tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts
  • Interests:Time & Space
  • Devices:Moto X
lol the funny thing about china phones is how most on here were just waiting for stock...
but because of how fast the mobile market advances, there is always something better just around the corner hahah

so.. people who are waiting for the 2GB RAM version of the G4 get put off by the new MTK6589+ so insted wait for a device with that...
but by the time that is here there are possibly 3GB RAM phones or for example a 2Ghz MTK6599 just around the corner so could deiced to wait for that lol

we could be stuck waiting for ever... it advances that fast,
so for me, come the end of may i'm just getting the best spec device that's in stock... for around £120 to £140
as i will be giving it to my daughter when she finishes for the holidays.

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1 8297w
I`m going the easier way: First £120 to £150 quadCPU/1gb phone with
official chinese OS (known ones) support during next few months.

Edited by dakok, 19 May 2013 - 06:47 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

logo-telekineza.png 

Coolpad F1 software and stuff 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Devices:coolpad F1 8297w & redmi note2

i would choose the Vowney V5 as its has a a much better OGS display, i couldn't go back to the standard displays.
and it supports more bands from what i can see.

Vowney V5 WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz

Newman K1 WCDMA 850/2100MHz

the rest of the specs look the same.

From the Newman web site band support seems better than suppliers suggest

Network standard GPRS, EDGE, HDPA + Support band: 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900

3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz

full spec here......

http://www.newman.mobi/mobile/k1.html

akarana

akarana

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300 ics

Here's a few from the list I really, really like:

£135
http://www.pandawill...-4g-p74240.html

Posted Image

Freelander i30 is OEM of Newsmy N3
http://www.antelife....mart-phone.html

Cloning the clones, ad infinitum ...

Wacky.ddw

Wacky.ddw

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Devices:None :(

lol the funny thing about china phones is how most on here were just waiting for stock...
but because of how fast the mobile market advances, there is always something better just around the corner hahah

so.. people who are waiting for the 2GB RAM version of the G4 get put off by the new MTK6589+ so insted wait for a device with that...
but by the time that is here there are possibly 3GB RAM phones or for example a 2Ghz MTK6599 just around the corner so could deiced to wait for that lol

we could be stuck waiting for ever... it advances that fast,
so for me, come the end of may i'm just getting the best spec device that's in stock... for around £120 to £140
as i will be giving it to my daughter when she finishes for the holidays.

Yea it now allready feels like i've been waiting forever for the Jiayu G4. But £140 is exactly the price i paid to preorder the G4 advanced. And it will probably get the MTK6589 turbo + the 2gb ram would still make it the best deal. Some places they say a mid june release some places they say 15 augst i wouldnt even be suprised if they would delay it again in august... If any other phone gets released meanwile with the same specs i would buy it immediatly but i dont think anything with those specs will arive before end may and this time i really want a phone that will last a while. Because the ZTE skate was a great first smartphone for me but its slow as hell and its really time for an upgrade.

Is it likely that MTK will ever release there kernel sources?
And isnt it possible to crack? I dont know anything about this stuff but if they can crack the PS3 to make it run homebrew i cant immagine it would be hard to crack a sellphone cpu or is this a completly different thing?

>>>> [FAQ] Rooting for beginners <<<<

Tutorial on installing installing Superboot and Clockworkmod.

Changing bootscreen, how to unbrick and more.

[UPDATED 26-02-2012]

Wacky.ddw

Wacky.ddw

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
Also i dont understand why this phone hasnt been mentioned before. The dakele 2 (Aka Big cola 2)

$249.99 = €192

5.3" 720p Display
2GB RAM
32gb ROM
13MP camera
MHL HD output, USB OTG

Antutu score = 12898

This all seems good for such a low price, only the screen is a little to big and the phone is to thick.

Edited by Wacky.ddw, 19 May 2013 - 11:41 PM.

[UPDATED 26-02-2012]

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

it depends on the manufacture of the device you have.

ACER recently released kernel source for one of there MTK6589 devices
http://androidjugaad...ad.php?pid=2609

and i would think ZTE & HUAWEI have done the same for there MTK6589 devices.
the best thing to do is ask the manufacture of the device you plan on getting if they will be releasing the kernel source
just drop them a email asking.

And isnt it possible to crack? I dont know anything about this stuff but if they can crack the PS3 to make it run homebrew i cant immagine it would be hard to crack a sellphone cpu or is this a completly different thing?

totally different thing,

the PS3 was hacked to run unsigned code by getting the LV0 keys, then replacing the LV0 loader as far as i know, which allows CFW

akarana

akarana

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300 ics

Is MTK the problem? Do they have a non-Linux kernel?
I heard some moaning on another forum by someone who said if Huawei didn't release the kernel source for his phone he might complain to EFF about a GPL violation. I pointed him to his kernel source, on the Chinese site :P

How many MTK6589 devices does Huawei make? I've found G520, and G615 (U9508) both of which have had various versions of firmwares released, Chinese and "general", but no kernels.

jordanclarke69

jordanclarke69

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Pulse/G300
fast card tech has the vowney v5 in stock, is anyone else getting one?

i'm scared of getting one by myself.... would feel much braver doing it with someone else!!

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
In case anybody is thinking of using merimobobiles thought I would keep you up to date with my experience.

1) Instant help through their chat with us now…… great service
2) Email / message in my account…… great response time
3) Paid for Vowney V5 and Newman K1 on Friday 17th may via paypal.
4) Newman K1 says awaiting fulfilment, whatever that means, not sure if it mean’s we haven’t got stock.
5) Vowney V5 says awaiting payment, had to send paypal transaction number today to see if they can trace it…..Not so good.

If there is any interest I will update as it progresses.

Wacky.ddw

Wacky.ddw

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

it depends on the manufacture of the device you have.

ACER recently released kernel source for one of there MTK6589 devices
http://androidjugaad...ad.php?pid=2609

and i would think ZTE & HUAWEI have done the same for there MTK6589 devices.
the best thing to do is ask the manufacture of the device you plan on getting if they will be releasing the kernel source
just drop them a email asking.

So from what i undestand now it all depends on the manufacture if there is going to be the ability for custom roms? So samsung etc they actually release this? I tought they where against rooting they have the system with the triangle if you root it but still they give people the ability to develop for it or am i wrong again?

So in theory the Acer device is just as easy to develop roms for now than any other normal device?

the PS3 was hacked to run unsigned code by getting the LV0 keys, then replacing the LV0 loader as far as i know, which allows CFW

Yea Geohot and failoverflow hacked it but only released the LV2 keys, then later this year the LV0 keys got leaked. But still i dont undestand anything about this :P Where do you even learn this stuff? :D

[UPDATED 26-02-2012]

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

In case anybody is thinking of using merimobobiles thought I would keep you up to date with my experience.

4) Newman K1 says awaiting fulfilment, whatever that means, not sure if it mean’s we haven’t got stock.
5) Vowney V5 says awaiting payment, had to send paypal transaction number today to see if they can trace it…..Not so good.

Definitely interested. I'm seriously looking at the V5 or K1.. not sure which one is best .. I was hoping you could give us a review to help me make up my mind :P .

It seems buying from China is an ordeal and takes a lot of patience, just look at Tillaz's experience.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Update..........Merimobiles have found the missing paypal payment and updated my account to paid, also confirmed scheduled shipping date for the Vowney v5 is Wednesday and the Newman K1 is Thursday. fingers crossed.........so far really impressed with their efficiency

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

So Samsung etc they actually release this? I thought they where against rooting they have the system with the triangle if you root it but still they give people the ability to develop for it or am i wrong again?

since android uses a linux based kernel they are all "supposed" to release the kernel source under GPL, if not they can be reported for violation.

But unfortunately this is not always done... people like Samsung releasing incomplete source (Exynos) and others releasing none at all... :(

Wacky.ddw

Wacky.ddw

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

since android uses a linux based kernel they are all "supposed" to release the kernel source under GPL, if not they can be reported for violation.

But unfortunately this is not always done... people like Samsung releasing incomplete source (Exynos) and others releasing none at all... :(

Ok i just did some googling on GPL it makes a little more sence now. But if they have to release it cant people sue them if they dont?

Also i didnt know that MIUI = Xiaomi so could the reason be that they dont release there sources that there ui could be ported? Because only releasing the kernel for the phone has nothing to do with the rom or root right?

And the jiayu g4 is nowhere to be seen and there is allready a custom rom and cmw :s
http://www.needrom.c...obile/jiayu-g4/

Gizchina posted that there will be a turbo version of the g4 to.

[UPDATED 26-02-2012]

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Update..........Merimobiles have found the missing paypal payment and updated my account to paid, also confirmed scheduled shipping date for the Vowney v5 is Wednesday and the Newman K1 is Thursday. fingers crossed.........so far really impressed with their efficiency

Awesome news..

I've been looking more closely at the Newman K1 and I don't think the 1gb version comes with a 13mp camera. It's listed everywhere else as an 8mp camera, and IMO that's a good thing because I downloaded some full HD pictures from Gizchina, that were taken with the UMI X2 and G4, and I think the G4 is punching above its weight with a 13mp camera. Also only merimobile has it listed with an OGS screen so it's probably just IPS.

bryfly

bryfly

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Awesome news..

I've been looking more closely at the Newman K1 and I don't think the 1gb version comes with a 13mp camera. It's listed everywhere else as an 8mp camera, and IMO that's a good thing because I downloaded some full HD pictures from Gizchina, that were taken with the UMI X2 and G4, and I think the G4 is punching above its weight with a 13mp camera. Also only merimobile has it listed with an OGS screen so it's probably just IPS.

Defo only 8mp camera, as for OGS you maybe right but if you Google "Newman K1 OGS", lots of sites come up and say it has OGS.......

Anybody know how to tell if a mobile has OGS or not?, googled it and could not find away of telling..

blaster99999

blaster99999

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Tech hacking gaming, motor sport , snooker
  • Devices:g300/ v970/vowney v5

According to the info
https://www.dropbox....r5w/Capture.PNG
I see the phone advertised in many Russian forums. Thats why probably out of stock.

mine as also now been dispatched and I have a tracking number so should have in my hands in a few weeks, let me know how you get on, china to uk last time with my pandawill order took 3 weeks in total

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Defo only 8mp camera, as for OGS you maybe right but if you Google "Newman K1 OGS", lots of sites come up and say it has OGS.......

Anybody know how to tell if a mobile has OGS or not?, googled it and could not find away of telling..

If you translate Newman website regarding the K1 here ( I think this is the 1gb version) then there is not mention of OGS: http://www.newman.mobi/mobile/k1.html scroll all the way down after translating.

Could be lost in translation though..

Edited by Rico_89, 20 May 2013 - 08:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users