorry for the questions,"noob" with the device*

If it was me I would not bother rooting there is no great rom development, also if you are not installing roms then there is no need to back up, if you want to back up then you would need to root i believe.

1- To test for android back up turn phone off after unchecking quick boot which is in menu/system settings/accessibility - quick boot. You can turn quick boot back on after check, quick boot just means when you turn phone of it does not go of it goes to deep sleep so it then boots faster when you turn it back on, if you need to turn phone fully off you need to turn this feature of. To go into recover when phone is of press power and volume up at the same time and hold until you see the android, if android is on his arse then you have a buggy standard android recovery if not you will get a list of things you can do which is very short in the standard recovery hence why people put on cwm which gives a lot more options including to back up.

2- Getting any updates should be easy if you do not route they will either be OTA (over the air) then it's menu/system settings/about phone/system updates or software updates I am not sure. Or you will be able to download a zip file put it on your phone and use the phones own update system app which is in the app drawer.

Rooting will stop you getting official updates you would have to wait until someone turned the update into a package that could be installed by cwm.

Guest reganlives

I came across the Miui stuff yesterday and have noticed that its available to download but doesnt state any specific phones. I understand that Miui is meant to be quite good but would it would on the G3 you think? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my phone once I get it but would like to root it so I can install more apps on it etc but then again I want to be able to back it up etc as well if required and dont want to lose that ability.

Guest putbinoot

I came across the Miui stuff yesterday and have noticed that its available to download but doesnt state any specific phones. I understand that Miui is meant to be quite good but would it would on the G3 you think? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my phone once I get it but would like to root it so I can install more apps on it etc but then again I want to be able to back it up etc as well if required and dont want to lose that ability.

Think this is the list, from their site so not for G3 I don't think.

• 1 month later...
Guest RussellS

I saw some review of early batches which have poor quality control; i.e glass not fitting correctly, abnormal battery drain, and some noise on the mic while charging..did any of you guys have these?

Also, how good is the screen? can it be at par with the Samsung S3? And how good is the battery life?

TIA

I havn't heard any problems regarding quality control as such, only that they had problems with their original lcd screen supplier and had to find an alternative supplier which was the reason for the delayed release.

Their was a battery drain issue when in standby with an earlier firmware release but that was apparently sorted with the November firmware release (G3-20121129-082828).

The build quality on mine is excellent and everything is fitted perfectly. I can't comment on the mic noise as I havn't tested it but I will do some testing today and let you know.

With regard to the screen, it really is excellent. I havn't done a side by side comparison with a S3 but I have seen both and I don't feel at all dissapointed with the G3 screen after looking at an S3. Also the touch screen is really, really excellent. It glides around so smoothly and has excellent sensitivity. I don't think anybody could find fault with either the lcd or the touch screen.

Also, the stock firmware appears to be excellent. With the Huawei G300 it has been a constant battle to find the best firmware. However, with the G3 the stock firmware just seems to work and I haven’t found any bugs or annoyances (see caveat below).

I have found one problem with the G3 which I am still investigating related to the bluetooth. I am having difficulty getting it to work with the built in bluetooth hands free system in my car. The G3 is running Jelly Bean (4.1.2) and would pair with the car bluetooth but would then not connect reliably. However, I have seen lots of reports on the internet of other phones having problems like this after updating to Jelly Bean most noticeably from Samsung Galaxy S3 owners. Apparently this is due to Google changing the bluetooth stack in 4.1.1 onwards which has caused various problems with some bluetooth profiles. However, the G3 works fine with a Bluetooth headset, Bluetooth stereo headphones and a bluetooth A2DP music receiver. It is only my car bluetooth that is having problems at this moment.

I am currently going back to ICS to test the bluetooth to see if it works ok with that. I will report back when I have more information.

Guest RussellS

....... and some noise on the mic while charging..did any of you guys have these?

I have tested it today by making some sound recordings using the mic with the phone charging and not charging and I can honestly say there is no difference in the sound quality or the noise level. However, I'm not using the charger supplied with the G3 as I don't particularly trust the very cheap chinese chargers. It doesn't have any CE or BS certification labels on it and also it has a US mains connector. Therefore I have tested using the G300 charger, a Motorola Charger and an HTC charger and they are all fine.

Now, with regards to the Bluetooth and my car hands free system. I'm happy to report that having downgraded to ICS the bluetooth connection to my car appears to be working fine. It has downloaded the phonebook to the car & I've made and received a few calls without issue. So it looks as though the issues I had were related to Jelly Bean and the fact that Google appear to have dropped the ball a bit. I have seen further reports from Galaxy S3 & Google Nexus owners reporting various bluetooth issues since updating to Jelly bean especially with regard to car hands free systems.

I will keep my phone on ICS for a few days just to check that it is indeed working consistantly and reliably in the car and then, once this is confirmed, go back to Jelly Bean and see if I can get that working.

Edited by RussellS