Ringtone/Message tone issue

Guest jase_d31

Guest jase_d31

Hi All

I am running repackaged B952 Stock ROM and I am trying to change my Text Message Alert Tone.

I have put the tone I want to use in the Ringtones folder on my SD card but when I go to 'System Settings' - 'Messaging' - 'Choose Ringtone' all I can see is a whole bunch of default ringtones. The problem is I can't find where those ringtones are stored on my phone.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jason

Guest jase_d31

Thanks for the reply Kyan31 but I don't want to set a ringtone... I want to change the text message alert tone.

I read elsewhere that they are in Root/System/Media/Audio.... but I can't see them there!!

Guest PixelPixie

It's not a good idea to use the sdcard because of random dismounts, use the internal memory. Place in media/audio/ringtones or media/audio/notifications. You might have to make the folders yourself. Android will find them their.

Then use android system to select, if you have more than one option.

This is if your not rooted, otherwise follow miki's instuctions above. Mp3's are best converted to .ogg, lots of disscusions on this, use the search for more answers.

Guest nsmacd1

I cannot put any files in the media/audio/ringtones folder as the permissions deny it - I have tried changing them to write but it won't let me change the permissions... (I am using CM 10.1)

i have also tried the mount system (rw etc) app which didn't help. - Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks!

(I have been able to do it before on different ROMs - CM9+10,Infusion etc - so could this just be a CM10.1 issue, or is it easily solved and I'm being a dingbat!?)

Edited by nsmacd1

I did the following and it worked:

• Open terminal console on phone
  • cd /system/media/audio/ringtones
  • su
  • touch xxxxx
  • ls and I can see the newly created file
  • rm xxxxx

Does that not work for you?

What about ESFileExplorer with Settings > Root settings configured appropriately?

Guest nsmacd1

Strange - works for me and I'm on CM10.1 too...

I get the error 'Copy failed' and if I try and change the folder permissions I get 'Change permissions failed'

I am using ES File explorer and have all root settings options ticked (inc. mount files system as writeable')

EDIT - Something strange is going on, as even though the copy etc have failed, the files are now showing in the folder??!!!

Never mind - Is working now (with 3 of each copied ringtone showing in the list!)

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest nsmacd1

Yup - definitely got root. Managed to get the files in to the folder with ES File manager, but they come out as 0 byte files.

Terminal approach seems to fail now, as cd /system/media/audio/ringtones (with a space after cd /) gives the error 'No such file or directory'.

PS - I did double check the spelling and spaces etc when typing the line!

Edited by nsmacd1

Guest JackRackham

Hey dude, I'm on Vodafone B592 and all I did was putting my ogg/mp3 files on the *internal* memory (the 2Gb one, not the external microSD)

I didn't put the files inside the \media\ directory as other suggest but in root\alarms\ , root\notifications\ and root\ringtones\ directories

This should work on any Android device, no root needed (unless you want to overwrite/delete the original ringtone from the phone, but that's another story!)

Let me know! :)

PS: btw, can you please tell me wich languages are included in the B952 stock repack? thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AMFerreira

(...)

What about ESFileExplorer with Settings > Root settings configured appropriately?

I'm experiencing a problem with this. I've my phone rooted but in ESFileExplorer when I go to [settings > Root Options] I have 2 options, [Root Explorer and Mount File System] when i "check" anyone of them the Superuser asks me If i want to give ESFileExplorer root permissions, I allow it and then when i go back from options to file explorer it shows an error saying "Connection Failed - Sorry, get file list error!" And the folders aren't shown.

This may be caused by what? A bad ESFileExplorer installation?

I was following your suggestions because I'm also on that situation that only stock sms tones are being shown, not my tones at the SD.

Thanks in advance :)