Mobile Broadband on a Budget (or FREE!)

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Zarch1972

I opted for samba, and in the 3 weeks I've had the sim I've managed to earn just under 800MB, just for having the adverts in a background tab for about 15mins now and again while I'm doing my normal daily surfing

Good stuff. I've been doing similar and building a bit of a Samba data stockpile. :)

I would like to keep my own number. If it is ported to any of these companies and they go bust, can my original number still be retrieved by the company they piggy backed on (by say voda or 3 etc) and be reused by me or is it a one way trip?

Guest hecatae

ovivo is a bit vague about this:

http://ovivomobile.c...view=3151#q3151

or are they?

one sentence sums it up:

Your Mobile number, is also your property and by UK regulation, you have the right to take it with you at any time if you wish to leave OVIVO.

for example, if your land line company went bust they would have to release your land line number if you wanted to take it with you, the same applies to a mobile number.

I would still not advise porting your number to this company just yet. See the link below which refers to over 30 pages of user experiences (particularly the last half dozen pages. Seems the offer changes from week to week and that the allowances are fast diminishing, towards a rolling price type plan. The director has apparantly ,(dont quote me but there is company research listed and documented on the pages), wound up several companies in the last few years. Registered address may be a redirection type address. As I say, read it right through, especially the latter pages and judge for yourself. As always, caveat emptor.

www.hotdeals.com/misc/anyone-using-ovivo-sim-only-deal-1254886

Excellent article, many thanks, should save me some of my hard earned.

I'm going to sign up for both Samba and Ovivo, would anyone like to PM me their referral details?

Thanks

Guest Zarch1972
Excellent article, many thanks, should save me some of my hard earned.

I'm going to sign up for both Samba and Ovivo, would anyone like to PM me their referral details?

You can use the link in the original post for Samba. :)

Cheers.

Guest everett_psycho

For the next 24 hours samba is offering double data, shop 7mb for every ad you watch, a nice way to get boosting that internet if you are using them at all

Guest Zarch1972

For the next 24 hours samba is offering double data, shop 7mb for every ad you watch, a nice way to get boosting that internet if you are using them at all

Good call....... well worth following them on Twitter too to get their announcements. (@SambaMobile)

:)

Guest Zarch1972

Got this from Ovivo this morning

More Free Minutes and Texts for OVIVO Phone Freedom Customers!

We are happy to announce that we have increased the free minutes and texts for all OVIVO Phone Freedom customers! Now, each month, you will receive:

150 Free Minutes (Any Network)

150 Free Texts (Any Network)

400MB Free Data

Free OVIVO to OVIVO Calls and Texts outside of your free allowance

Any new customers signing up to our service, or those how have purchased a SIM card from us recently but not activated it yet, will automatically be on our new Price Plans.

Any customers who have been awarded an upgrade to their Price Plan as part of the OVIVO Loyalty Promotion, will also receive an additional 50 Minutes and 50 texts in their allowance.

All existing and activated customers will see the new allowances take effect the next time your free allowance resets.

The OVIVO Mobile Team

So an extra 50 mins and 50 texts for free......... Nice! :)

You can also follow Ovivo on twitter: @ovivomobile

Guest everett_psycho

Good call....... well worth following them on Twitter too to get their announcements. (@SambaMobile)

:)

extended to 10am tomorrow now, their servers were useless so they've upgraded them which brought the site down so they've added time on to compensate

Also ovivo sent me a message this morning, I now get 150 texts and 150 minutes a month, an extra 50 free for no real reason, everyone using it should get the same treatment

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest dilfred

I have for some time now been using both the Samba and Ovivo data sims.

The saving/adding of Mb via Samba is good, though only possible on my PC. My tablet (Asus Infinity TF700) has the flash player issue, therefore cannot load the ads viewing page. But like most say, I simply have a separate tab open on my PC when I remember and add some credit in the background.

The Ovivo data (free 500) sim I have has been great also and takes a hammering first generally for Mb each month, and then should I need more, I eat into the Samba credit.

It is useful having both sims also as they are different networks. I cannot get 3 network at work, so the Ovivo is the only solution, likewise at home Ovivo does not connect at full speed onto my dongle, so I use the Samba sim. Though not much point as at home, so can use my wifi lol.

All in all, a great solution for free broadband on my tablet (and mobile) via my mifi dongle.

For information, I bought a 2nd hand Huawei E585 off an auction site and unlocked it myself, which works great.

If anyone wants a sim, then PM me and i'll happily send a recommendation link for either network (and GiffGaff also) and hopefully get us both a bit of free credit.

Guest Zarch1972

it works!

my allowance reset today right on que.

luv it :)

Yes, a nice warm feeling all-round. I still can't believe its free and there is no catch? :)

Guest TangerineTractor

I've got a t-mobile contract - a tenner a month, unlimited texts, unlimited data and 500 mins calls. If you but a smartphone from t-mobile they automatically let you pick an addon, so choose the unlimted data. It's a two year contract, so I get a new lowish spec handset every two years too. Sell the phone boxed up on ebay for £100, and you've effectively got unlimited data for a fiver a month over two years.

This is done through t-mobile business - do it on the phone, tell them you're a self-employed consultant. Business accounts get free voicemail, and better handset support, so if you're using their phone, ring them up after about ten months, say it's faulty, and they ship you a new/refurbished one.

Guest lineone

i don't like contracts, ebay, tmobile or being deceitful to obtain that deal.

i prefer honesty, payg, vodafone and the word FREE :)

I've got a t-mobile contract - a tenner a month, unlimited texts, unlimited data and 500 mins calls. If you but a smartphone from t-mobile they automatically let you pick an addon, so choose the unlimted data. It's a two year contract, so I get a new lowish spec handset every two years too. Sell the phone boxed up on ebay for £100, and you've effectively got unlimited data for a fiver a month over two years.

This is done through t-mobile business - do it on the phone, tell them you're a self-employed consultant. Business accounts get free voicemail, and better handset support, so if you're using their phone, ring them up after about ten months, say it's faulty, and they ship you a new/refurbished one.

Guest lineone

samba saves the day!

my virgin broadband is down as i write so i'm writing this using my samba card in my old mobile phone as a dongle.

speed is 2.7mb allowing very good browsing speed.

plusnet home broadband speed in my area is 1.8mb!

no brainer :)

Guest lineone

i luv 'em both:)

just maxed out the samba ads whilst watching tv over the last hour or so.

credit stands at 948mb.

500mb add on for your payg 3 costs £5

why would you not want this?

lineone is fast becoming Samba's no.1 fan. ;)

Guest Mr.Clark

I still think it's too good to be true. That said, I ported my number to Ovivo last Friday. No issues thus far *touch wood*. Their mobile site is good for tracking usage as well, although I do kind of miss the little GiffGaff popups I got at the end of every call and after sending a text, telling me my balance.

Guest dwarfcoach

Great, useful thread. I signed up with Ovivo and have had no complaints. Even paid for some extra mb when I wanted to stream something and couldn't wait, felt good to pay a little start-up company a couple of quid for a decent service, especially as I plan on only using the free 500mb allowance for the foreseeable future.

Seems they're hiring new directors or some such business, not too sure if that's just to give potential customers comfort but I hope they manage to stay afloat for some time to come as I use a mi-fi device for my sim and have never seen any Ovivo adverts... Oh well, if it's working don't hex it I suppose :-)

Guest dwarfcoach

My Free Data allowance reset standard, no problems. Happy days, Ovivo working well with no worries (or additional adverts) to speak of! Their site itself is getting a little 'advert-intensive' but that's nothing for free mb each month...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest everett_psycho

Ohhhh ovivo has upped the allowance again, up to 150 minutes and 200 texts, internet remains the same though with 400mb for phone plans and 500mb for data plans. They also seem to have added monthly tariffs, of you can add these on a monthly basis it could be a really useful spare that can be topped up should you need a month with extra data or calls

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.