r12 **WiFi** (JDQ39 /CM 10.1): MoDaCo CyanogenMod Custom ROM for the Nexus 7

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

jr3n73gss1.jpg

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo CyanogenMod Custom Jelly Bean ROM for the WiFi Nexus 7! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. ;)

About MoDaCo CyanogenMod Custom ROMs

MoDaCo CyanogenMod Custom ROMs are based on CyanogenMod nightly ROMs. While a MCR release is designed to feel like a stock ROM with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience and the aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device, a MoDaCo CyanogenMod Custom ROM blends the great tweaks and features of CyanogenMod with the goodness of a MCR to hopefully create a 'best of both worlds'.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have a custom recovery installed. The ROM is installed at your own risk. A wipe IS recommended if coming from a ROM other than MCR or stock. BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE INSTALLATION!

MCMCR Nexus ROM features Include... (many optional via the Online Kitchen) - check kitchen defaults for what is in the prebake:

• Based on CyanogenMod 10.1 nightlies (the aim is to update the ROM every Friday), updated, rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system.
      For this MCR we've compiled a CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly build, updated with all the latest versions of the installed apps, which we've run through our scripts to ensure that it is as optimised as possible both for install / download size and real life performance.

• De-odexed... re-odexable.
        Our ROMs are de-odedex, giving you the ability to flash other mods over the top, tweak the system and generally get the system set up as you want it without worrying about odex issues. We also include the 'OdexMe' application, which lets you odex your system when you're ready, saving valuable space on your data partition.

• Pre-rooted
          All MCR ROMs are pre-rooted with SuperSU preinstalled. In addition, the kitchen allows you to choose between secure, insecure and secure with patched ADB boot images.

• Apps aren't disabled on boot
            Jelly Bean added a feature to disable apps on boot that aren't intended for your region (Wallet, Ears, Magazines etc.). I think we're smart enough to make that decision ourselves right? So that doesn't happen in a MCR.

• Legacy Play Store
              Isn't it frustrating how Google removed the ability in the Play Store to see which apps you'd bought in a nice simple list? I thought so... so I created 'Legacy Play Store', which has this feature.

• Legacy browser and Flash
                Google might be ditching the stock browser for Chrome and Adobe might have canned Flash, but we still need to use it sometimes... so it's included in a MCR.

• Patched Google Wallet
                  We've patched Google Wallet to remove all region and root checks, so you can have a play!

• Facebook sync support
                    Google removed all support for syncing contact information via the Facebook app, we put it back. It's basic support (an app like HaxSync is more fully featured) but hey, it works!

• Alternative appstores (Amazon and SlideMe Market)
                      The Amazon and SlideMe stores can be preinstalled, if that's where you like to purchased your wares.

• Titanium Backup preinstalled
                        Once you've flashed your ROM, if you've wiped you want to get your stuff back on as quickly as possible - the option to preinstall Titanium Backup is here to help!

• MoDaCo Boot Logo
                          Wear your MCR with pride with the MoDaCo boot logo. It can be disabled in the kitchen of course if you prefer the more subtle look.

[*]And there's more!

We haven't listed everything here because a) there's too much and B) there's things we've forgotten. :)

MCMCR Nexus 7 ROM specific features Include... (many optional via the Online Kitchen) - check kitchen defaults for what is in the prebake:

[*]NFC on screen off

If you use NFC tags to set profiles or similar, then the option to enable NFC on screen off might appeal to you. Be aware that we haven't benchmarked the impact this may have on battery life as yet though!

[*]Stock Launcher with rotate support, Nova and Apex Launchers as options

The stock launcher, with support for Landscape. So simple! If you're an Apex or Nova fan however, you can choose these to be baked right in to your ROM.

[*]LatinIME (stock input method) with enhanced layout

For some STRANGE reason Google thinks that if you're on a tablet, you don't want to press - hold keys to get numbers and punctuation. This is silly, we put that functionality back.

[*]Camera Launcher

In their infinite wisdom Google removed the Camera icon from the Nexus 7 - we put it back!

[*]Disable camera shutter sound

You can disable the camera shutter sound - use responsibly!

Changelog

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changelog.

Installation

To install this ROM:

[*]Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your sdcard.

[*]Restart your device in recovery mode

[*]PERFORM A BACKUP FROM THE MENU

[*]Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to the internal sd card! Remember that due to the 4.2 user changes, you may need to change to the '0' directory in recovery to find the zip!

If you have problems with Market licencing, check your device date!

First boot may take a while - be patient while it carries out it's pre-dexopt. It's worth it! :D

Downloads

Please do not mirror these packs elsewhere, I am counting downloads to determine which prebakes are most popular and should be offered in the future.

Prebake downloads

[*]r11 release - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 4bd7d412c32e84b49b501526c8844028

Kitchen download

[*]an online kitchen is also available below for subscribers to bake a Custom Custom ROM. :D

As well as via the MoDaCo store (PayPal, Google Checkout, Credit / Debit card), MoDaCo subscriptions are now available FREE via Trialpay!

A free prebake is ALWAYS available, a MoDaCo subscription gives you access to the kitchen and supports all MoDaCo developments.

Support

If you have a general question, please post in the topic.

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not guaranteeing that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription!

Enjoy! :D

P

Guest PaulOBrien

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest PaulOBrien

Changelog

12th April

• Update to the latest nightly
    5th April
    • Updated all included apps
      25th Mar
      • Preperation for use of Xposed framework for modifications in next release
        22nd Feb
        • Completely rebased on JDQ39 (4.2.2) nightly with all MCR features and updates merged in.
          11th Feb
          • Update to the latest nightly (JOP40G)
            31st Jan
            • Friday update to the latest nightly
            • Updated Superuser
              31st Jan
              • Updated Flash, Music, Plus and Superuser apps.
              • Reduced nav bar height to match MCR

30th Jan

[*]Prebakes update to latest version

[*]All outdated apps brought up to latest releases

[*]Numerous small fixes and improvements

25th Jan

[*]Updated to latest nightly (tagged 250113)

19th Jan

[*]Updated to latest nightly (still tagged 180113)

[*]Fixed issues with dirty-flash enhancement code (apologies)

18th Jan

[*]Updated to 180113 nightly

[*]Updated all 3rd party components

[*]Added MoDaCo Forums app

16th Jan

[*]First pre-bake issued.

16th Jan

• Initial version kitchen is under development.

Guest comicbookguy

Yep. Better to play on the 7 than on the 4.... ;-)

First impressions are good. Couple of issues so far:

Removed clock in the kitchen and added Chronus, got the widget but not the settings app, had to uninstall with TB and reinstall from the web...

When I install Power toggles as a system app in MCR, the widget can control NFC directly, but on MCMCR it takes me to the settings screen.....

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest PaulOBrien
Downloading now.. Maybe this weekend i'll play with the custom ingredients and see if i can get Chronus and a few other apps working.

How do you mean? Chronus is included?

P

Guest David Bate

How do you mean? Chronus is included?

P

Nevermind, I forgot that it came with the CM version. I been doing this ROM stuff for too long or the job is getting to me finally. :D

Guest PaulOBrien

Nevermind, I forgot that it came with the CM version. I been doing this ROM stuff for too long or the job is getting to me finally. :D

Actually, Chronus and the other CM apps are about to come to the stock version too. ;-)

P

Guest David Bate

Actually, Chronus and the other CM apps are about to come to the stock version too. ;-)

P

That would be perfect. I like CM, but it can be too much for some. I have also noticed, with 10.1, that it uses more battery then your stock version. Sometimes minimal is best.

To you have plans to update the GN as well?

Guest PaulOBrien

That would be perfect. I like CM, but it can be too much for some. I have also noticed, with 10.1, that it uses more battery then your stock version. Sometimes minimal is best.

To you have plans to update the GN as well?

Yup! 4 done, 7 WiFi done, Galaxy next, then 10 and finally 7 3G. Then they'll all get updates hopefully every Friday from the latest nightlies. :-)

P

Guest PaulOBrien
Other than the possible ThinkFree Office glitch, all seems stable with CM 10.1. :D

It doesn't have an icon, it's an all that opens when you try to open a compatible document format.

P

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi Paul

Thanks for the CM 10. 1. Currently running from baked download. Looking forward to

Friday nightlies. Rom is running perfectly. Installed over Jr13 after wiping cache and dalvik.

Oldbarzo

Guest GedBlake

Hi, Paul...

Just recently flashed this directly over Jr13, without any wipes... followed by flashing franco's r38 kernel...

All working perfectly...and smoothly.

(Now just gotta get used to the plethora of CM configuration options! :))

GED.

Guest darrenjdoc

Your previous MCR was excellent but now with CM its even better. For me personally the main advantage is being able to theme. No messed up gradients and now having the backgrounds in jet black its perfect.

Thanks Paul :)

Guest Oldbarzo
Hi, Paul...

Just recently flashed this directly over Jr13, without any wipes... followed by flashing franco's r38 kernel...

All working perfectly...and smoothly.

(Now just gotta get used to the plethora of CM configuration options! :))

GED.

Hi Ged

I have been using Bricked .58 with Jr 13 but have not tried it with this Jr1, what benefits does Franco's r38 have over it, if any, as I found Bricked was a bit heavy on the Battery.

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

Guest Hans Gruber

I've just found a little bug in this. I was setting up my system and it got to the part where you enter your google account details, from there I went into the keyboard settings (held down the audio typing button) to turn off the clicking sound on keypress and now there's no way to back out of the options (unless I'm missing something). Not a major problem, and I guess it only happens if you go into keyboard settings during the setup process, but maybe it's fixable?

Hi Paul,

Really like this ROM so far - definitely the best of both worlds. The only thing I miss is having the navigation bar on the right in landscape. Any chance of having that option in this ROM?

S