Bad GPS on ICS

Guest mr.a

Hi,

I bought an Orang San Francisco recently. It was loaded with Gingerbread.

Today I updated it to the Orange ICS through the OTA feature of the phone.

I then installed XOLO ICS on top of this using the all-in-one tool.

The rom is great and I have it rooted and everything

However the GPS is really bad. The GPS test app can "view" many satellites, sometimes more than 10 at once but it cannot lock onto any satellites.

It sometimes managed to get around 4 or 5 satellites in use but still no GPS lock is achieved.

I have also tried to test GPS in google maps app, but it too cannot lock onto a position.

Have I made a mistake in installing ICS or is there some other problem?

PS screenshot shows the scenario.

post-679807-0-89055900-1356293805_thumb.

Edited by mr.a

Guest mickael

I have buy Orange San Diego and come with ICS Orange . I upgrade to Xolo ICS and ROOT , i never test before GPS but i'm agree with you the fix is long .

I don't test to edit gps.conf in /SYSTEM/etc and use this thread for help you : http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=996355

You can use if you don't go in other country the SERVER from your country like me for France :

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

SUPL_PORT=7276

NTP_SERVER=0.fr.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=1.fr.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=2.fr.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=3.fr.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

I don't test for the moment i just edit so see tomorrow or tonight .

Edited by mickael

I have buy Orange San Diego and come with ICS Orange . I upgrade to Xolo ICS and ROOT , i never test before GPS but i'm agree with you the fix is long .

I don't test to edit gps.conf in /SYSTEM/etc and use this thread for help you : http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=996355

You can use if you don't go in other country the SERVER from your country like me for France :

SUPL_PORT=7276

NTP_SERVER=0.fr.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=1.fr.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=2.fr.pool.ntp.org

NTP_SERVER=3.fr.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

I don't test for the moment i just edit so see tomorrow or tonight .

I actually treid using Fasterfix app (it does the same thing which you have mentioned) but it does not improve anything.

Does anyone know how to get back to Orange ICS or even Orang GB rom. The orange rom in the all-in-one tool post fails to flash every time???

Guest Simon O

Settings > Location services > Make sure Google's Location Service and GPS Satellites are checked. This will give you a much faster fix using cell towers first before the phone connects to satellites for better accuracy but for in-car navigation it won't cause any problems.

Guest Simon O

I tried GPS this morning and I was able to get a fix onto satellites fine near a window (as expected). GPS doesn't work well indoors btw.

One thing I did notice is the GPS system on the phone seems to be different from others as the gps configuration file is quite different. So far I haven't managed to find where to set the timeserver or xtra servers. GPS toolbox was no help with regards to that.

Guest Roger Barnett

I have experienced this problem too; I'm out in Geneva for NYE and I didn't get round to setting up roaming with orange beforehand, so I'm just using the phone for wifi and gps. This morning went for a walk out and about, had google maps up with 'use gps satellites' checked and it took over 15mins to lock on my position, by which time I had found my destination using the map as a map! I had previously had my position picked up in geneva yesterday so it was not a matter of the phone not 'knowing' it's approximate location. I have xolo Ics without root.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mickael

Hello

I just try lot some GPS software and see different time to fix .

Oruxmap with i don't remember the tools that the software installe for verify GPS statut but for me NO FIX

With GPSTest Fix long to come

With Sigyc Fix long to come

With Copilote live v9 fix is less than 10 second

Edit : with Copilot i don't see but i have Wifi connection and the software say download NMEA information

For me there have a big probleme with drivers / software on x86 device and probably brock my GPS the first time i can't fix and after install a new Xolo ICS clean GPS work .

Edited by mickael

I notice from the screenshot in the OP that there is a wifi connection but no mobile network / SIM in the phone.

I was having the same problem until I put an working Orange SIM in the phone with data connection, then the GPS was able to get a fix in under 10 seconds. Without the SIM it will sit forever with 11 satellites locked but it will never get a position fix.

Guest demoded

Its strange because I was greatly surprised how San Diego quickly find and fix to satelites without any internet connection. I never hadn't inserted sim into it since i am located in Russia. But comparing with my HTC Desire, which couldn't fix to sappelites on my window and see only 3 sattelites, San Diego get ready at 3-5 minutes with 9 sattelites in view and fixed on 3 of them. Here a picture of it

http://i.minus.com/ifyBhHHZZO8FX.jpg

Look up assisted gps...

I've used up my data quota this month, so my mobile data is off. Tried to get gps whilst driving the other day and it simply never got a lock. Girlfriend tried all the gps enabled apps I had installed (Including one I wrote), still no lock.

Went to a local weatherspoons when I eventually got home, signed into their free wifi, got a signal within *seconds*, despite being indoors , walked outside, solid signal, no worries, even after loosing wifi signal.

So yeah, assisted gps seems to be a requirement for me at least...

Just to drive the point home...

My Internet quota has reset today, so it's back on. Just tested gps, noted some 3g traffic as it locked, got the lock in about 20 seconds, and I'm indoors.

• 4 months later...
Guest guyh1

Hello fellow San Diego users

I've managed to thoroughly screw up the GPS on my rooted XOLO ICS-flashed san diego and having gone through the business of setting up the phone the exact way I wanted it a few months ago I'd like to try and fix this without re-flashing if someone would be able to lend a hand?

GPS was fine up until I installed something called 'Secure Settings' - this is an add-on to Tasker that allows you to control the GPS switch automatically on ICS (yep, pressing the GPS button when I loaded Maps was just too much effort for me...) - anyway I suspect what this has done is mess up the gps.conf file as I now understand the San Diego GPS is set up differently to most phones. The result is that I now can't connect to GPS at all. I've tried to reverse the change via Secure Settings but it hasn't made any difference. My GPS.conf file is now as follows:

START_MODE=16

TCXO_FREQUENCY=26000000

FIX_FREQ=1

NUM_OF_FIX=0

VERT_ACCURACY=240

HOR_ACCURACY=240

RESPONSE_TIME=240

IS_MSA=1

IS_MSB=1

IS_AUTO=1

IS_ECID=0

PREFERRED_METHOD=1

IS_COST=1

ACC_PRIORITY=0

AGNSS_IS_SECURE=1

SUPL_PORT=7275

CERT_FILE_NAME=/etc/supl_google_com_cert.txt

SLL_TEXT_LOG=

SLL_RAW_LOG=

AGPS_LOG=

LOGGING_ON=0

SUPPORT_SUPL10=1

SUPPORT_SUPL20=0

I was wondering if someone would be able to post their working GPS.conf file so that I can change it back and avoid the hassle of re-flashing? (at least I *hope* it's just the GPS.conf file i've messed up!)

Also now seems as good a time as any to thank everyone for the work they've been doing on this forum which has really improved the effectiveness of my phone!

Edited by guyh1

Guest BlueMoonRising

This is mine :-

START_MODE=16

TCXO_FREQUENCY=26000000

FIX_FREQ=1

NUM_OF_FIX=0

VERT_ACCURACY=240

HOR_ACCURACY=240

RESPONSE_TIME=240

IS_MSA=1

IS_MSB=1

IS_AUTO=1

IS_ECID=0

PREFERRED_METHOD=1

IS_COST=1

ACC_PRIORITY=0

AGNSS_IS_SECURE=1

SUPL_PORT=7275

CERT_FILE_NAME=/etc/supl_google_com_cert.txt

SLL_TEXT_LOG=

SLL_RAW_LOG=

AGPS_LOG=

LOGGING_ON=0

SUPPORT_SUPL10=1

SUPPORT_SUPL20=0

The bad news is that it looks to be exactly the same. Have you tried deleting 'Secure Settings'?

Guest guyh1

:( thanks BlueMoonRising

I did try deleting it - no luck.

Next step I guess is to try and find out what the app actually modifies. Oh dear

edit: word to the wise - don't install Secure Settings on the OSD

Edited by guyh1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xgt001

Hi

The Gps has vastly improved in the latest update. I get a lock within 15 seconds. The new update even shows number of satellites locked

Guest guyh1

Just wanted to echo the above - since updating (after a bit of difficulties in between) I have gone from no GPS to GPS within 15-30 seconds.