wifi hotspot wont work with nexus 7

Guest Hatter71

Guest andybarker

I've used a Galaxy S2 hotspot with my Nexus 7 fine. Used both the WiFi one, and the bluetooth one without any troubles. Doesn't help you as such, but you know it CAN work OK.

Have you allowed the updates to be applied so you are on 4.2.1?

Guest Hatter71

Have managed to connect via Bluetooth and an app which is a workaround so not so bad now. However I would like to just enable the WiFi hotspot on my phone and connect easily like I used to.

Guest andybarker

Have you had the hotspot work with any other devices? Is the issue with the phone's hotspot, or the Nexus connecting to it?

Some phone companies block the use of the hotspot facility.

Guest Hatter71

I can get WiFi on my nexus through my sky broadband so its connecting to that wireless WiFi OK but it just won't connect to my HD desire phone. Have used the hotspot facility on that with other devices without a problem. So all a bit strange and frustrating.

Guest rootbrain
I can get WiFi on my nexus through my sky broadband so its connecting to that wireless WiFi OK but it just won't connect to my HD desire phone. Have used the hotspot facility on that with other devices without a problem. So all a bit strange and frustrating.

There are issues with ad-hoc vs. enterprise networks. Some mobile devices hotspots are ad-hoc, you need to get an app that can make you hotspot an enterprise WiFi connection.

I would use wifitether or opengarden and see if they support your device (they support a lot!) I use 'hostapd(master)' on my droid 3 in options-setuIp method and I can connect to my n7

• 4 weeks later...

Having an issue with a WiFi hotspot with my nexus too, although I feel its the hotspot that's the problem, not the nexus.

When I activate my phone (zte blade running Swedish snow ROM) as a hotspot' my nexus will connect but then disconnect after 30secs, then connect, then disconnect and so on....

When the wife activates her phone (zte blade running fish'n'chips' ROM) as a hotspot, perfect stable connection is established with my nexus!

I'm sure it's a ROM flaw on the phone, but as to what....I don't know!

Kind regards

Simon

• 1 month later...

I have had issues with hotspot in the past on different ROMs so I keep Barnacle WiFi Tether handy. I bought the widget too because it is pretty cool (and I'm all for rewarding the dev). I haven't had to use it in a while but it is definitely easy to set up and with the widget, it has one-click activation / de-activation too.