akarana

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300 ics

I'd rather a Jaiyu G3 than a 510.

At first blush the Jiayu G3 looks much better value for $ than Huawei G510, but
what bands does it do 3G/UMTS/WCDMA? Every review I read has different numbers.
It matters to me, and if there are different models for different markets it's really buyer beware...

kieranswhite

kieranswhite

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Acend g300
  • Twitter:@@kieran9969
Looking for a phone with a big battery http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7761.htm

Its a preorder link

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Devices:Newman K1a
is it must the mediatek chips that have gps probs and is it something that coould be recitfied manually

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300, Vowney V5.
  • Twitter:@Rico_89_

Looking for a phone with a big battery http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7761.htm

Its a preorder link

Holy crap that is a big battery. And did you notice how it looks almost identical to iOcean 7.

is it must the mediatek chips that have gps probs and is it something that coould be recitfied manually

What you should do is find a forum where you can ask those that have bought the phone you are interested in, if the phones gps is working well and if it supports your network in your country.

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
are there any other discussion forums on buying chinese mobes

JetKun

JetKun

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (OMC)
  • Twitter:@stephenfry

are there any other discussion forums on buying chinese mobes

Keep this topic alive, and we might just see lol

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
just found this article on gizmochina website suggesting steps to follow to enhance "time to first fix"
i cantseem to paste links via my tab2 so youll have to google it.

how to set up gps on MTK phone

maybe the vowney owners can check it out

mm

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
Hey what happened to dakok? He must be so busy playing with his new phone he has forgot about us lol :D

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1 8297w
Cheers!
Vacations, family troubles and slow post office.
I`m lurking anyway :D

Here`s an update:
http://ips.posta.hr/IPSWeb_item_events.asp?itemid=RF149647265SG&Submit=Submit

I didn`t ecsape from tax :angry:
Invoice sent to post office, now I`m waiting for my package.

Discussion on domestic china phone forum brought few attractive
phones:

Xiaocai x9 (1.5GHz, 2Gb phone - for little bit over $200)
THL W11 Monkey King - great specs, too; price a bit higher
It seems that [email protected] is becoming a standard ~$200 buy....

ZTE v987 (phone I got and wait) went down $20, just few days after I bought it at Hotmid.
Damn.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

logo-telekineza.png 

Coolpad F1 software and stuff 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rico_89

Rico_89

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Cheers!
Vacations, family troubles and slow post office.
I`m lurking anyway :D

Here`s an update:

http://ips.posta.hr/IPSWeb_item_events.asp?itemid=RF149647265SG&Submit=Submit

I didn`t ecsape from tax :angry:
Invoice sent to post office, now I`m waiting for my package.

Discussion on domestic china phone forum brought few attractive
phones:

Xiaocai x9 (1.5GHz, 2Gb phone - for little bit over $200)
THL W11 Monkey King - great specs, too; price a bit higher
It seems that [email protected] is becoming a standard ~$200 buy....

ZTE v987 (phone I got and wait) went down $20, just few days after I bought it at Hotmid.
Damn.

Bad luck with the tax.. Wasn't free China post an option? Anyway even with the added tax these phones are still a great deal.

Edited by Rico_89, 22 July 2013 - 05:47 PM.

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well, my FAEA F1 has just arrived. I ordered directly from FAEA last Sunday using the $5 option for the registered HK Post airmail service and I think 9 days delivery (I'm based in the UK) is pretty decent.

The customs label stated value as $15 so, fingers-crossed, it looks as though I've managed to avoid any import duty!

First impressions are of a very solidly-built phone. It's going to replace my Atrix which is kept within a small hard case and the dimensions work out pretty well - it's thinner than the Atrix, about the same width and just 1cm taller. Not at all bad considering it packs a much larger, HD screen.

I'm at work so haven't had chance to play with the FAEA much as yet. I put in an Ovivo SIM and have set that up easily enough but I'll be looking to transfer my main Giffgaff SIM and data across from the Atrix during the next couple of days as well.

Very impressed so far, especially when you consider it cost me less than £110!

yaqh

yaqh

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Devices:huawei

Well, my FAEA F1 has just arrived. I ordered directly from FAEA last Sunday using the $5 option for the registered HK Post airmail service and I think 9 days delivery (I'm based in the UK) is pretty decent.

The customs label stated value as $15 so, fingers-crossed, it looks as though I've managed to avoid any import duty!

First impressions are of a very solidly-built phone. It's going to replace my Atrix which is kept within a small hard case and the dimensions work out pretty well - it's thinner than the Atrix, about the same width and just 1cm taller. Not at all bad considering it packs a much larger, HD screen.

I'm at work so haven't had chance to play with the FAEA much as yet. I put in an Ovivo SIM and have set that up easily enough but I'll be looking to transfer my main Giffgaff SIM and data across from the Atrix during the next couple of days as well.

Very impressed so far, especially when you consider it cost me less than £110!

nice, let us know how you get on with it, please post review, main thing is gps as china phones have issues with this, nice size and look good.

Northstandhero

Northstandhero

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
Is the general consensus that the Vowney/Verne V5 is still the best sub $200 Chinese handset or is there something else out there in this price bracket?

JetKun

JetKun

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (OMC)
  • Twitter:@stephenfry

nice, let us know how you get on with it, please post review, main thing is gps as china phones have issues with this, nice size and look good.

faea f1 runs Qualcomm soc, gps should be fine
Vowney v5 mired in problems, there are many better phones out there now, but it does have an active community here

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
An initial browse of the FAEA forum seems to indicate that there might be a bug with GPS on the F1 at the moment. Apparently, GPS drops connection as soon as you leave an app or if the screen switches off. Not ideal. Not sure if this is the case or not as yet. I'll investigate during the next few days.

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
What is it with these Chinese phones and GPS. It's not bloody rocket science, My Nexus 7 locks within a few seconds even inside my house. Really annoying as the V5 is a nice phone but crippled by the fact that GPS esentially doesn't work. Kind of pissed as well as i'd like to sell it on but not sure who would buy with such a big issue. Will be interested to see how MIUI handles GPS on these mediatek phones when it is released

Edited by Sere83, 23 July 2013 - 09:48 PM.

akarana

akarana

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300 ics

What is it with these Chinese phones and GPS.

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/23/how-to-fix-poor-gps-on-mediatek-phones/

Nope, I haven't tried it

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Most of the Mediatek phones around reputedly don't bother with much of an antenna, even though the chips themselves support all the necessary standards. Hence the issues.

Not had the chance to play around with my FAEA yet but I'll report on the GPS performance of this later. Some people indicate it locks on quickly (as you'd expect from a Qualcomm chip) but I've seen others report that the GPS lock drops when the screen is off. If this is the case, it sounds like a software bug to me. I'll see what GPS does later on.

Maringer

Maringer

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I've just had a quick fiddle around with my FAEA F1 and there does appear to be some problem with GPS at present. Specifically, the phone locks onto 5 or 6 satellites quickly (testing using GPS Test), but GPS lock itself is not found for some time. Not quite sure what is happening there to tell the truth. In Maps, the notification bar often flickers when attempting to get a lock. I've used FasterFix to change my GPS pool which should help, but no real joy as yet.

I see that another ROM is available on the FAEA forum so I'll update to that when I get the chance. Not sure if it is any different to the one already installed on the phone, however.

A chinese CWM for the F1 appears to be available but I'm not installing that! Too risky. Hopefully, somebody will be able to create an English version of CWM to install in due course.

Any GPS lock does drop entirely when the screen of the phone switches off so some work obviously needs to be done on the software by FAEA.

uchihas

uchihas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:MLais MX58 PRO
I just got a MLais MX58 PRO 2 days ago, 200€ with accesories (phone itself cost 160€, joint buy). GPS Works great:

Wi-Fi + GPS

Posted Image

GPS Alone:

Posted Image

You can see my unboxing here (it is in spanish);

Edited by uchihas, 24 July 2013 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users