How to pack & boot a custom boot.img for PF2

Guest lflint

EDIT: SOLVED

I had to recompile mkbootimg.c (from the Android AOSP source) with suitable "ramdisk_offset" values for the PadFone2, as per below:

For recovery images: unsigned ramdisk_offset = 0x01600000;

For full kernel images: unsigned ramdisk_offset = 0x02000000;

Can someone please shed some light on how to make/pack a custom"boot.img" file specifically for the PF2? These are a sample of the steps I have tried:

(Using either Ubuntu 12 32bit or 64bit)

1. Unpack "recovery.modaco.r1.img" using either "split_bootimg.pl" or "unpackbootimg", to retrieve the command-line, pagefile size, and kernel & RAM disk files.

2. Without making any changes to the RAM disk file (or kernel file), repack the two files, using "mkbootimg", with the following command:

"./mkbootimg --cmdline 'console=ttyHSL0,115200,n8 androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3' --kernel ./recovery.modaco.r1.img-zImage --ramdisk ./recovery.modaco.r1.img-ram.gz --base 80200000 --pagesize 2048 -o ./boot.img"/

3. Booting the resulting "boot.img" on my PF2 using "fastboot boot boot.img".

I have tried the above with the MoDaCo Recovery img, the stock Recovery img, and the MoDaCo Superboot img, but all yield the same results: Fastboot appears to work ok, and the phone reboots, but the screen stays black, and if the PF2 is connected to my PC, it mounts the PF2 as a drive, with a folder called "Image" (presumably containing the contents of the kernel image).

I'm following the instructions from various sources, appear to be doing things right, and am not seeing any errors, but I seem to be missing something. Clearly Paul O'Brien has managed to achieve success with the above for the PF2, so hopefully can see what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by lflint

Ok, found the solution. I had to recompile mkbootimg.c (from the Android AOSP source) with suitable "ramdisk_offset" values for the PadFone2, as per below:

For recovery images: unsigned ramdisk_offset = 0x01600000;

For full kernel images: unsigned ramdisk_offset = 0x02000000;

Step towards running a custom kernel on the PadFone 2. This is my first time building a custom kernel, so struggling a little bit. Have managed to build a kernel, and can now successfully boot it on the phone, but having trouble with the WiFi driver, as the source for that doesn't seem to be included in the ASUS kernel source code.

Step towards running a custom kernel on the PadFone 2. This is my first time building a custom kernel, so struggling a little bit. Have managed to build a kernel, and can now successfully boot it on the phone, but having trouble with the WiFi driver, as the source for that doesn't seem to be included in the ASUS kernel source code.

I'm happy to see someone at the work on PF2.

I don't know if is useful for you, but some days ago, i've unpacked and repacked boot.img with xda kitchen and it worked for me.

Sorry for my English :)

---------------------------------------------------------

Tnx Paul for your support on this smartphone.

And you can see the recovery? or you are using the stock costum recovery?

I flashed the repacked boot.img and the PF2 rebooted regularly.

I didn't try with recovery but only with kernel.

I think it is the same.

Edited by gsep