A Tip For Battery Life

Guest codroid

Guest codroid

Sorry if this is known already but, I found a little way to improve battery life. I needed my battery to last from Friday morning to Saturday evening so I thought I would lower my clock speed a little, down to 1.2Ghz, the performance did not change so I thought I would try max 600Mhz lol.

The thing is strange, at 600mhz the device is still very fast and performs like a 1Ghz device! Obviously if you are gaming you would need to put the clock up but, for day to day use at 600Mhz it performs almost as well as at 1.6Ghz only battery lasts longer.

Either the intel chip is that good even at low clock or the clock is not changing even though I used several apps to confirm the speed, rom toolbox, setcpu, cpu spy.

Guest codroid

I personally have noticed a great improvement, from full charge I have been browsing web, watched few YouTube videos and had look in market, overall about an hour of usage and I have 87% battery now, at 1.6Ghz I would have lost that much battery in only 15 minutes of usage.

I do not have a lot of apps installed which always helps, including the horrible Google services app which I found was a major wake app, I definitely recommend trying 600mhz if battery life is an issue for you, there really is no loss in performance, the Intel chip is very efficient.

Edited by codroid

Guest BlueMoonRising

I am guessing your rooted right?

You can't change CPU speed down without being rooted. Strangely you can up the minimum speed without root which I've never understood the reasoning behind, but hey ho.

I've tried setting the maximum to 600MHz and have noticed a small decrement in performance(but not much) but don't believe it had a big effect on battery. Using Better Battery Stats shows that it doesn't use the maximum speed an awful lot unless you're gaming, as always it's the screen that kills the battery. Some poorly coded games and apps may of course try and use the maximum all the time in which case you will see a difference.