Photo

Applications that can be safely disabled and/or deleted from 10.7GB space without rooting?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

DaveSimonH

DaveSimonH

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
So I don't feel confident in rooting the phone yet, at least under warranty, but I was wanting to get as much space cleared from the 10.7GB partition "USB storage".
Any tips on how to safely trim some of the bloat without root access? By the way, my OSD is running 4.0.4

Once the 1yr standard warranty is up I'll probably root it, and add in a 16GB or 32GB microSD card.
I couldn't resist having a look under the back cover though, bloody tricky getting in there. Initially I was trying to coax it at the sim card gap, but eventually got it started at the top of the phone at the headphone jack.

Or am I being too cautious, should I root phone now rather than wait?

Edited by DaveSimonH, 05 January 2013 - 03:40 PM.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF
You can't remove any of the system apps without rooting. The most space you'll get is by flashing Xolo ICS (I think) but it's not a huge amount and you'll have Social Gallery sucking down your battery (it really is bad for that).

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
You cant Remove them - but You can do what i did - which was simply Disable the apps, eg. the uselss games, social gallary, orange services etc

razzmataz1478

razzmataz1478

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Flashing ROMs, Being distracted by my skate
  • Devices:ZTE Skate
Yiy can unroot if something goes wrong

Posted Image

Current Phone:

Xperia T

Previous Phones:

Orange Monte Carlo

Nokia 5530 XpressMusic (Nokia C6-00 CFW)

Sony Ericsson v640i

Nokia 3120

Various other Nokia phones.

Not the best history of phones Posted Image

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

You cant Remove them - but You can do what i did - which was simply Disable the apps, eg. the uselss games, social gallary, orange services etc

if I remember correctly even disabling Social Gallery didn't stop it using battery (admittedly I may be wrong about that :) ).

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Yiy can unroot if something goes wrong

In fact you could root, delete the useless apps and then unroot. Although once you've rooted it's hard to go back :)

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

if I remember correctly even disabling Social Gallery didn't stop it using battery (admittedly I may be wrong about that :) ).

Your right about Social Gallary its taking up 3% on my battery :( after disabled I want to root, but just nervous, i might do something stupid like i always do - lol :P

But, all the other apps, such as orange services, the games you can disable and they stay disabled.

So ultimately OP its your decision - if you do decide to root let me know how it goes :)

Here are some apps to disable Edit: How do i take a screenshot?

:Google Books
Orange Wednesdays
Weather
UNO
All the games
Quick Office
Quicke Tap
Swpe
Mobile Mail
Moview Studio
Your orange
face unlock
double twist

google + if you want

Edited by markhuges, 05 January 2013 - 02:19 PM.

i am not a hacker

i am not a hacker

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Orange San Diego
Take a screenshot by holding the volume down button and power button down at the same time.

Nexus 10
Orange San Diego

DaveSimonH

DaveSimonH

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
I'll think it over, but in the meantime I'll disable some of the extra apps. Guess over the next couple of weeks I'll just see if I can get by on the inbuilt memory. If/when I get tired of deleting files I will look into rooting, to get a MicroSD card in there.

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

I'll think it over, but in the meantime I'll disable some of the extra apps. Guess over the next couple of weeks I'll just see if I can get by on the inbuilt memory. If/when I get tired of deleting files I will look into rooting, to get a MicroSD card in there.

Kk Best of luck! @ hacker -- it dont work , tired it :(

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Kk Best of luck! @ hacker -- it dont work , tired it :(

The screenshot does work, it just takes a certain knack, practice, practice, practice.

markhuges

markhuges

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

The screenshot does work, it just takes a certain knack, practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for that it works! Here is what i Disabled and my battery stats

Attached Files

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
so now rooted running ICS XOLO which is dedexoed. Just to quickly clarify the apps that are left social gallery etc are best just being disabled as you can not delete them safely?

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

so now rooted running ICS XOLO which is dedexoed. Just to quickly clarify the apps that are left social gallery etc are best just being disabled as you can not delete them safely?

Incorrect, be careful what you delete(there is a list somewhere, search for it) but social gallery is best removed entirely.

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Incorrect, be careful what you delete(there is a list somewhere, search for it) but social gallery is best removed entirely.

this sounds as though i am being lazy but have searched on google and with the search bar at the top but can not find this anywhere

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

this sounds as though i am being lazy but have searched on google and with the search bar at the top but can not find this anywhere

Since I've deleted them a long time ago I can't actually remember all of them but :-

Xolo care
Social Gallery
Kepplr
Double Twist
Movie Gallery?(or something similar)
I think there was another Xolo app, something to do with warranty maybe?

Obviously if you actually need any of the above then leave them but do be careful what you delete and don'y get carried away. Maybe try disabling them first as a trial run.

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Since I've deleted them a long time ago I can't actually remember all of them but :-

Xolo care
Social Gallery
Kepplr
Double Twist
Movie Gallery?(or something similar)
I think there was another Xolo app, something to do with warranty maybe?

Obviously if you actually need any of the above then leave them but do be careful what you delete and don'y get carried away. Maybe try disabling them first as a trial run.

great stuff thanks , if you disable and it causes issues i assume it is possible to still use the phone to un-disable..

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

great stuff thanks , if you disable and it causes issues i assume it is possible to still use the phone to un-disable..

Yes

Horsa

Horsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:OSD, Sony Xperia U
Can the stock browser email & Gmail apps be removed if you're using 3rd party alternatives?

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Can the stock browser email & Gmail apps be removed if you're using 3rd party alternatives?

Not tried it myself yet but I can't see why not, I've wondered the same about the dialer, messaging and contacts apps since I use the Go alternatives. I think removing the stock launcher however is a VERY bad idea ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users