3468 replies to this topic

The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Devices:Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
My contract is due up at the end of this month and I was browsing around for a phone I can actually afford, and then I stumble onto a review here of a chinese phone. Now I've always had the expectation that Chinese knockoffs are either going to steal all your info, or break within a month. Is that not the case these days? Are Chinese phones really a valid alternative?

I'd love to get a phone that is actualy better than my current phone, is afforadable AND comes in a spiffy colour instead of just black or white, which seems possible with Chinese phones.

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
The Xiaocai X9 looks very nice.

It doesn't have a microSD card slot or MHL which is what I was really looking for but I'm still very tempted!

Just need to wait for it to come out and check it works OK and I might take a punt on one. At that price, why not?

Perhaps need to get myself an Android stick to use as a media player if I can't use a phone for the job!

apple2005

apple2005

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

My contract is due up at the end of this month and I was browsing around for a phone I can actually afford, and then I stumble onto a review here of a chinese phone. Now I've always had the expectation that Chinese knockoffs are either going to steal all your info, or break within a month. Is that not the case these days? Are Chinese phones really a valid alternative?

I'd love to get a phone that is actualy better than my current phone, is afforadable AND comes in a spiffy colour instead of just black or white, which seems possible with Chinese phones.

Some of the Chinese phones are better than the well known companies. For colours, you look at the tcl idol x phones. One of the best of Chinese phones. It is a subsidiary of well known alcatel company... Other makes are also good but not much colours according to your choice.

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Time & Space
  • Devices:Moto X
looks like bezel-less devices are not far away...
http://www.slashgear...-more-10281484/

Posted Image

looking forward to the nexus 5

The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, what I need is
Something better than my current Sony Xperia U
Needs to work on 3 network for 3g
ICS or JB
4.x inch screen
Play Store as stock
Preferably a blue back
For around £100. Could go a bit higher if I need to.

What phone do I want?

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_
Others here have a better knowledge of these phones but, the 5" HD Vowney V5 I ordered from Merimobiles is on another level to anything I have used previously, so I would say definitely go quad core as it will run apps super slick.

Here's one I was looking at, but I just wanted a bigger screen and an HD display as well I dont know if it has a front facing camera.; http://www.merimobil..._p/meri9016.htm

It's 4.5" so it's not small and I would guess that if you pay extra for Merimobiles to root and install google play store then you should be able to get it for around £105 to £110 with a coupon code like: MOE, FACEBOOK, five.

Now I'm not saying to get this one but just have a look and I'm sure others will suggest different phones as well.

Edited by Rico_89, 07 July 2013 - 10:01 AM.

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I don't really see the point of a phone with a screen of 4.5" plus which isn't at least 720p resolution so that Lenovo wouldn't be a good pick. Otherwise, it would be a pretty decent spec. Perhaps Lenovo will release a similar phone but with a 720p screen?

The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Others here have a better knowledge of these phones but, the 5" HD Vowney V5 I ordered from Merimobiles is on another level to anything I have used previously, so I would say definitely go quad core as it will run apps super slick.

Here's one I was looking at, but I just wanted a bigger screen and an HD display as well I dont know if it has a front facing camera.; http://www.merimobil..._p/meri9016.htm

It's 4.5" so it's not small and I would guess that if you pay extra for Merimobiles to root and install google play store then you should be able to get it for around £105 to £110 with a coupon code like: MOE, FACEBOOK, five.

Now I'm not saying to get this one but just have a look and I'm sure others will suggest different phones as well.

So far the Vowney V5 in blue is the one I've found that I like the most. It's just it being 5" worries me a little, it seems so big for a phone.

trashbat

trashbat

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
dakok, could you give an estimate of the release of the x9? 3 months/6 months?

I see that merimobiles have it on pre order for $299 and fastcardtech at $99

Jetpac

Jetpac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Ive been having a look through this thread and learned a lot... but what is the best phone for ~£100 delivered that is 900 band enabled for the UK?
Wife needs a new phone, no bigger than the samsung galaxy nexus.... saw the FAFE F1.. any mor info from anyone who has that?

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

I don't really see the point of a phone with a screen of 4.5" plus which isn't at least 720p resolution so that Lenovo wouldn't be a good pick. Otherwise, it would be a pretty decent spec. Perhaps Lenovo will release a similar phone but with a 720p screen?

You're probably right but I was thinking of the budget and I would sacrifice a lot for a quad core device, although I spent just over £117 for my v5 , so I guess its not that much more.

So far the Vowney V5 in blue is the one I've found that I like the most. It's just it being 5" worries me a little, it seems so big for a phone.

In terms of size, well check out this post I made a few pages back: http://www.modaco.co...60#entry2133475

And also have a look through the V5 forum: http://www.modaco.co.../744-vowney-v5/

Edited by Rico_89, 08 July 2013 - 07:54 AM.

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1 8297w

dakok, could you give an estimate of the release of the x9? 3 months/6 months? I see that merimobiles have it on pre order for $299 and fastcardtech at $99

I guess it should be out very soon. Xiaocai released g6 model just as they anounced it.
So I guess they are more reliable than UMI (x2) or Jiayu (g4).
Did you check Etotalk`s offer?

Ive been having a look through this thread and learned a lot... but what is the best phone for ~£100 delivered that is 900 band enabled for the UK?Wife needs a new phone, no bigger than the samsung galaxy nexus.... saw the FAFE F1.. any mor info from anyone who has that?

These are models that work at 900MHz on 3g:
ZTE v970
Umi X1
BW-MK511
Lenovo A789
ZT X315e
Haipai I9277
ZX-I9300
Xiaomi M2A
Xiaomi M1s
ZTE V970
ZTE V976s
ZTE V987
Meizu MX
Lenovo LePhone A789
Lenovo A820
Lenovo A830
Lenovo LePhone P700
HUAWEI U8836D
HUAWEI G525
Beidou Hot Pepper M1
YBeidou Hot Pepper LA-Q1
TCL P606
Maybe I made a mistake or two, but most of these are 900/2100MHz models

Btw, Faea F1 is a great phone :)

Edited by dakok, 08 July 2013 - 01:04 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

logo-telekineza.png 

Coolpad F1 software and stuff 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Btw, Faea F1 is a great phone :)

Don't be shy. Let us have a quick review... ;)

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
I don`t have it. Just reading a lot about it :D

Edited by dakok, 08 July 2013 - 03:17 PM.

logo-telekineza.png 

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I'm waiting for the Gizchina review which seems to be taking some time.

I'm tempted to try the F1 although it doesn't support MHL and won't be much faster than my current phone. I reckon I could use this for a while until something better comes along. For my media playback requirements, I'm thinking about buying a cheap Android stick. Another toy to play with. :)

I'm also interested in the Xiaocai X9 which looks pretty good as well.

JetKun

JetKun

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (OMC)
  • Twitter:@stephenfry
Just wasn't to chip in with a shopping experience from touch-us.com...
I ordered a jiayu g4 then decided, for various reasons, that I didn't want it anymore, asked for a refund, and they gave it within 10 minutes of me asking.. their customer service is much more personal Imo than merimobiles who seem to connect you to a different chat operator every time.

the Chinese phone market is booming at the moment-the vowney v5 was pretty much top of the range a month back, and now we have competitors like the I ocean x7 (£120?)...can't wait for the xiaocai and pity the faea f1 has such a tiny battery

The Alpha Gamer

The Alpha Gamer

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Just had a thought, do iPhone cases fit iPhone clones perfectly?

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
Finally!
After Coke OS, Lewa, Miui, MyUI, Lenovo OS and few other OSes,
ZTE v987 (the phone I`m still waiting to arrive from China)
got Baidu, my favorite rom, today:
http://bbs.anzhi.com...657590-1-1.html
Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by dakok, 10 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

logo-telekineza.png 

JetKun

JetKun

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (OMC)
  • Twitter:@stephenfry
------

Edited by JetKun, 11 July 2013 - 05:52 PM.

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Just had a thought, do iPhone cases fit iPhone clones perfectly?

If its by a good manufacturer, for example GooPhone, the measurements of the clone will probably be accurate meaning the cases will fit. You could always match the measurements of the clone iPhone and the real iPhone to check sizes.

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 Qualcomm & Huawei Ascend G300

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

Subscribe to my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thekyan31

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users