Official: The HTC One

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Forget the rumours, it's official - HTC's new flagship for 2013 is simply called the 'HTC One' and it's a stunner!

The new device features market leading construction, top end specifications and unique and innovative software features that combined HTC hope will put them back atop the Android Smartphone pile.

Although the One is about much more than the raw specs, I know we all love those too... they are as follows:

• Android 4.1.2 (Android 4.2 upgrade to follow shortly after launch)
  • HTC Sense™ 5 with Android™
  • HTC BlinkFeed™
  • Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 600, quad-core 1.7GHz
  • 32GB/64GB ROM
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM
  • GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz / WCDMA: 1900/2100 (B2/B1) MHz / CDMA: 800/1900 (BC0/BC1/BC10, Sprint) / LTE: 1900 (B25, SPCS)
  • 4.7", Full HD 1080p, 468 PPI display
  • Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX™ enabled
  • WiFi 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n
  • HTC ULTRAPIXEL CAMERA with BSI sensor, Pixel size 2.0 µm, Sensor size 1/3'
  • Dedicated HTC ImageChip™ 2
  • F2.0 aperture and 28 mm lens
  • Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
  • Smart Flash: Five levels of flash automatically set by distance to subject
  • Front Camera: 88 wide angle lens with HDR capability
  • 1080p Full HD video recording for both front and back cameras
  • HDR Video
  • Continuous shooting and VideoPic
  • Slow motion video recording with variable speed playback
  • HTC Zoe™ with highlights and HTC Zoe™ Share
  • Retouch with Object Removal, Always Smile, and Sequence Shot
  • Gyro sensor
  • Accelerometer
  • Proximity sensor
  • Ambient light sensor
  • 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
  • NFC capable
  • DLNA® for wirelessly streaming media from the phone to a compatible TV or computer
  • Support consumer infrared remote control
  • micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port with mobile highdefinition video link (MHL) for USB or HDMI connection (Special cable required for HDMI connection.)
  • HTC BOOMSOUND™ - Dual frontal stereo speakers with built-in amplifiers
  • HDR Microphone
  • Sense Voice
  • Audio Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9)
  • Audio Recording: .amr
  • Video playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3)
  • Video Recording: .mp4
  • Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS
  • Digital compass
  • microSIM
  • 2300 mAh battery
  • 137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3mm/4mm (max/min)
  • 143g

The full press release is below - my own thoughts on the device (i've had a full hands on prior to the event) will follow shortly, follow me on Twitter for more too. :)

19-Feb-2013_htcone500.png

INTRODUCING THE NEW HTC ONE®, A NEW PERSPECTIVE ON SMARTPHONES

HTC BlinkFeed™, HTC Zoe™ and HTC BoomSound™ Deliver HTC One’s Unprecedented New Smartphone Experience

London and New York City, February 19, 2013 — HTC, a global leader in mobile innovation and design, today announced its new flagship smartphone, the new HTC One. Crafted with a distinct zero-gap aluminium unibody, the new HTC One introduces HTC BlinkFeed™, HTC Zoe™ and HTC BoomSound™, key new HTC Sense® innovations that reinvent the mobile experience and set a new standard for smartphones.

“People today immerse themselves in a constant stream of updates, news and

information. Although smartphones are one of the main ways we stay in touch with the people and information we care about, conventional designs have failed to keep pace with how people are actually using them,” said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. “A new, exciting approach to the smartphone is needed and with the new HTC One, we have re-imagined the mobile experience from the ground up to reflect this new reality.”

HTC BlinkFeed: A personal live stream right on the home screen

At the centre of the new HTC One experience is HTC BlinkFeed. HTC BlinkFeed is a bold new experience that transforms the home screen into a single live stream of personally relevant information such as social updates, entertainment and lifestyle updates, news and photos with immersive images so that people no longer need to go to separate applications to find out what’s happening. HTC BlinkFeed aggregates the freshest content from the most relevant and interesting sources, giving it to people at a glance, all in one place, without the need to jump between multiple applications and web sites.

To enable this new dynamic approach to the smartphone, HTC will provide both local and global content from more than 1,400 media sources with more than 10,000 articles per day from some of the most innovative media companies, such as the AOL family of media properties, ESPN, MTV, Vice Media, CoolHunting, Reuters and many others. For more information on HTC BlinkFeed’s content partners, visit the HTC Blog.

HTC UltraPixel Camera with HTC Zoe

The breakthrough HTC UltraPixel Camera redefines how people capture, relive and share their most precious moments. HTC Zoe gives people the ability to shoot high-res photos that come to life in three-second snippets. These Zoes, photos and videos are then displayed in a unique way that brings the gallery to life and transforms the traditional photo gallery of still images into a motion gallery of memories. It also automatically creates integrated highlight films from each event comprised of Zoes, photos and videos set to music with professionally designed cuts, transitions and effects. These highlight videos can be remixed or set to different themes, and can be easily shared on social networks, email and other services.

To enable this innovative camera experience, HTC developed a custom camera that includes a best-in-class f/2.0 aperture lens and a breakthrough sensor with UltraPixels that gather 300 percent more light than traditional smartphone camera sensors. This new approach also delivers astounding low-light performance and a variety of other improvements to photos and videos. In addition, the perfect self-portrait or video is just a tap away with an ultra-wide angle front-facing camera which supports 1080p video capture. Multi-axis optical image stabilisation for both the front and rear cameras also helps ensure video footage smoother whether stationary or on the move. HTC UltraPixel camera adds many other features and effects such as enhanced 360' panorama, time sequencing and object removal.

HTC BoomSound

The new HTC One offers the best audio experience of any mobile phone available today. HTC BoomSound introduces for the first time on a phone, front-facing stereo speakers with a dedicated amplifier and an amazing full HD display that immerses people in music, videos, games and the YouTube™ clips they love. Beats™ Audio integration is enabled across the entire experience for rich, authentic sound whether you’re listening to your favorite music, watching a YouTube video or playing a game.

HDR recording uses advanced dual microphones and audio processing to capture clean, rich sound that is worthy of high-definition video footage. Phone calls sound great on HTC One thanks to the addition of HTC Sense Voice™, which boosts the call volume and quality in noisy environments so that conversations come through loud and clear.

HTC Sense TV™

HTC Sense TV transforms the new HTC One into an interactive program guide and remote control for most TVs, set-top boxes and receivers. Tapping the power of the cloud, Sense TV makes it simple and intuitive to see what’s on and find that favourite show.

Metal Unibody Design

Wrapped in a zero-gap aluminium unibody and sporting a brilliant 4.7”, Full HD (1080p) screen, the new HTC One features the latest Android Jelly Bean operating system and LTE network technology to offer blazingly-fast browsing in a package that combines premium design with breakthrough build quality.

Available in stunning silver and beautiful black, the sleek and crafted aluminium unibody sits comfortably in the hand and showcases HTC’s unique antenna technology, which helps people achieve a crystal clear signal. The display also resists scratches and reduces glare, whilst offering incredible 468ppi resolution and rich, natural colours.

Global Availability

The new HTC One will be available globally through more than 185 mobile operators and major retailers in more than 80 regions and countries beginning in March. For more information and to pre-register for the new HTC One, visit www.htc.com

Click here to view the item

Guest Matchstick

First thoughts are no microSD and shipping with android 4.1.

The rest of the hardware and software may be nice but those are odd omissions

(hopefully HTC have managed to work out how to keep the 1080p screen from killing the battery as it did on the DNA)

Guest The Soup Thief

Looks lovely - no need for sd card given the decent amount of onboard capacity, IMHO.

LTE 1900 (b25) - as per andybarker above, uk 4g network will be 1800 (EE), with services on other networks 800 and 2600 also up for grabs I thought. Is this gonna be a problem for this device? Though tbh 4g strikes me as something that's going to be "nice to have" rather than anything of a must-have for a while yet

Odd to see hardware buttons below the screen

Aluminium unibody - mmmmmm!

I would quite like one if anyone's buying - hope the battery is up to the job and that this puts HTC back in the race - Samsung need a bit of competition

Guest Zarch1972

It looks a very very nice piece of kit. I can just imagine how dreamy the screen looks. :)

And i'm interested to see how the camera compares to other top end shooters.

I'm not stuck on Sense and would prefer and AOSP/stock ROM, but i'm sure that would come.

But my big but is that at reported SIM-Free prices of between £450 and £500, I could not justify paying almost twice as much as my Nexus 4. Sadly, this will hold true for most new phones from now on I suppose?

Guest kaizoku_san

seems to be a well spec'd phone. the onboard storage is pretty good and i dont think an sd card slot is really necessary.

Its the camera that piques my interest though. i'll look forward to the comments on how pics look taken by the HTC One

Guest hecatae

With that LTE spec, does that mean it won't work on any of the UK LTE networks (current or planned)?

let's see:

Everything Everywhere Ltd

2 x 5 MHz of 800 MHz and

2 x 35 MHz of 2.6 GHz

£588,876,000

Hutchison 3G UK Ltd

2 x 5 MHz of 800 MHz

£225,000,000

Niche Spectrum Ventures Ltd (a subsidiary of BT Group plc)

2 x 15 MHz of 2.6 GHz and

1 x 20 MHz of 2.6 GHz (unpaired)

£186,476,000

Telefónica UK Ltd

2 x 10 MHz of 800 MHz (coverage obligation lot)

£550,000,000

Vodafone Ltd

2 x 10 MHz of 800 MHz,

2 x 20 MHz of 2.6 GHz and

1 x 25 MHz of 2.6 GHz (unpaired)

£790,761,000

Total £2,341,113,000

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/02/20/ofcom-announces-winners-of-the-4g-mobile-auction

It doesn't look compatible, unless there are going to be specific band versions?

Guest andybarker

The LTE band will be suited to the country where it's being sold, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

P

Glad to hear that. Still going to wait for the Galaxy S4 announcement before deciding.

Guest The Soup Thief

Unfortunately curvy nature-inspired designs are currently subject of a swathe of patent disputes between Apple, Samsung and the Great Creator, with pebbles and bananas being cited as prior art.

Guest i am not a hacker

This phone destroys all of the other flagship phones when it comes to benchmarking. That includes the Xperia Z, it blows it out of the water

Guest pedrojaime

Forgive my ignorance but could the FLAC not be flashed on top of any ROM to provide this functionality (once rooted of course)? If I had to go with any new phone at the moment I would choose this ONE, looking great!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.