[Q] So xolo or orange?

Guest Pondlife

Guest Simon O

Xolo = Stock ICS plus some extra apps which can be removed with root

Orange = Themed ICS (bright orange everywhere) along with changes to the lock screen and a Orange launcher. Needs a lot of work to get back to stock.

I use the Xolo ICS with the 3 or 4 Xolo apps removed, Google apps updated, Chrome pre-installed and Calendar replaced with the Google version so it can get updates from the Play Store. Now my phone is pretty much stock and I like it that way :D

Guest BlueMoonRising

Xolo = Stock ICS plus some extra apps which can be removed with root

Orange = Themed ICS (bright orange everywhere) along with changes to the lock screen and a Orange launcher. Needs a lot of work to get back to stock.

I use the Xolo ICS with the 3 or 4 Xolo apps removed, Google apps updated, Chrome pre-installed and Calendar replaced with the Google version so it can get updates from the Play Store. Now my phone is pretty much stock and I like it that way :D

Are the Google apps and Calendar not updated anyway?

Guest Simon O

Google apps are updated but they are placed onto /data. The Calendar app doesn't update with the market version as it's not the Google calendar but the AOSP one.. so I replaced it. I just like having system apps on the /system partition and leaving /data for stuff I download myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gbjbasdw

I am an absolute novice when it comes to smart phones but have 30 years in IT.

I'm toying with the idea of getting an Orange San Diego phone because they are going for £99 at the moment and look to be excellent value for money given the processor and camera (8MP) and HD video recording capability.

Am I right in assuming that I can use the Xolo X900 firmware download to update the phone via USB ? Will this effectively overwrite the whole of the Orange software like doing an operating system install on a PC ?

Where is the bast place to get the Xolo ICS firmware - Xolo.in website ?

You say above "I use the Xolo ICS with the 3 or 4 Xolo apps removed, Google apps updated" Can you just delete the Xolo apps with Android drag/drop ?

Sorry if these are daft questions but we all have to start somewhere !

Thanks in advance

Steve

Guest Simon O

If you've installed the Xolo ROM from the xolo.in website, and you've obtained root using the AIO-tool from the forum, then you can use an application like Root Explorer from the Play Store to remove unwanted system applications.

However if you wait a few days, the AIO-tool will be updated to provide an option to remove all the bundled applications from the Xolo ROM so you end up with a close-to-stock ROM. I run my phone like this now and the difference is quite noticeable. Better battery life for example since I don't have the silly Xolo updater or the SocialGallery running and eating up my battery.

There isn't a way to drag and delete system apps from your device that I'm aware of.

Guest gbjbasdw

Firstly, thanks for the quick reply.

How do I setup my account so I get notification when someone replies on this topic please ?

I saw the AIO tool earlier today but I'm unsure what "obtaining root" means - can you explain please. I guess it is something like the root superuser id in Unix/Linux ?

If I do buy one of these phones maybe you could advise which AIO tool options I would need to run and in which order.

The unlocking problem is holding me back from buying as I would ideally like to use the phone in Tenerife with my Spanish Vodaphone PAYG sim as well as my Orange UK SIM. Any ideas on a workaround ?

Thanks again

Guest Pondlife

Follow this topic button near the top of the page.

Yep pretty much.

Depends what you wanted to use on it. Hard to say which options until it's updated.

No workaround unfortunately, need to wait three months and then pay orange the money. :(