Greetings

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Devices:Haier W910, Coolpad F1 8297W
I probably should have asked this question in this thread rather than the CM10.1 thread - anybody know the answer? Thanks:

Hopefully not a dumb question and I have browsed/searched but have not found the answer...

Is it OK/safe to use TWRP rather than CWM to install CM10.1?

http://www.modaco.co...u8818-30012013/

Thanks.

Kra1o5

Kra1o5

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Devices:Xiaomi Redmi 1S

I probably should have asked this question in this thread rather than the CM10.1 thread - anybody know the answer? Thanks:

Yes, not problem with CM & TWRP.

Greetings

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
Thanks a lot. :)

Edit: installed TWRP 2.4.0.0 via gooManager and then used it to wipe and install CM10.1 + gapps + link2int and it all seems to have gone well. :)

Edited by dalyer, 31 January 2013 - 12:03 AM.

alkalinorap

alkalinorap

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
31/01/2013: Updated to version 2.4.0.0
Changelog in the first post.

Fikret488

Fikret488

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Web Desigen, and animation
  • Devices:Huawei g300
  • Twitter:@notwitter
Good work

Hkarta

Hkarta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend g300
Random reboots still present - once during backup (worked like charm second time) and once during recovery (failed at data). Again, worked like charm second time.
I would really like to see this fixed; just installed this recovery (was using cwm touch hybrid before) and i really like it - but this problem is a huge drawback.

Cannot seem to find any crashlog on sdcard - anyway, dont think it would have time to make one, as it suddenly goes - like BAM - black screen and reboot.. ;)

edit: it might be worth mentioning that i was backing up CM 10.1 R1 only two days after complete wipe & flash (using mentioned cwm). Only gapps flashed and like 3 other apps (one being internet banking, second SimCity Deluxe and third GooManager - which i used to install this recovery). Not even google maps & similiar stuff installed yet.

edit2: Oh, and on the first backup, i was using compression option. Second time, i ticked it as well, but at top of that i also disabled md5 checksum (as it crashed during that step). On restore, i, of course, worked with this backup so settings were set accordingly (ignore md5).

Edited by Hkarta, 01 February 2013 - 04:31 AM.

Kra1o5

Kra1o5

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Random reboots still present - once during backup (worked like charm second time) and once during recovery (failed at data). Again, worked like charm second time.
I would really like to see this fixed; just installed this recovery (was using cwm touch hybrid before) and i really like it - but this problem is a huge drawback.

Cannot seem to find any crashlog on sdcard - anyway, dont think it would have time to make one, as it suddenly goes - like BAM - black screen and reboot.. ;)

edit: it might be worth mentioning that i was backing up CM 10.1 R1 only two days after complete wipe & flash (using mentioned cwm). Only gapps flashed and like 3 other apps (one being internet banking, second SimCity Deluxe and third GooManager - which i used to install this recovery). Not even google maps & similiar stuff installed yet.

edit2: Oh, and on the first backup, i was using compression option. Second time, i ticked it as well, but at top of that i also disabled md5 checksum (as it crashed during that step). On restore, i, of course, worked with this backup so settings were set accordingly (ignore md5).

Yes the md5 check is know bug & is fixed in the next version & minor bugs fixes.

Greetings

Edited by Kra1o5, 01 February 2013 - 01:12 PM.

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
Looking at the screenshots, TWRP seems to be really good. It has a nice GUI, and it seems to have quite a few features. I'm gonna give this a go, and see if I like it :)

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 Qualcomm & Huawei Ascend G300

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

Subscribe to my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thekyan31

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
I got a reboot when backing up in compressed mode :(

However, the normal backup works fine :)

The recovery overall is fantastic, its such an improvement over CWM. Its a shame it doesn't have the same stability, but I have only encountered this one bug so I'm good. Thanks for this wonderful recovery.

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
Wow, I managed to do a full uncompressed backup in 164 seconds. CWM usually takes almost 5 minutes.

Cyda

Cyda

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 & 7 running PAC

I got a reboot when backing up in compressed mode :(

However, the normal backup works fine :)

The recovery overall is fantastic, its such an improvement over CWM. Its a shame it doesn't have the same stability, but I have only encountered this one bug so I'm good. Thanks for this wonderful recovery.

I get the reboot every time when trying to do a compressed backup but the uncompressed has been fine. Plus as you say, the uncompressed backup option is seriously fast.

dakok

dakok

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1 8297w
Good to see you back, Cyda :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

logo-telekineza.png 

Coolpad F1 software and stuff 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kra1o5

Kra1o5

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I Try to fix this reboot when backup compressed.

EDIT: Random Reboots with compressed backups & md5 check problem is now fixed in TWRP 2.4.1.0 (Thanks Dees_Troy)

Edited by Kra1o5, 01 February 2013 - 08:54 PM.

dalyer

dalyer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
Online Nandroid Backup might also be an alternative for some people - it can do CWM5, CWM6 and TWRP compatible backups.

https://play.google....r3t1c.onnandbup

wouterbeer

wouterbeer

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Devices:G300
DId anyone try an OTA update with CM9/10/10.1 using TWRP? Is it working?

Hkarta

Hkarta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Updated using that app from market; for some reason i had to do this twice, as it stayed on 2.4.0.0 the first time i tried. Second time it updated successfuly. Just made a compressed backup with md5 without crash, so it seems to be working. Thanks for that update.

edit: Getting crashes when i try to restore that backup i made (both with and without md5 verification).

Had to flash clean CM10.1, so i guess this needs another hotfix. Thats even worse bug than that in last version - which after few crashes at least flashed it correctly.

Edited by Hkarta, 02 February 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Kra1o5

Kra1o5

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

DId anyone try an OTA update with CM9/10/10.1 using TWRP? Is it working?

Yes, works fine.

Updated using that app from market; for some reason i had to do this twice, as it stayed on 2.4.0.0 the first time i tried. Second time it updated successfuly. Just made a compressed backup with md5 without crash, so it seems to be working. Thanks for that update.

edit: Getting crashes when i try to restore that backup i made (both with and without md5 verification).

Had to flash clean CM10.1, so i guess this needs another hotfix. Thats even worse bug than that in last version - which after few crashes at least flashed it correctly.

Ok, I try to fix this bug.

The error is all the time? or is a random crash?

Try to make backup with clean install.

Greetings

Hkarta

Hkarta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Well, the first backup itself is nearly clean, except for the 3 apps i mentioned in my previous report. When it comes to backup restore - it crashed 3 times in row, like second after it started. Than I gave up and flashed clean cm 10.1 :)
I might try with completely clean rom later today, but i expect to get the same result. :)

edit: Not sure if i i put it correctly in my prevois post: i have tried to restore only backup with compression and md5. When restoring, theres as well check for md5 verification - and it crashed both with this ticked & unticked. I have yet to try to restore compressed backup made with md5 unticked. I might as well try this later today (to see if this isnt just md5 related, because first step in recovery process should logicaly be md5 verification - and it crashes as soon as recovery process is launched).

Edited by Hkarta, 02 February 2013 - 03:30 PM.

Kra1o5

Kra1o5

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Well, the first backup itself is nearly clean, except for the 3 apps i mentioned in my previous report. When it comes to backup restore - it crashed 3 times in row, like second after it started. Than I gave up and flashed clean cm 10.1 :)
I might try with completely clean rom later today, but i expect to get the same result. :)

edit: Not sure if i i put it correctly in my prevois post: i have tried to restore only backup with compression and md5. When restoring, theres as well check for md5 verification - and it crashed both with this ticked & unticked. I have yet to try to restore compressed backup made with md5 unticked. I might as well try this later today (to see if this isnt just md5 related, because first step in recovery process should logicaly be md5 verification - and it crashes as soon as recovery process is launched).

I try to figure out this issue with compressed backups.

Edited by Kra1o5, 02 February 2013 - 04:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users