Photo

[DEV][ROM][2014-06-16] CyanogenMod 10 (Continuation of KonstaT's work)

* * * * * 21 votes

848 replies to this topic

elrond_bs

elrond_bs

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
There is a low memory killer in the kernel in the last version which improves things a little. But you can't expect too much from a slow 512 MB device with Jelly Bean. For me it's still faster than CM9, except if I open too many apps.

Edited by elrond_bs, 11 June 2013 - 11:03 PM.

ZTE Blade with CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.4 KitKat)

riho09

riho09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I also have the hardware keys backlight problem, build 14.5
Sometimes when phone starts ringing, it takes ~2 seconds to light up the screen and then there is no answer button, just lock screen. I have pull down the notification bar, choose the call and then I can answer. I've had this problem with different builds.
Also this last build hasn't shown a caller name few times, only number, but if I check the call log later, it shows the name correctly.

globe

globe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade/San Francisco CM10
Hi

First of all, I want to thank all the developpers of this ROM, you did a great job!! :D it is way better than the 2.1 which I got from ZTE ;) (and CM7.2)

I have got the backlight problem too but when is lock my phone I don't look at it anymore till I need it and because it doesn't cause a battery drain I don't worry :D

I saw something at XDA, HELO from Paranoid team

http://www.xda-devel...n-sources-halo/

I like it, do you guys like it?
And maybe if our developper, daemond, thinks it is useful and wants to merge it into the rom... it would be great :D
(If it is possible to merge it into our rom) If I could do it I would but I don't know that much about android

Greetings

Janil

Janil

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Has anyone else had network connection loss with the 14.5. version? The problem appears if the phone is unused for >3hrs, the phone somehow kills the connection and asks for a PIN code. When I upgraded, there were no error messages, except when I pressed back in CWM, it said "no files found." That's a bit weird, isn't it?

The given information is a bit poor, because I don't have physical access to the phone for the moment...

Got access to the phone, wiped it and no problems so far.. Not sure yet, because asking for the PIN code was turned off..

EDIT: nope, still goes back to asking PIN from time to time.

Edited by Janil, 17 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Skarek

Skarek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I searched the tread but found no answer. In earlier versions of android CM there was an option that you could tick that made all apps movable to sd (on your own risk). Are there still some option for this (cant find it in the menus). Any solution?

I'm not interested in S2E or link2sd, just a way of by choice to force apps to the SD-card.

elrond_bs

elrond_bs

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Please don't post same question more than once in different topics! I already answered you in CM10.1 topic. And this is offtopic anyway.

ZTE Blade with CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.4 KitKat)

Skarek

Skarek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry. I posted it by mistake in this topic, and found no way to remove it. Still, there might be some answers here to. :)

eric3

eric3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I guess (as others have mentioned here) that this little device only has 512MB RAM and that may not be enough to hold a few apps in memory.

For example I need to restart Opera Mini many times even though I've only used alarm clock (built in), calendar (built in), RSS reader (Sparse RSS), browser (Opera Mini) and launcher (built in). During this test I didn't send or receive a call or SMS.

So my question is, are there any settings or apps to improve the memory use... even just a little bit?

Simono

Simono

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3
You can use ZRam, and page merging

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3, ROM: CM10.2, 32GB Micro SD Card
ZTE Blade, ROM: CM10.1

99x

99x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Devices:Samsung GT-i9000

I guess (as others have mentioned here) that this little device only has 512MB RAM and that may not be enough to hold a few apps in memory.

For example I need to restart Opera Mini many times even though I've only used alarm clock (built in), calendar (built in), RSS reader (Sparse RSS), browser (Opera Mini) and launcher (built in). During this test I didn't send or receive a call or SMS.

So my question is, are there any settings or apps to improve the memory use... even just a little bit?

A swap partition might also help, as it acts as a page file, freeing up ram when needed without killing background apps

eric3

eric3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I've tried with and without zRAM and KSM with more or less the same result :(

A swap partition might also help, as it acts as a page file, freeing up ram when needed without killing background apps

I've created a swapfile on /sdcard but it looks like that the swapspace is never used. After an uptime of more than 1 day, I get this output when using the command 'free' in a terminal:

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 429476 327288 102188 0 8080
-/+ buffers: 319208 110268
Swap: 204796 0 204796

globe

globe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
eric3, it might sound stupid but maybe a reboot once a day could help?
when my phone becomes slow it works fine again after a reboot

good luck!

eric3

eric3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

when my phone becomes slow it works fine again after a reboot

The phone is not slow, I like this phone/ROM combination.
It's just unable to keep the browser (Opera Mini) resident in memory.

For example:
I start Opera Mini (OM) at 23:00. OM will be resident in memory untill 0:00. I've tested this by starting and stopping OM every 15 minutes or so. At 0:00 something happens (maybe the calendar is updated) which will kill OM and remove it from memory.
The same thing happens in the morning when the alarm clock is ringing.

I was hoping that adding virtual memory (swap) will help me get rid of this problem, but it looks like that the virtual memory is there but not used.

globe

globe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

The phone is not slow, I like this phone/ROM combination.
It's just unable to keep the browser (Opera Mini) resident in memory.

Yeah indeed, I like it too :)
Maybe it is with the added low memory function in the kernel, which improved a lot but it could be possible it kills your OM because it isn't used and becomes a background action witch has to be killed to improve everything (I am just brainstorming) :)
or something autokill in OM, like some games,... have?

eric3

eric3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Maybe it is with the added low memory function in the kernel, which improved a lot but it could be possible it kills your OM because it isn't used and becomes a background action witch has to be killed to improve everything

Yes that is a possibility.

I guess I'm just a very "light user" (not playing games or watching movies). The heaviest app I use is Opera Mini, and even here I've turned off the use of images. It's a bit annoying that something small (I think it's the alarm clock in the morning or the updating of the calendar at 0:00h) will kill Opera Mini en thus removing it from memory.

The killing of background tasks probably improves the experience for most people.
But it would be nice if the killing can be tuned. Because when I check the memory (with the command "free" in a terminal), it looks like I have enough memory to keep Opera Mini resident.</p></p>

metRo_

metRo_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone upload gapps file? thanks :)

ilopez85

ilopez85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Camera without camcoder effects option (funny faces), it doesn't work in our Blades:

http://www.mediafire...j5/Gallery2.apk

ilopez85

ilopez85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Can anyone compile the camera (and gallery) from CM10 (not legacy) with the following modifications? (remove lines between <<--N)

The idea is "to hide" from the menus everything that is not working (fully or partially) in our Blades keeping the other options that are not available in the legacy but works fine (focus mode, color effect, ...)

=======================================================================
android_packages_apps_Camera/res/xml/video_preferences.xml

<<--1
<IconListPreference
camera:key="pref_video_effect_key"
camera:defaultValue="@string/pref_video_effect_default"
camera:title="@string/pref_video_effect_title"
camera:icons="@array/video_effect_icons"
camera:largeIcons="@array/video_effect_icons"
camera:entries="@array/pref_video_effect_entries"
camera:entryValues="@array/pref_video_effect_entryvalues" />
<<--1

android_packages_apps_Gallery2/res/layout/photoeditor_effects_fix.xml

<<--2
</com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.FaceliftAction>
<com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.FaceTanAction style="@style/Effect">
<ImageView
style="@style/EffectIcon"
android:src="@drawable/photoeditor_effect_facetan"/>
<TextView
android:id="@+id/effect_label"
android:text="@string/facetan"
style="@style/EffectLabel"/>
</com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.FaceTanAction>
<com.android.gallery3d.photoeditor.actions.StraightenAction style="@style/Effect"
android:tag="@string/straighten_tooltip">
<ImageView
style="@style/EffectIcon"
android:src="@drawable/photoeditor_effect_straighten"/>
<TextView
android:id="@+id/effect_label"
android:text="@string/straighten"
style="@style/EffectLabel"/>
<<--2

Edited by ilopez85, 15 July 2013 - 07:38 AM.

eric3

eric3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think I've found the setting to solve this issue.

I guess I'm just a very "light user" (not playing games or watching movies). The heaviest app I use is Opera Mini, and even here I've turned off the use of images. It's a bit annoying that something small (I think it's the alarm clock in the morning or the updating of the calendar at 0:00h) will kill Opera Mini en thus removing it from memory.

It's the 'sys.mem.max_hidden_apps' setting in the /system/build.prop file.
The default is 4, I changed it to 10, and now it works the way I want

daemond

daemond

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
Raising sys.mem.max_hidden_apps to 10 may be a bit too much. You can never fit that many apps into the RAM anyway.

I am going to make a (final?) build of this Android ROM soon. That will include the master key fix and some other stuff, like raising max_hidden_apps. I still can't reproduce the button backlight issue. Can anyone that is affected please check if replacing /system/lib/hw/lights.blade.so and/or /system/app/BladeParts.apk to the version from an older build fixes the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users