161 replies to this topic

KonstaT

KonstaT

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, ZTE Blade III

KonstaT any way to flash a new splash image? the stock one is jaggy on the edges and ugly! I got the perfect one to flash but fastboot flash splash splash.img told me theres no such partition :)

I think you can use dd in terminal to write it. Splash partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p18. You can also modify the updater-script inside the flashable zip in the first post according to that if you want to use cwm to flash it.

Size of the splash.img in the stock ZTE updates raised little suspicion so I hex edited it a bit. After the regular 565 bitmap there's another image.
Attached File  ztesplash.png   1.82KB   28 downloads
Looks like one of the images that are displayed while offline charging. I'm not sure if it's used for anything but I think it was worth mentioning. Changing splash image should be quite safe and you can restore the original easily anyway.

maybe its in kernel?

Well yeah, there's one initlogo in ramdisk that is displayed after the splash image, but that's only in stock ROMs.

x6itru

x6itru

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Game programming, C++ & OpenGL
  • Devices:ZTE Blade 3, ASUS Nexus 7
BTW i open root explorer today and i see splash.bmp file in /, do you think, if i will overwrite it with my own ( ofc in correct format ) it will be working?

KonstaT

KonstaT

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, ZTE Blade III

BTW i open root explorer today and i see splash.bmp file in /, do you think, if i will overwrite it with my own ( ofc in correct format ) it will be working?

You're running a stock ROM? You can't overwrite it with root explorer. You'd need to split the boot.img to change it. And it isn't the proper splash image anyway. It's an image that is displayed for about second or two after the proper splash (from splash partition) and before bootanimation. It might be branded to operator/ZTE in some stock ROMs but you won't normally notice it in these generic builds as it's exactly the same image as the proper splash.

GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, HTC Sensation
it kind of worked

I made a 480x800 image and used, while in recovery

adb shell
dd if=sourceimage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 bs=768 count=1000 conv=notrunc

seems to have worked but it's shifted a bit to the right, hmm

edit: nvm used gimp to save the picture instead and I got no "shifting", all is good.

Edited by GizmoTheGreen, 06 February 2013 - 04:30 AM.

DanAndroid

DanAndroid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
How do I known that the flashing was succesfull? I can't get to cwm recovery mode. Either android recovery mode or ftm mode. I also tried "adb reboot recovery" but it goes normal android recovery mode. When flashing it says two times OKEY OKEY if i remember correct. Phone is ZTE blade 3.

All help is welcome.

GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
if you flashed the recovery correctly then adb reboot recovery will get you into cwm recovery. if it doesn't then you didn't flash correctly..

make sure you flash from bootloader, when you are in android, have debugging enabled and then run adb reboot boorloader.
then use fastboot to flash recovery. full instructions are in the first post.

Edited by GizmoTheGreen, 06 February 2013 - 01:45 PM.

DanAndroid

DanAndroid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
C:\android\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
P772N10 device

C:\android\platform-tools>adb reboot bootloader

C:\android\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery-cwm6027-atlas40.img
sending 'recovery' (5824 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.495s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.138s]
finished. total time: 1.643s

C:\android\platform-tools>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: -0.000s

C:\android\platform-tools>

This is what I get, but can't boot to recovery mode other then android recovery. Is there any other way to do this? Does that dd copying method work in terminal emulator? Very frustrating.

I solved my problem installing newer stock rom version (10 instead of 08) after that everything went fine.

Edited by DanAndroid, 06 February 2013 - 11:35 PM.

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I can't get rid of the waiting for device message. I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly, as I can see my phone on if I write adb devices in the cmd prompt. I can see my phone in the devices list listed under ADB Interface, ZTE Composite ADB Interface. I'm trying to backup my phone before flashing it, but instead I am greeted with the waiting for device message.

Any help?

Edited by LimeMiiQ, 07 February 2013 - 08:54 PM.

GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
what is your phone doing when you get this message? and what command did you run?

is it botted into android OS? in recover? bootloader? did you run a adb or fastboot command?

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I start the whole operation when normally booted into Android. Then I write the reboot command, and wait a few moments for the phone tobootup to the green android logo. Then I write the clockwork mod boot line, and I see the message waiting for device

Could this be caused by me not having the usb driver iso mounted? I saw a message talking about daemon once,but only once.

sam45

sam45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade 3 @ 4.1
Hello,

for all who got the "waiting for device" message just install this http://junefabrics.c...droid/index.php program and say replace actual drivers, then it should work perfect!

sorry for my bad english :blush:

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I'll keep that in mind, but I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve installing more programs.

GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
maybe driver is not installed for the bootloader mode? what do you get in adb devices and fastboot devicesafter it's rebooted.

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
ADB devices shows the phone before rebooting into bootloader, but it disappears when I enter bootloader. I guess my drivers aren't properly installed after all?

Device manager also shows the device as an unknown android device after booting to bootloader.

Edited by LimeMiiQ, 08 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.

bigbluetaurus

bigbluetaurus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I have exactly the same issue!

update: solved!

Edited by bigbluetaurus, 11 February 2013 - 08:30 AM.

GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

ADB devices shows the phone before rebooting into bootloader, but it disappears when I enter bootloader. I guess my drivers aren't properly installed after all?

Device manager also shows the device as an unknown android device after booting to bootloader.

yes, right click and go into properties and then update driver.

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Okay, this is getting weird. I managed to get into the Clockwork menu, I tried to backup my phone, but it failed because I didn't have enough space. Obviously that was my fault, I emptied my SD to try again, but now the cmd prompt won't recognize any commands that start with fastboot. Very annoying. I can't get into Clockwork menu anymore.

GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
if the fastboot command doesn't work you are not in the right folder. in your commandprompt run dir, is fastboot listed? use cd until you are in your folder with fastboot inside

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

if the fastboot command doesn't work you are not in the right folder. in your commandprompt run dir, is fastboot listed? use cd until you are in your folder with fastboot inside

Okay, I got back into the Clockwork menu, I backed up my phone and flashed it. It went well, it took only a few seconds. But now I tried to reboot into Clockwork so that I could install Superuser, instead I am greeted with the default android recovery. So, basically I have the same problem as someone else in this thread.

LimeMiiQ

LimeMiiQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I installed the Superuser without flashing the clockwork recovery, so now I'm rooted even though Clockwork doesn't work, and that's what I wanted. Case closed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users