[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest deuse

You have to give them 4 worknig days to process it :P I was unlucky because i ordered on a friday and they dont work on the weekends so mine was shipped on thursday last week and it changed from Awaiting Fulfilment to shipped.

Hope that helps

Thanks dude ;) I can picture a small guy counting it out :). oh and to get $10 off use the words facebook.

Guest Rico_89

Thanks dude ;) I can picture a small guy counting it out :). oh and to get $10 off use the words facebook.

There's a minimum spend with that coupon code, so if it doesn't work try "VIP" 5% off, and if that doesn't work try "MOE" 4% off.

Guest Sere83

Yeah, I was more thinking about the Ascend D XL with the 2600 mAh battery. As you say, however, a 2000 mAh battery isn't too bad at all so that wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

However, I've just noticed that the 8225Q uses Cortex-A5 CPUs, not A7s (which the competing MediaTek chips use), as I initially thought. I realise that performance of a quad-core A5 ought to be decent enough, but, for single-threaded apps (i.e. many of them), it is likely to be as slower than my 2 year-old Atrix using the venerable Tegra 2. I have also seen some mentions of app compatibility problems with the Cortex-A5. The Adreno 203 GPU will also be considerably slower than the PowerVR GPU used in the MediaTek competitor so gaming may well be a problem at a 720p resolution.

Ultimately, I think the Cortex-A5s in the FAEA rule it out for me as an option, which is a pity because much of its other specification is ideal for my uses. The A5s are reportedly very low-power so the battery life ought to be OK, but I'd prefer the higher performance of an A7/A9 or even Krait.

Yeah I would stick to MT6589, in terms of raw processing power to price ratio it really can't be beaten. The only Krait device I know of from china with a relatively low price point was the Xiaomi but as you said that has been ruled out for other reasons.

To be honest 4.5 inch is a much rarer size than 4.7 or 5 inches. I know TCL and amoi and lenovo do a few at 4.5 but they all have QHD displays I believe. If you can stomach the extra 0.2 inches I think your best bet is the Jiayu G4 at 4.7 inches. It has very narrow bezels though so helps to keep the width down a touch, and while its not ultra slim its not stupidly bulky either.

The Ascend D XL is an option but not really in the same category given the price point and I dont think ther is a 4.2 buld available yet.

Edited by Sere83

Guest ChrisPNE

For those unsure about 5 inch phones, I too felt the same.

I don't have massive hands but you soon get used to handling the device.

I find it easy to type one handed with Swype.

Guest Maringer

think i would rather the Goophone x7 than the JiaYu G4

From that link posted, weight of the Goophone is stated as 215g which is really, really heavy for a phone. Think that could be an issue for somebody who likes to carry a phone in their pocket.

As Sere83 mentions, I'll perhaps have to up my sights to a 4.7" screen though I still think that this will perhaps be a bit larger than is ideal for me. I know a few 4.3" 720p screens are available but I'm not convinced that this would be enough of a step up from the 4" screen of my Atrix.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread, however, as it is quite surprising to see the sheer number of bespoke manufacturers which have sprung up in China. I suppose that, when you've got a billion people on your doorstep, with another billion next door in India, even a small fraction of the market could end up being very profitable!

Guest Rico_89

think i would rather the Goophone x7 than the JiaYu G4

I'm not sure about that Goophone. I had a look at it before and a 1080p screen with a score of under 12k would most likely give you a laggy experience, even with 2gb of ram. And the G4 has thin bezels but the trade off is one of the thickest phones out right now...and boy is it thick.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Colossae3.23

From that link posted, weight of the Goophone is stated as 215g which is really, really heavy for a phone. Think that could be an issue for somebody who likes to carry a phone in their pocket.

As Sere83 mentions, I'll perhaps have to up my sights to a 4.7" screen though I still think that this will perhaps be a bit larger than is ideal for me. I know a few 4.3" 720p screens are available but I'm not convinced that this would be enough of a step up from the 4" screen of my Atrix.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread, however, as it is quite surprising to see the sheer number of bespoke manufacturers which have sprung up in China. I suppose that, when you've got a billion people on your doorstep, with another billion next door in India, even a small fraction of the market could end up being very profitable!

yeah, I like my phone in the front pocket too, so 5" is pushing it a bit. Oppo was rumoured to come out with a Find 5 mini, but it was.... just a rumour :(

Nubia (ZTE's high end brand) is supposed to be coming out with a nice 4.7" screen phone: Nubia Z5 Mini. It's not dirt cheap though...

http://www.gizchina....z5-mini-rumour/

http://www.gizchina....-xiaomi-killer/

That antutu score looks amazing.

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest deuse

I think I'm going to get the wrong phone from merimobiles.

Had a email from them confirming they had the cash and my order was confirmed to.

So I logged in and NOPE had a chat with a guy named John(really) he said they have get there people to get one

then they have to check it for marks ect and it won't be posted till friday-monday wtf.

So I emailed them showing the convo of me and john were I asked if it was in stock and he said yes blah blah blah.

Nothing from them.so far.

I can understand if I am sending cash ect but they got my money in 1 hour. Just don't understand :(

If it don't get to me within 6 days(paid for DHL) I;m getting my bank to get the cash back and let them chase me.

Guest arranhs

I'm not sure about that Goophone. I had a look at it before and a 1080p screen with a score of under 12k would most likely give you a laggy experience, even with 2gb of ram. And the G4 has thin bezels but the trade off is one of the thickest phones out right now...and boy is it thick.

Well you says its thick, but its not any thicker than the g300 actually (ok maybe 1mm thicker) but that surley is not that thick

Edit: After a bit of searching the V5 has a thickness of 9.2 mm and the Jiayu G4 has a thickness of 10mm. That's only 0.8mm difference. Is that really thick?

Edited by arranhs

Guest Sere83

Well you says its thick, but its not any thicker than the g300 actually (ok maybe 1mm thicker) but that surley is not that thick

Edit: After a bit of searching the V5 has a thickness of 9.2 mm and the Jiayu G4 has a thickness of 10mm. That's only 0.8mm difference. Is that really thick?

Thing is once you get down to that level, a half Centimetre + does make a quite noticeable difference. My Xiaomi Mi One is about 1mm thicker than the G4 and sticking it next to the my v5 you can really see it. When you consider you can get sub 7mm phones nowadays 10mm+ does start to look bulky. It just depends how much you care about it, some people may prefer a larger battery. But after using the V5 I'm really enjoying the slimmer form factor.

Edited by Sere83

Guest Maringer

One thing I'd note is that using Antutu as the sole judge of how a phone will perform isn't necessarily the best idea. It's not a great benchmark and remember clearly how easy it has been to get variable results from multiple runs. I suppose it is at least ubiquitous and therefore relatively easy to find reported scores for a variety of phones to give some indication of performance.

GFXBench (formerly GLBenchmark) is very useful to compare performance of the GPUs and therefore likely future game performance if that is of interest to potential buyers. Just a pity that so few use it...

Edited by Maringer

Guest Colossae3.23

One thing I'd note is that using Antutu as the sole judge of how a phone will perform isn't necessarily the best idea. It's not a great benchmark and remember clearly how easy it has been to get variable results from multiple runs. I suppose it is at least ubiquitous and therefore relatively easy to find reported scores for a variety of phones to give some indication of performance.

GFXBench (formerly GLBenchmark) is very useful to compare performance of the GPUs and therefore likely future game performance if that is of interest to potential buyers. Just a pity that so few use it...

yeah, for sure, antutu is far from a precise benchmark. But 22,000+ ! It must imply some horsepower under the hood. ;) But then again it could be fake...

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest bryfly

Ordered a v5 too ;-)

I ordered another V5 too.. My brother got the one I was using so I had to ordered another one today.. :D Had a close look at the rest and although the K1 is a nice phone the V5 is thinner and has a few features I really like.

If we all ordered yesterday for free delivery, be interesting to compare notes as we get info from merimobiles about despatch and tracking, see how efficient they are.

Guest blaster99999

I think I'm going to get the wrong phone from merimobiles.

Had a email from them confirming they had the cash and my order was confirmed to.

So I logged in and NOPE had a chat with a guy named John(really) he said they have get there people to get one

then they have to check it for marks ect and it won't be posted till friday-monday wtf.

So I emailed them showing the convo of me and john were I asked if it was in stock and he said yes blah blah blah.

Nothing from them.so far.

I can understand if I am sending cash ect but they got my money in 1 hour. Just don't understand :(

If it don't get to me within 6 days(paid for DHL) I;m getting my bank to get the cash back and let them chase me.

chinese retailers cant always be believed , im sure when most say there phones are in stock they probablt mean in stock at there suppliers, also always pay with paypal , its far easier to get a refund almost straight away .

Guest Rico_89

Trust me at this level phones are sold on the difference of one millimetre and with good reason, so hell yeah it is thicker. Also the V5 like the UMI, Newman etc, are thinner on the edges. The V5 is 5mm at it's thinnest, curving in to its thickest area, where as the G4 is 1cm thick all the way around, so the surface area is a lot larger and can be seen with the naked eye and felt in the hand. But it's all down to preference and for a lot of people that won't matter. In fact I always thought the G4 was a little thick but it didn't really bother me that much but after having a go at something pretty thin, I would say it's now on the list of preferences for me. Not a show stopper but it would definitely be a huge consideration when buying a phone.

If we all ordered yesterday for free delivery, be interesting to compare notes as we get info from merimobiles about despatch and tracking, see how efficient they are.

Yeah free China post, so lets see how fast we all receive our phones. I'll keep you informed on the V5 thread.

Guest kieranswhite

Trust me at this level phones are sold on the difference of one millimetre and with good reason, so hell yeah it is thicker. Also the V5 like the UMI, Newman etc, are thinner on the edges. The V5 is 5mm at it's thinnest, curving in to its thickest area, where as the G4 is 1cm thick all the way around, so the surface area is a lot larger and can be seen with the naked eye and felt in the hand. But it's all down to preference and for a lot of people that won't matter. In fact I always thought the G4 was a little thick but it didn't really bother me that much but after having a go at something pretty thin, I would say it's now on the list of preferences for me. Not a show stopper but it would definitely be a huge consideration when buying a phone.

Yeah free China post, so lets see how fast we all receive our phones. I'll keep you informed on the V5 thread.

i ordered on the 14th and as far as i can see it still hasnt left china :(

Guest tillaz

I'm not sure about that Goophone. I had a look at it before and a 1080p screen with a score of under 12k would most likely give you a laggy experience, even with 2gb of ram.

nah, someone has started a thing off where people seem to think that MTK6589 can't handle a 1080p "display", which is silly for a few reasons.

but just by looking at the gaming video i posted you can clearly see it handles games the same as the 720p devices,

and even plays 1080p video fine on another video, the scores are a little lower because it runs a full 1080p rendering test on the GPU, unlike the 720p devices,

its like the china phones i got a while back... they are MTK6577 (dual core) with 720p display,

people where trying to say the same thing "MTK6577 cant handle 720p display and will lag" this is totaly not true

it scores around 5870... (non 720p where getting around 6000) similar difference on the MTK6589 with 1080p v 720p

just looking at videos on YouTube will show there is no lagy experience on the 1080p devices, i have watched a few now,

EDIT

also, the proper weight of the Goophone x7 is 154g,

http://www.gizchina....n-sale-for-250/

Guest bryfly

i ordered on the 14th and as far as i can see it still hasnt left china :(

I guess you have a tracking number so have you chased merimobiles on chat and asked them where it is?

Guest kieranswhite

I guess you have a tracking number so have you chased merimobiles on chat and asked them where it is?

Yeah it says its at the Beijing mail centre

Guest bryfly

Yeah it says its at the Beijing mail centre

I forget who, but somebody reported recently that his phone had arrived at his house, but tracking still showed it in China....

Guest kieranswhite

I forget who, but somebody reported recently that his phone had arrived at his house, but tracking still showed it in China....

Oh yeah I remember that. Hopefully it's the case for me :P by the way where is it supposed to go after Beijing ( I used the free postage option) ? Anyone know?

Guest blaster99999

my girlfriend keeps telling me she prefers a nice think one to a thin one which I thought was strange :D

Guest george109

The Faea F1 now has a benchmark video - its from the guy who also did the unboxking video:

Is that a good score??

Also, are there any custom ROMS for this, and are there any likely to be made?

Edited by george109