Loss of GSM/3G signal

Guest zac206

Hi guys,

After having an OSD for 6 months I'm starting to have some issues:

Here is how it started

3 weeks ago, whenever I was enabling 3g data and downloading stuff on google play/ or surf, I would completely loose gsm/3g connectivity. If I would turn airplane mode on, I couldn't get if off (the option is grayed out).

Then, it started doing the same thing when I was using the WiFi.

And now, it does it even when I have it in the pocket of my jeans.

Whenever the device gets just a little warm (not even hot, just warm) it looses connectivity. I need to wait a little and reboot it.

Has anybody else had any similar issue?

Thanks a lot!

Guest BlueMoonRising

Not had that problem but the first phone was returned due to overheating. The CPU and all the signal processors are tightly grouped, it sounds like an overheating problem and a possible return.

If you've had the back off then Ricky has had success loosening the three star screws along the bottom I believe.

Yeah, I've already had the back off, I wanted to remove the battery to do a complete reset of all the chips (while battery is connected, there are parts that are still powered) but didn't manage to take it off. I was affraid that I would break the battery cables.

I'll try loosening the three screws and see what happens.

Thanks!

Guest Roger Barnett

I'm getting the same problem, but don't think it is due to overheating.

Like you I get the aeroplane mode greyed out if I try to toggle it on.

If I reboot I keep my 3g or H signal for about 10 mins, then it promptly greys out.

I thought it might be due to me using sky sports and exceeding my data allowance, but I've checked the 'your orange' application and I'm still showing data allowance available. I also monitor my allowance with the ICS system settings, but I've turned that off to check if that's the issue, but it isn't.

I think it's a network issue.

Will try to contact orange to find out what's wrong (wish me luck there).

WIFI works fine at home.

I'm in France, and I don't use OSD with Orange network but with Free Mobile.

Roger, have you tested putting the phone in the fridge, and use it as a hotspot?

Might sound stupid, but I tested that last week and I could keep the network up for quite long. Don't leave it too long though!

This is why was thinking of an overheating problem. Even though, it is not warm at touch.

And also, how long have you been using your phone?

By the way, has anybody ever managed to remove the battery of the OSD?

I was thinking that if there is a problem in the Power Managment unit, the only way to properly reset it is to cut the power supply.

I tried pulling the battery cables but it didn't come out...

Guest Roger Barnett

Are you 2 (Roger & Zac) in the same area by any chance?

No, I'm in Somerset.

I'm in France, and I don't use OSD with Orange network but with Free Mobile.

Roger, have you tested putting the phone in the fridge, and use it as a hotspot?

Might sound stupid, but I tested that last week and I could keep the network up for quite long. Don't leave it too long though!

This is why was thinking of an overheating problem. Even though, it is not warm at touch.

And also, how long have you been using your phone?

I've had the phone since October and it's been fine. It's only in the last week this has started happening, which is what makes me suspect a network issue.

Tried the fridge thing to no avail.

This is quite annoying; I might take the phone back to Orange but I'm currently on Xolo ICS without root so it means I would need to use Ricky's tool, to revert to Orange ICS - I think?

Guest Roger Barnett

I thought I'd add this.

I've rebooted the phone while at home, and I've been back up now and OK for 1 hour and counting, with a nice blue 'H' on the screen (turned WI-FI off to check that it works).

Therefore it seems that the problem only occurs when I'm at work. (I only work about 300m from where I live!). I think where I sit at work might be in a position where I'm fighting between an Orange and T-mobile mast (or something like that).

Guest BlueMoonRising

I thought I'd add this.

I've rebooted the phone while at home, and I've been back up now and OK for 1 hour and counting, with a nice blue 'H' on the screen (turned WI-FI off to check that it works).

Therefore it seems that the problem only occurs when I'm at work. (I only work about 300m from where I live!). I think where I sit at work might be in a position where I'm fighting between an Orange and T-mobile mast (or something like that).

I live about 200 yards(max) from a T-Mobile mast but it defaults to an Orange mast about 10 miles away across the Firth of Forth which is on line of sight, so I doubt the T-Mobile mast is the problem. Have you tried one of the apps to determine which mast you are connecting too?

This is quite annoying; I might take the phone back to Orange but I'm currently on Xolo ICS without root so it means I would need to use Ricky's tool, to revert to Orange ICS - I think?

Yeah, better to put it back to stock if you want to have it replaced by Orange.

I'm currently fighting with Orange to get it replaced. The problem is that I no longuer have an orange contract, just an orange phone, and they say the warranty no longer applies...

Guest BlueMoonRising

Yeah, better to put it back to stock if you want to have it replaced by Orange.

I'm currently fighting with Orange to get it replaced. The problem is that I no longuer have an orange contract, just an orange phone, and they say the warranty no longer applies...

I don't know what the French laws are like but considering it was only launched last June(?) it's still in the 12 month warranty so you should have every right to get it sorted one way or another.

Yeah, actually it is a EU law. But they refuse, so it's going to be done the hard way (consumer association and so on)

Edited by zac206

Guest BlueMoonRising

Yeah, actually it is a EE law. But they refuse, so it's going to be done the hard way (consumer association and so on)

lol, I think you mean EU law but then again... :)

Guest Roger Barnett

I live about 200 yards(max) from a T-Mobile mast but it defaults to an Orange mast about 10 miles away across the Firth of Forth which is on line of sight, so I doubt the T-Mobile mast is the problem. Have you tried one of the apps to determine which mast you are connecting too?

No I haven't tried those. Can you recommend a particular one?

Guest BlueMoonRising

No I haven't tried those. Can you recommend a particular one?

I'm at work at the moment, I'm going to try some tomorrow. By the way, which tower you connect to seems to depend on whether your using 2g or 3g. Edited by BlueMoonRising