Jiayu G3 now rooted.

Guest putbinoot

Guest RussellS

Somebody here at Modaco believes the Umi X1 is better than the G3 except the battery. He mentioned there's a slight lag on the G3 even when creating an Sms, probably due to the bigger HD screen and older GPU..anyways I've been happy with my ZTE BLADE, and I believe the G3 is a worthy upgrade..

Obviously I can't comment on the Umi X1 because I don't actually own one so I cannot do a side by side comparison. However, I personally don't think there is anything really to choose between them as the specs are pretty much the same except for battery size. I don't know why you think that the G3 has a bigger HD screen or an older GPU because they are both exactly the same. Both phones have a 720x1280, 326 ppi screen and both phones have a PowerVR SGX531 Ultra GPU.

The specs of both phones can be seen here which is the retailer I purchased my G3 from. You need to scroll down the page past all the pictures to get to the specs.

Umi X1: http://etotalk.com/u...bean_p3206.html

Jiayu G3: http://etotalk.com/j...id40_p3144.html

With respect to the slight lag you mentioned, I can honestly say I havn't experienced any lag at all. Everything is silky smooth. I've tried three different roms in my G3 and they have all been extremely responsive with no signs of lag whatsoever and I do tend to have quite a few widgets on my home screens which would make any lag even worse were it present.

So, bearing in mind that both phones appear to be pretty much the same inside, the only thing to choose between them is the styling and, of course, the battery size.

Edited by RussellS

I just read that buddy, (or misread it for that matter) and hard to link it up using Tapatalk..however what concerned me most was the word "lag" when I saw it, and I don't uave much experience with Mediatek, so.. ;)

anyways thanks for the reassurance..I myself believe that the only differences aside from the battery size is the styling, and I'm leaning towards the g3..

Edited by [email protected]

Guest RussellS

I just read that buddy, (or misread it for that matter) and hard to link it up using Tapatalk..however what concerned me most was the word "lag" when I saw it, and I don't uave much experience with Mediatek, so.. ;)

anyways thanks for the reassurance..I myself believe that the only differences aside from the battery size is the styling, and I'm leaning towards the g3..

Just one more thing, I don't know what this particular chipset and GPU is like for gaming and I think it would probably struggle with some of the more graphics intense 3D games out there. However I think that would be the same for any phone in this price range. I personally don't want a phone for those types of games. Look at the following YouTube video which shows three different Chinese phones with this chipset & GPU running N.O.V.A 3. You have to bear in mind of course that he is comparing them to a phone that costs £300+.

All the games I have run on the phone however have run very smoothly but then they weren't highly graphics intensive 3D FPS games.

Edited by RussellS

owI saw that review a few days ago, and tbh, I don't expect it to be a gaming machine - I have my desktop for that..but it's good to know it can play some new games..I believe the G3 gets about 5000+ in Antutu, and another user claims he gets 6,000 points with a particular ROM..heck - my Allwinner A10 tablet scores just about 2500, but I'm happy with it, how much more double the performance..lol

For me, the G3 will be for browsing and other online stuff, and happy to see it has 1gb ram and the big batteries (not quite sure if the mah rating is correct)..multitasking and 3G connectivity are the most important considerations, plus a great screen for reading..(I have two batteries charged up at all times with my Blade, as we all know 3G, data, and screen times are battery killers)

But yeah, a decent proccy-gpu combo in this price tag and design makes the G3 a winner in my book! Can't wait for the Chinese New Year holidays to be finished and have the G3 delivered!

Now, going back to Root, you guys tried Superuser App and SuperSu? Some devices have issues with one or the other..also do they have a rooted Stock rom from the manufacturer? Not that I care about warranties, just good to know.. ;)

Another bonus of rooting? we can try Chainfire to lower down some graphics of some games..maybe we can add a few FPS out of that NOVA game, and GTA, both of which can be found on Youtube running slow on the G3..

Guest RussellS

Now, going back to Root, you guys tried Superuser App and SuperSu? Some devices have issues with one or the other..also do they have a rooted Stock rom from the manufacturer? Not that I care about warranties, just good to know.. ;)

I have used both Superuser & SuperSu albeit on different roms and they both seem to work fine. Here are the roms I have used:

I purchased the G3 from Etotalk and opted for their mod rom which, I think, is a stock rom with just the Chinese apps removed and the standard google apps and services added. This rom was rooted when I got it.

I then installed the beta 4.1.2 Jelly Bean rom as described in putbinoot's post http://www.modaco.co...d/#entry2063123 . This rom is pre-rooted and contains all the Google stuff. If I remember correctly this had Superuser installed.

I then installed the last official ICS rom (G3-20121129-082828) which is not pre-rooted. I rooted it by following putbinoot's guide again and this uses SuperSu.

I have found a collection of ROMs for the Jiayu G3 http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g3/

looks like a rather large collection, but I'm looking forward to a CM or AOKP - based ones..

I'm not sure if kernel sources have been released as mentioned in this blog http://techideki.com/jiayu-g3-official-firmware-update-g3-20121129-082828/ (last paragraph), and if so, it won't be long before some serious ROMs will be released as well..

Guest RussellS

I have found a collection of ROMs for the Jiayu G3 http://www.needrom.c...-roms/jiayu/g3/

Nice find, I will check those out.

I'm not sure if kernel sources have been released as mentioned in this blog http://techideki.com...0121129-082828/ (last paragraph), and if so, it won't be long before some serious ROMs will be released as well..

To be honest I am extremely impressed with the stock roms. Except for the small problem I have experienced with bluetooth in the beta 4.1.2 rom I havn't come across any bugs or annoyances at all. As it stands at the moment I would be quite happy staying on the November ICS release rom which I am running at the moment. Obviously Jelly Bean would be nice but I'm not desperate for it at the moment.

However, having said that, it is always nice to have some developer support for the phone to carry on when the manufacturer has moved on to newer models and stops development on the previous models. It would be nice to see a CyanogenMod release for the G3 either officially by the CM team (unlikely) or a port by a third party developer.

P.S. Bluetooth is still working fine in my car since going back to ICS.

I don't know if this really works, or if it would work with the Jiayu G3, but this looks interesting (OP 5) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2114292

Basically what it does is it allows you to repartition the internal storage so you can install more apps..kinda like a TPT Resize for the ZTE Blade which I have and have found useful.

OP 6 seems to be fix for GPS..

Guest RussellS

Does the stock ROM have Performance Settings? and does the stock kernel allow overclock / underclock or maybe voltage controls?

No, the stock rom doesn't allow any of that.

No, the stock rom doesn't allow any of that.

So, how do we make Jiayu release the Kernel sources? The way it is, mt6577 would just stay competitive for another 6 months or so. But if we have custom development we would probably be okay for at least a year. Look at the ZTE Blade. It's probably the non highend phone with the biggest community. It has been three years since it has been released and its still as updated as we speak: I got 4.2.2 on mine!