Switching between ROMs - restore apps/data or reinstall/reconfigure?

Guest dalyer

OK - hopefully not too dumb a question but from browsing here and other forums I haven't been able to identify any clear recommendations on this topic...

Anecdotal advice and my experience is that when switching between ROMs it's generally safer to do a full wipe and clean install since problems may arise from OTA updates, use of already installed apps and data, accumulated crud etc.

However does this mean that the safest way to proceed after installing a ROM is to manually download and reinstall apps from scratch, reapply settings etc.?

Or is it safe to restore apps/data from Google?

Or from a backup program? In which case any recommendations? Titanium? Other?

I'm currently running CM10.1 R1 and want to move to R2 but am inclined to do a wipe and clean install to minimize the chances of problems. But I have quite a few apps and configuration settings that I'd prefer not to have to manually reinstall and reconfigure...

(And before anybody says it - yes - I will do a CWM Nandroid backup of my existing setup first just in case! :))

Edited by dalyer

I have a full version of Titanium but have had problems using that to restore app data, although it has been fine other times. So the only data I backup these days are texts and contacts using My backup root.

For everything else, I just use this: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1531880

My normal 'ritual' is to backup SMS and contacts, then use APK batch installer to batch backup all apps. Then flash the new rom, use APK batch installer to re-install all apps and then use My backup root to restore texts and contacts.

I've tried loads of different routines and find this is the fastest way for me and I have never had any issues doing it this way either. APK batch installer saves me tons of time.

Edited by Cyda

Thanks a lot Cyda. I appreciate the advice.

Just to clarify - does APK batch installer just restore the apps or also any associated data/settings?

It does have the option to backup/restore data but I only use it for doing the APKs themselves. I've had one too many issues moving app data across roms that I rarely bother now.

Backup my entire system using CWM firstly.

Then tend to Backup my Apex Launcher Home and Settings.

Then LightFlow settings.

Apps all download from Google, the additional apps I use are stored on my SD card, ;) , just go through that folder when installing again.

Dont back up the contacts as I have them stored in Google Contacts and Facebook.

Texts are never that important to back up so i do not do that either.

used this many times, prob about 10 x in the last week.

Full wipe, factory, etc x 2. Reboot and install.

Edited by ptoner

used this many times, prob about 10 x in the last week.

Full wipe, factory, etc x 2. Reboot and install.

Thanks. Why is it often recommended to do wipes/factory reset/formats (?) more than once - e.g. x2 here?

Why is it often recommended to do wipes/factory reset/formats (?) more than once - e.g. x2 here?

Superstition or 'just to make sure', take your pick... I normally like to sacrifice a chicken to me sure my formats takes. :P

Joking aside, I have never understood it either, from a programming point of view it will either work or not, so I'm not sure what doing it multiple times achieves.

Guest dalyer

Thanks for the comments/advice. I just switched from CM10.1 R1 to Stock+ and after flashing the ROM decided to just download the relevant apps from the Play Store manually and then reconfigure stuff to my liking where applicable. I used Call Logs Backup & Restore and SMS Backup & Restore to backup call logs and messages. And I manually copied over my DCIM folder for images etc. Maybe I'll do it differently next time I switch ROMs... :)