Wireless charging options for the Nexus 4

Guest The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief

I'm always a bit wary about starting new Topics on Modaco - looks like I'm breaking virgin snow here though...

I see from this news item Paul posted last month and the comments that followed that the N4 uses the Qi standard. I'm an utter noob when it comes to wireless charging, but I assume that one needs a receiver device (here, a Nexus 4 with built in receiver) and a compatible transmitter, so in this case a Qi charging pad. The Maxell Air Voltage and Bitmore Charging Pad are each available for 40 quid.

XDA developers has a few optionsfrom Energizer and Panasonic, though it appears only the former is available in the UK currently (and quite pricey too)

In the comments on the above-linked news page Flibblesan linked to a Nokia device available through Handtec - not available anymore :-( Also as Zarch1972 points out the Palm Touchstone doesn't work

There are a bunch of cheap Powermat options (I think Powermat is a Duracell brand) on Amazon, but I assume these are not Qi compatible

Similarly there are some Duracell Mygrid pads going for pennies - I guess these are not compatible

Can anyone confirm whether the Nokia chargers are compatible with the N4?

Any other suggestions?

EDIT:

Here's a bit more info on N4 wireless charging. Confirms that Nokia chargers are Qi compatible, Powermat are not.

Also that Qi is pronounced "chee" - who knew? Also there's an "LG Portable Power Mat", but it's unavailable through Amazon UK at the mo

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief

I've ordered a crappy plastic case from some amazon seller - just to save me smashing the fragile beauty in the early days. Hopefully will get something a bit prettier as things come on stream. It will be a shame to cover up that gorgeous backplate...

Re chargers, the two 40 quid ones mentioned above are both Qi chargers. I just want to hear a few reviews before I flash the cash

Surprised the Chinese sellers haven't weighed in here - Qi is an open standard - there are no royalties to pay, so it should just be a matter of someone wanting to set up buiding them

EDIT - just had a look on Aliexpress - the best anyone will do for a Qi charger is about $50 - slightly less wholesale, but only slightly. That's about 30 quid - for the reduction in hassle, I think the Maxell or the Bitmore look well worth the tenner extra

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Pondlife

Yeah I got that the 40 quid ones were qi, but thought the cheap ones were too old. I did see one reviewer had troubles with the nokia charger and the n4.

I expect there's not been enough interest in wireless chargers for the budget sellers to flood the market yet. If there is more interest now I think they'll start churning them out fast. I'm in no rush for the qi charger can wait for saner prices, preferably that charge more than one device.

Expect we'll see more cases first though. Yeah was hoping for one with a totally clear back. Ordered front and back screen protectors and a slip case as temporary measure.

Guest everett_psycho

I've ordered a maxell charger but it's taking a while to turn up, I'll post more when it arrives. Also found this as an import but went with the maxell as I had a play voucher to use anyway

http://www.vococal.com/qi-wireless-charger-for-iphone-4-4s-white_p12461.html

Also got a cheap tpu case of eBay for about £3, the clear ones hide a chunk of the back but you can still see the nexus logo and some of the effect of the back glass, hopefully some manufacturers will get on board making decent cases and qi chargers

Guest Pondlife

Not really as that was over a month ago and they were churning out charging cables for the new iphone in hours.

Tbh I don't see the adoption by wp8 phones and the nexus 4 of qi as definitive for which charging standard wins out.

Guest professordes

The 40 quid Maxell charger picked up from one of the on-line retailers in the UK works very nicely with the N4 (as it should, being Qi). It is a fair bit bigger than the phone, although it is light, so it isn't really a very portable option. It would be nice to have something rollable....

Guest everett_psycho

Mines in my bag at the moment to try at work, it's really light but it is about the size of a 7 inch tablet so not that portable.

Also add Paul found out, nexus glass on a plastic plate is very slippery, you need a case on the nexus to stop if sliding off

Guest t0ph0id

My Maxell case arrive today. I don't find it slippery in the slightest when my phone is on it with no case.

It is bigger than the phone, but it needs to be. About the size I expected to be honest.

I found it charged pretty quickly, but did get a bit warm. Will try and log some temperatures.

Guest everett_psycho
My Maxell case arrive today. I don't find it slippery in the slightest when my phone is on it with no case.

It is bigger than the phone, but it needs to be. About the size I expected to be honest.

I found it charged pretty quickly, but did get a bit warm. Will try and log some temperatures.

I found mine seems to charge faster in the case which is a bit weird

Guest StuMcBill

I looked at the Nokia wireless charging plate the other day, seems to be a nice piece of kit!

I *think* it is qi compatible, and if I had my N4 (its being held hostage until Christmas), I would have stuck it on the plate in Carphone Warehouse!

Guest Weasley

I can confirm that the Nokia plate works fine with the N4. I've stuck mine on a few in CPW without any problem.

I tried the Lumia 920 wireless plate on my N4. its keep displaying charging and not charging. ocassionally its will charge 1% on wireless then not charging again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Sn0warmy

If you can get your hands on the LG WCP-700 Wireless Charging Pad, I highly recommend it. I've been using it since mid-December and it's been absolutely flawless. I picked it up for about $40 shipped at the time it was available on Amazon.

I should mention that it charges the phone perfectly even with the official bumper and the Diztronic TPU case.

Edited by Sn0warmy

Guest everett_psycho

I'd guess the maxell does, or works through my tpu case which has rubber all down the back of the phone so with nothing in the way I'd think the bumper would work fine

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ribs85

Hi,

I've ended up getting two QI Chargers this week. I only ordered the car version, but actually got the car version, and the desktop version. Dunno why, maybe I ordered wrong, but whatever...

The charger is here:

Car version:

http://owlpad.net/carpad-for-nexus-4/

Desktop version:

http://owlpad.net/owlpad-for-nexus-4-n-qi/

Initial impressions are good. Both the car charger and the desktop charger did indeed charge the phone.

The car charger struggled on the *very short* journey I did yesterday (6 minutes!), phone was 96% charged, and the car charger said it was fully charged in about a minute, the phone stayed at 96% however, so who knows. But that's good enough for satnavving, if it holds the charge long enough. I shall be testing it this afternoon when I go for a much longer drive.

I've mounted the car charger onto a 17mm mount, in turn mounted to brodit mount in the car. It's all a little bit more bulky than I would like, but looks nice and keeps things away from the screen, which is what I want.

Oddly, the car charger comes with a raiser, to move the phone off the QI coil a little bit. Moon (the man who made this), says it's to prevent heat build up with charging the phone and using satnav at the same time. I shall try it both with and without the mount and see how I get on. Heat build up and the phone/unit ceasing to charge when it's getting too hot have been a major problem during the development of this product. The car environment only makes it worse, with sunlight hitting the device and high temperatures (or no air-conditioning) causing issues (I did experience this more than once with my old Orange San Diego with regular wired charging).

The desktop charger worked fine. Woke up this morning to 100% charge, but oddly the phone said it had only been off the charger for 26 minutes when I took it off the QI charger, so maybe it had charged, discharged a bit and then charged again? I don't know. I use a app in the background to help me sleep, so this might have something do with it. I've heard awful things about this charger crapping out at 60-80%, so I guess time will tell on that one, but initial impressions are good. So be honest, even if it charges in chunks and stop/starts overnight, I think I'll probably be okay with that.

I've only used both items once so far. Will report back later if anyone is interested in hearing more?