[Q] Front Camera, skype and other things that might not work

Hi,

I bought a Orange SF2 for my daughter.

At the moment I have Cyanogenmod7 running on it.

searching around I have found various things about what will and wont run, and some are contradictory, so I hope you can help.....

My Daughter would like (!) BBC Iplayer, Skype, and the front camera in general working (these young uns seem to like taking photo's of themselves!)

I believe that:

1: BBC Iplayer will not work on ANY ROM for the SF2 as the SF2 is ARM6 and since the BBC moved away from Flash for Iplayer we are stuck?????

2: Skype, not sure if is an ARM6 issue, but I think skype video calling will also NOT work on ANY ROM????

3: The Front Camera, I think will not work on ANY Cyanogenmod rom, but will work on Fish n Chips? As that is a tweaked stock ROM, no Cyanogen version will ever get it working?

Not sure if there are other things that "will or wont ever work".....

I'm a fan of cyanogen (got it on my phone and tablet) and was going to move to the new 10.1 ROM, but now I think the front camera will never work, so think I will have to head for FNC......but any advice/correction/suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Hi,

I bought a Orange SF2 for my daughter.

At the moment I have Cyanogenmod7 running on it.

searching around I have found various things about what will and wont run, and some are contradictory, so I hope you can help.....

My Daughter would like (!) BBC Iplayer, Skype, and the front camera in general working (these young uns seem to like taking photo's of themselves!)

I believe that:

1: BBC Iplayer will not work on ANY ROM for the SF2 as the SF2 is ARM6 and since the BBC moved away from Flash for Iplayer we are stuck????? iPlayer works as you can download an armv6 flash player here and you should be able to download iPlayer from the PlayStore, if not there is an app on the Fish N Chips 7 thread - first page.

2: Skype, not sure if is an ARM6 issue, but I think skype video calling will also NOT work on ANY ROM???? Skype doesn't work on Armv6 unfortunately, but you still use it as an instant messenger.

3: The Front Camera, I think will not work on ANY Cyanogenmod rom, but will work on Fish n Chips? As that is a tweaked stock ROM, no Cyanogen version will ever get it working? Front Camera works on any ROM that is based on stock, so it works fine on FNC. ZTE didn't release files for the Crescent so Cyanogenmod is based on files from the ZTE Skate and ZTE Blade and as they don't have a front camera or flash it means we have ours disabled.

Not sure if there are other things that "will or wont ever work".....

I'm a fan of cyanogen (got it on my phone and tablet) and was going to move to the new 10.1 ROM, but now I think the front camera will never work, so think I will have to head for FNC......but any advice/correction/suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hope this has helped.

Thanks, that's helpful....

but I do wonder about Iplayer....

I have installed the ARM6 flash player...but when I go to playstore for Iplayer it tells me I need the BBC media player.

BBC media player announces it is not compatible with my device.

I think this is as it has moved to Adobe AIR as a transport.....and there's no ARM6 support for that.....

Have you got iplayer working?

Thanks again,

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

I no longer own the device but I just install the armv6 flash player and the BBC iPlayer app and had no issues but as you said, BBC have created another app called the BBC Media Player so I'll have a search for you, two moments.

Guest dodgetimmy

Use tango for video calling. Voice calling and im on Skype works fine.

However, I get a problem with Skype where audio is played only through speaker. To fix I use the modified apk available from xda developers forum which has an option to force "mode in call" which gets the ear speaker to work.

Edited by dodgetimmy

Guest dodgetimmy

Skype modified : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1148708

Tango: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sgiggle.production&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dtango

Video on Skype is not supported because Microsoft released the app supporting only armv7 and above devices. We're Arm6 sadly!