[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest tillaz

Soon as someone gets there v5 let me know and I will build TWRP in English with instructions on how to install it, then root and install Google apps.

Guest arranhs

Soon as someone gets there v5 let me know and I will build TWRP in English with instructions on how to install it, then root and install Google apps.

That would be awesome tillaz :D Also knowing your awesome experience in this sort of thing is this tutorial here any good for the likes of me, if i, say, wanted to make cwm for an unsupported Chinese phone/wanted CWM instead of TWRP?

I also found and english version of CWM for all MTK6589 phones here although i cant be sure if it works.

Plus the chinese CWM is here

Edited by arranhs

Guest tillaz

That would be awesome tillaz biggrin.png Also knowing your awesome experience in this sort of thing is this tutorial here any good for the likes of me, if i, say, wanted to make cwm for an unsupported Chinese phone/wanted CWM instead of TWRP?

I also found and english version of CWM for all MTK6589 phones here although i cant be sure if it works.

Plus the chinese CWM is here

its best to build it for your device rather than using something that is said to be universal,

as the partition table can be different on other MTK6589 devices which in short can hard brick your device.

I cant vouch for that guide as i have not tried it before, but as long as you are using the correct info / files from your device you should be ok.

Guest blaster99999

royal mail tried to deliver mine today so will pick it up from sorting office in morning, but I did ask for root option so should have gapps installed but will see.

Guest ChrisPNE
From time to time I would need to use a Vodafone SIM (when on call for work) in the SPV.

Has anyone successfully managed to get Orange to unlock their SPV yet? How much did it cost? (I assume its around 35 quid + the rest of your contract up front?)

I can't wait to hear your opinions on the V5. You may just tempt me into buying one.

Guest blaster99999

if anyone is after a cheap dual core dual sim 4.7 inch screen , I got 2 of the hero v6888 last week , rooted and installed English rom with all Chinese apps removed and English gapps installed, this phone for £60 delivered is a bargain , a few niggles but good china starter phone.

Guest Sere83

royal mail tried to deliver mine today so will pick it up from sorting office in morning, but I did ask for root option so should have gapps installed but will see.

Sweet! Looks like your gonna be the first to get your mits on the goods. Look forward to hearing what you think.

Another G4 review, in depth but painfull to read:

http://bbs.ejiayu.com/thread-518176-1-1.html[/CODE]

Nice. The G4 looks so sweet, but the price is too much, almost all international retailers have bumped the basic version now over $260

Guest blaster99999

these are the phones I have to compare , Huawei g300 , zte v970 , hero v6888 , so the v5 should be a good few steps in front of all those.

Guest Rico_89

Nice. The G4 looks so sweet, but the price is too much, almost all international retailers have bumped the basic version now over $260

That's my thoughts exactly.. Although the G4 is looking kind of thick ..

these are the phones I have to compare , Huawei g300 , zte v970 , hero v6888 , so the v5 should be a good few steps in front of all those.

Great news looking forward to hearing anything you have to say :) .. Would be great if you could throw in some basic unboxing pics too... please. :)

Edited by Rico_89

Guest shuete

I haven't ordered one myself so i havent had the problem, but i can confidently say that your fine, you can easily install google play store/google apps yourself.

All you need to do as far as i can see is to go onto the v5 forum, install the CWM posted there and then flash gapps. The problem i can see with this however is that the CWM version on the v5 forum will be in chinese

Therefore you can easily just download and install the play store apk. Simples

Also, guys is the G4 supposed to actually be in stock anywhere yet because i managed to stumble across here where it is in stock? Plus i think it seems like a good price (or am i wrong in saying that, i didnt do that much looking around tbh)

Edit: if you want to check guys, ive started adding prices to the spreadsheet that dakok made

Ok, i hope i get it soon..well it can take a very long time

thanks

Guest bryfly

Pleased for you ,,previously you said posted on 27th May , tried to deliver yesterday that's pretty good, was that with tracking ending in SE? ie from Sweden Post. + did it actual track at all?

Mine were posted 21st and 23rd no tracking and no phones yet, i'm still within their timescales, but getting really hacked off now.......... :angry: looks like a PayPal dispute could be on the horizon

Edited by bryfly

Guest Rico_89

Mine were posted 21st and 23rd no tracking and no phones yet, i'm still within their timescales, but getting really hacked off now.......... :angry: looks like a PayPal dispute could be on the horizon

I've ordered a few things off of eBay from China / Hong Kong and it always takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive, so I wouldn't panic too much right now.

Guest Colossae3.23

Hello everyone

i'm new to the forum but since i'll need some support i decided to join :)

i bought the verne v5 from merimobiles they already shipped my order and i just realized that is traceable via singapore post, because its says - dispatched to overseas with my country code ;)

But when i asked for root service and google play merimobiles said that i needed an sd card otherwise google play wouldn't work :huh:

i already own a class 10/16GB so i didn't want to order another one, but now i'm starting to feel like i should have ordered with google play already working, what do you think, anybody else experienced the same issue?

Shuete: Tillaz will be the guy to help you with that. Once you root the device and have a custom recovery installed; then Bob's your uncle. Then you can install gapps and any compatible rom that you want. If you didn't know this already; TWRP = Team Windows Recovery (Project?)

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest kaizoku_san

If you had made this offer before I ordered the v970 I would have definitely gone for it.... But at £60 I might still be interested in one of them :-)

Guest blaster99999

Picked phone up had 10 mïns looking at it as I'm at work and all I can say is wow, screen Is amazing so crisp and clear touch is very sensitive too, it is rooted and play store on it, recovery Is In chInese , camera pic is excellent and very fast no lag at all just hit the button and takes pics one after the next with no lag at all, no Chinese apps at all, gsm sIm Is full size and 3g data Sim is mini size, wow worth every penny of 120 quid just wow, can't see anyone being disappointed with what I've seen so far

Guest shuete

Shuete: Tillaz will be the guy to help you with that. Once you root the device and have a custom recovery installed; then Bob's your uncle. Then you can install gapps and any compatible rom that you want. If you didn't know this already; TWRP = Team Windows Recovery (Project?)

I've never rooted a device before,but i asked for root service, if i understood correctly i only need my sd card to install google play, but once the phone arrives i will take your advice and do all that :D ...with help

Guest shuete

Picked phone up had 10 mïns looking at it as I'm at work and all I can say is wow, screen Is amazing so crisp and clear touch is very sensitive too, it is rooted and play store on it, recovery Is In chInese , camera pic is excellent and very fast no lag at all just hit the button and takes pics one after the next with no lag at all, no Chinese apps at all, gsm sIm Is full size and 3g data Sim is mini size, wow worth every penny of 120 quid just wow, can't see anyone being disappointed with what I've seen so far

aww :wub:

Guest bryfly

Is this what's called rubbing it in...LOL..... :D still no post today :angry:

Edited by bryfly

Guest Sere83

Bonkers! Tell us more! Are the bezels comically large or not too bad?

Edited by Sere83

Guest Colossae3.23

I've never rooted a device before,but i asked for root service, if i understood correctly i only need my sd card to install google play, but once the phone arrives i will take your advice and do all that :D ...with help

good stuff. yeah stay tuned on this thread. Once a dev gets a hold of one of these, things will really kick off. There should be tutorials, for rooting, roms and recoveries etc. And to be honest most people on here are more than happy to help the newbies.

Guest arranhs

Sweet! Looks like your gonna be the first to get your mits on the goods. Look forward to hearing what you think.

for the head up, Fastcardtech is selling it for $230 which i thought was pretty reasonable :D

gsm sIm Is full size and 3g data Sim is mini size

Wait what? So if i want to use gsm and 3g on the same phonenumber/network, i have to get 2 sim cards? Does that work? Is it possible to put 2 sim cards with the same number in the same phone?

Edited by arranhs

Guest blaster99999

for the head up, Fastcardtech is selling it for $230 which i thought was pretty reasonable :D

Wait what? So if i want to use gsm and 3g on the same phonenumber/network, i have to get 2 sim cards? Does that work? Is it possible to put 2 sim cards with the same number in the same phone?

no its dual sim and like all dual sim phones you have slot 1 which picks up gsm and slot 2 which picks up gsm and data , so if you only have one sim you use slot 2 which as both just like a normal phone, if like me you have a work sim that goes into slot 1 which just picks up calls and texts with no data. Regarding bezel it tappers off to the front to about 6 mm and looks ok , power button and volume button work excellent with very light press, just installed my data sim which is on ovivo mobile and set apn up works a treat , set wifi up very fast connected to google play which is English with in a few seconds, just installed whatsapp and that's working fine , im still at the wow factor 10 so far, only slight downer is the screen protector that came with it is a bit naff, its like shaded will have to have a look to buy some but at the one provided is for the phone as it as all the holes and cut outs, also back is smooth which makes it a bit slippy , I prefer back to have some grip, need a case desperate. The phone reception is a lot better than the Huawei about on par with my zte v970 , the ring volume is lot louder than the g300 too , and I can confirm it as a notification led which im glad about.

Edited by blaster99999

Guest blaster99999

Is this what's called rubbing it in...LOL..... :D still no post today :angry:

sorry but did I say just how good the phone is wow, lol , when I was on chat to merrimobiles I think I ordered on 21st and was told it would ship on 27th , but it actually shipped on 24th, on tracking it still says its awaiting to go on plane in china lol, hope you get yours soon.