• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

freebiestuff

freebiestuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco/Diego
Been getting a popup for Newsblocks today when googling straight to the San Diego forum, looks highly dubious.

simhal

simhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S2, Nexus 7
Hi Paul,

Just got a warning that something on this site contains the following malware:

http://www.microsoft...atid=2147657386

It was on the Nexus 7 Jr13 thread, page 38 - something created a popup ad.

S

Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
I just got some dodgy looking popups in the Nexus 4 forum. First one was some adverts that I closed (didn't pay much attention to what it was) followed by one of those fake "we have detected a virus on your pc, click here to install something far worse" type things. Firefox slowed to a crawl and I had to close it in Task Manager.

edit: The first popup was something called "Newsblocks" or some such.

Edited by Hans Gruber, 15 January 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

I just got some dodgy looking popups in the Nexus 4 forum. First one was some adverts that I closed (didn't pay much attention to what it was) followed by one of those fake "we have detected a virus on your pc, click here to install something far worse" type things. Firefox slowed to a crawl and I had to close it in Task Manager.

edit: The first popup was something called "Newsblocks" or some such.

Just to add to my last past. I'm not 100% that the second pop-up came from this site. So possibly not an issue, it might just have been a coincidence that it popped up straight after the Newsblock ad and came from somewhere else. I've not seen it since.

maniac_mouse

maniac_mouse

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Note 2, Tab3 10.1
I just got a popup for a poker site, clicked the close icon and it tried to download a file called test.pdf from a really dodgy looking url (sorry i didnt note the url down).
This was on the modaco tapatalk app page linked from the frontpage news item.
Refreshing the page didnt make it reappear.

Edited by maniac_mouse, 19 January 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Device History: Samsung Tocco Lite (retired) , Blackberry Storm 2 (retired), Zte Blade (sold), Htc Desire (retired), Samsung Galaxy Note (retired), Kindle Fire HD 7` (retired), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (current), Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1' (current)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
I'm currently investigating this - it looks like a popup being inserted by a rogue ad from one of our advertisers.

If anyone sees this, please try and save the source from the page to help me track it down!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

krishang3

krishang3

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:lots

I'm currently investigating this - it looks like a popup being inserted by a rogue ad from one of our advertisers.

If anyone sees this, please try and save the source from the page to help me track it down!

P

thanks... the next time I see it.. I'll look out for the ad.. I usually get it on the poker thing..

Edited by krishang3, 22 January 2013 - 11:24 AM.

Thanks, If I helped in anyway don't forget to rep me :)

maniac_mouse

maniac_mouse

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
Just got this again, its a popup for a site called titanpoker. com. When you click the black close icon it tries to download a 5.5kb pdf file called test.pdf.
The source of the pdf is http://iuwhh.portrelay. com

Im afraid i didnt download the pdf or get the page source this time, il try and get it next time if it happens again.

Edited by maniac_mouse, 22 January 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Device History: Samsung Tocco Lite (retired) , Blackberry Storm 2 (retired), Zte Blade (sold), Htc Desire (retired), Samsung Galaxy Note (retired), Kindle Fire HD 7` (retired), Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (current), Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1' (current)

maniac_mouse

maniac_mouse

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
@paul, i got the same popup again and managed to save the page source, where would you like me to upload it to?

Looking through the source, the offending popup is contained in the file blog_public_blog.htm

Edited by maniac_mouse, 23 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
I've re-uploaded all the code and rebuilt all the templates just now, hopefully we've seen the back of this!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users