Motorola Defy Mini now £59 sim free

Guest hecatae

Guest hecatae

Previously £79, the Defy Mini is now only £59 @ Tescos

The hardware is regular low end fare - a MSM7225A 600mhz ARMV7 processor, 512MB RAM, 3 Megapixel Camera, LED Flash, and a 3.2 inch HVGA display... but it's redeeming features are of course the IP67 certification, dust-proofing, water-resistance and a scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass display.

While the handset IS stuck on Gingerbread (thanks Moto), it is still capable of playing BBC iPlayer and is a better buy than it's low end competitor the LG Optimus L3 as it has a HVGA resolution compared to the L3's QVGA and 512MB RAM compared to the L3's 384MB.

Are you considering buying a Defy Mini? If so please let us know, we do not currently have a forum for it, but if there is enough interest we may consider creating one.

[Via: Tesco]

gallery_19680_65_4608.jpeg

Click here to view the item

This is rubbish in comparison to the Alcatel OT-983 which is £39.99 locked to o2 or ~£34.50 after quidco. You can already root it and there are 3 programs that can unlock it via usb (gb-key, polarbox and furious team's broadcom reader) or o2 can give you an unlock code if you take out a 1 month contract. There is even a kind guy on hotukdeals who emails o2 using his contract sim to get us free unlock codes for our IMEI's, i just got mine off him: http://www.hotukdeal...1366627?page=21

Please add a forum for the Alcatel OT-983, it is a great phone: Android 2.3.7, 1GHZ broadcom BCM21552, 512mb ram, 512mb rom, 2gb micro sd, 3.2mp camera, 3.5" 480x320, bluetooth 4.0, 802.11n, NFC, GPS, Glonass, FM radio etc. The only thing it is really missing is a flash.

We already have a ROM for it and alcatel also provide an application which can restore the phone most of the time (http://www.mirrorcre...clite.exe_links)

We just need someone to create a version of ClockworkMod Recovery for it then people can begin creating a cynogenmod rom for it as alcatel include some junk applications and large language files that you can't delete easily. Also the camera is much better than alcatel is letting us use, we could have better framerates, bitrates etc.

Alcatel_OT-983.jpg

Edited by Guest

Guest kaizoku_san

i'll second the request for anyone to create custom roms for the Alcatel 983, and also if it can be unlocked it will be suuuuper :)

compared to the Defy Mini, the 983 is better for value

It can be unlocked via usb using those paid programs or a 1 month contract to get an unlock code from o2. It is probably the best performance/cost ratio on the planet. We just need a clockwork mod creating for it and someone to create a cynagenmod image for it for android 2.3.7. Even if we never get 4.0/4.1/4.2 i'd still be happy with it as it is incredibly cheap.

Guest kaizoku_san

i'll second the request for anyone to create custom roms for the Alcatel 983, and also if it can be unlocked it will be suuuuper :)

compared to the Defy Mini, the 983 is better for value

i meant unlocking for free :-p

+1 for that request, especially the CWM recovery image. I have many android phones, low, mid up to the latest N4. I totally agree this phone is the best price/performance phone I have ever used. It feels really nippy and nice responsive touchscreen, unfortunately no devs have taken an interest in it. GB runs fine on it but it certainly would be nice trying a custom rom, as long as we have some way of going back to stock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.