Alternative to G300

Guest Plxply

Hello,

I've had my G300 for many months however it seems that I've finally managed to crack the screen by dropping it. I'm deciding whether I should get the same model or chose a different phone. Does anyone know of any newer phones of a similar price point and value as the G300? Unfortunately I'm a student so all of this is being paid with an overdraft so I can't go too expensive.

Thanks,

Unfortunately I can only seem to find one place that sells it in the UK and the price seems slightly steep in comparison to the G300. I was thinking of upgrading to a Galaxy S III mini, since I do need a new phone fairly fast.

Acer S500 seems a very good alternative : http://www.gsmarena....e_s500-4542.php

I wish you posted this a few hours earlier as I would have considered it unforunately I depend on my phone on a daily basis and pretty much had to order that night. In the end I chose the Samsung Galaxy S III mini, which I now slightly regret. The only upside is that it seems the mod community is more active.

Now that it's not my main phone I might attempt to repair the LCD although I saw little point in spending £30 to repair a £100 phone, but if it's successful I could always use it as a dedicated media player. Although to be honest, it has probably been my favourite phone to date and I seriously regret dropping it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Edited by Plxply

Replaced the LCD Screen myself for about £25 including delivery.

Bought from the only supplier that I could find on eBay. Took a chance and it paid off. Very quick and professional.

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=281040872089

Also used this Spanish video. Thought it was Romanian or something. Remember to turn off the crap music. Watch it, take your time, do a few steps then pause. Catch up and play again for 10 secs or so.... this is what I did all along and went back and watched again if I was unsure. You may be a heat gun for taking off the actual screen from its metal casing and for the square glued down piece in the middle of the board. Deadly to remove. I used a hair dryer as I had no heat gun. Needs must!

Guest Andymac1969

I have bought an Orange San Diego, yes I know all the pitfalls with the locked bootloader, but with the help of the Modaco forum, I pretty much have a Vanilla Android ICS on it, and it really flys, my G300 was getting Antutu scores of around 4000, the OSD gets nearly 12000.

I am fairly loyal to Orange as I have a fantastic deal off them, and I can get Signal Boost on this phone, what a god send it is, finally a phone that works anywhere in the house, it is just so god dam fast at everything, my Lumia 710 has gone, I will now use the G300 just with a 6 month web booster from T Mobile works out at £40 a year for unlimited internet on a mobile, and the OSD for everything else.

The price? £79.99 for a real flying machine direct from Orange

Andrew

I have bought an Orange San Diego, yes I know all the pitfalls with the locked bootloader, but with the help of the Modaco forum, I pretty much have a Vanilla Android ICS on it, and it really flys, my G300 was getting Antutu scores of around 4000, the OSD gets nearly 12000.

I am fairly loyal to Orange as I have a fantastic deal off them, and I can get Signal Boost on this phone, what a god send it is, finally a phone that works anywhere in the house, it is just so god dam fast at everything, my Lumia 710 has gone, I will now use the G300 just with a 6 month web booster from T Mobile works out at £40 a year for unlimited internet on a mobile, and the OSD for everything else.

The price? £79.99 for a real flying machine direct from Orange

Andrew

It scores 12000? Wow :P

Guest irishpancake

Replaced the LCD Screen myself for about £25 including delivery.

Bought from the only supplier that I could find on eBay. Took a chance and it paid off. Very quick and professional.

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=281040872089

Also used this Spanish video. Thought it was Romanian or something. Remember to turn off the crap music. Watch it, take your time, do a few steps then pause. Catch up and play again for 10 secs or so.... this is what I did all along and went back and watched again if I was unsure. You may be a heat gun for taking off the actual screen from its metal casing and for the square glued down piece in the middle of the board. Deadly to remove. I used a hair dryer as I had no heat gun. Needs must!

Hi ptoner.....

Do you have a linky for that Spanish video.....YouTube??

TIA

Guest kyan31
Ooooo lol :P

Haha, its just I've seen it score only 5000, so 12000 is a bit unbelievable, especially with a single core 1.6GHz processor.

Guest Andymac1969

Haha, its just I've seen it score only 5000, so 12000 is a bit unbelievable, especially with a single core 1.6GHz processor.

Only the FACTS young man only the facts!!

post-407498-0-25735800-1362134228_thumb.

post-407498-0-58428100-1362134246_thumb.

post-407498-0-21991400-1362134260_thumb.

post-407498-0-98854800-1362134278_thumb.

whats the battery life like? and if the battery dies do you have to replace the phone?

Edited by yaqh

Guest Andymac1969

whats the battery life like? and if the battery dies do you have to replace the phone?

Will upload some screenshots when i get home of battery stats and also do a fresh Antutu benchmark but photograph the phone as doubt is being cast on the figures :unsure:

Battery is miles better than the G300 will easily last a couple of days

Andrew

Will upload some screenshots when i get home of battery stats and also do a fresh Antutu benchmark but photograph the phone as doubt is being cast on the figures :unsure:

Battery is miles better than the G300 will easily last a couple of days

Andrew

the only downside is no expandable memory (sd card) and battery built in.

Guest tillaz

interesting scores, it seems to think your device is dual core as it has (x2) next to the clock speed, i'm sure the san diego is single core?

last i seen in pauls review it was getting around 5700

http://www.modaco.co...ego-review-r599

but this is not surprising as antutu benchmark is totally inaccurate and they keep changing the scoring points as far as i can see...

last month my nexus 4 clocked at 1.5ghz was getting close to 20000...

now i'm getting this... and that's clocked at 1.8ghz (antutu is a waste of time)

post-913969-0-90381800-1362574082_thumb.

Guest bladebuddy

Also something to consider. !

The San Diego is a very capable phone. However it is let down by having no recovery so not many rom's ,Xolo and stock only and will probably stay that way as well , it can be rooted.

Some high end / EA games and apps are incompatible with the Intel chip , which is a shame as this phone would run them well with the power it has.

Also to get it unlocked from the orange network you have to have a active orange sim card for 6 months and even then I have read its still a pain to get unlocked and costs £20.

The battery is also a possible concern.

Still for £100 its a nice phone.

Guest Andymac1969

interesting scores, it seems to think your device is dual core as it has (x2) next to the clock speed, i'm sure the san diego is single core?

last i seen in pauls review it was getting around 5700

http://www.modaco.co...ego-review-r599

but this is not surprising as antutu benchmark is totally inaccurate and they keep changing the scoring points as far as i can see...

last month my nexus 4 clocked at 1.5ghz was getting close to 20000...

now i'm getting this... and that's clocked at 1.8ghz (antutu is a waste of time)

post-913969-0-90381800-1362574082_thumb.

I am not technical, but is that not the hyper-threading at work making it work as two?

Andrew

Guest Andymac1969

As promised photo and screenshots, this is not a sales pitch for the OSD just a reason why I bought one as an alternative to my G300, the G300 is a fantastic phone supported by a fabulous community and is the phone that I have had and kept for the longest out of any phone.

The only reason I got the OSD was it was the most bang for the buck, I was torn between that and the Nexus 4, but I could not justify the extra £200 for the Nexus 4 (I paid £79 for the OSD in there 20% off sale)

Yes the OSD is limited by its locked bootloader, but boy is it fast and it does everything I could want it to do, nothing is to much for it, and there is ZERO lag.

I have never been able to get TV catchup to work on the G300, it works on the OSD, Signal Boost works on the OSD, and living in a rural area on Orange it is a godsend, the battery life is amazing, 2 days without any trouble whatsoever, I got a day out of the G300.

I am at that age where a bit of sense has entered my brain, and I would love a S3, S4 or the new HTC One, but can I really justify the money, and the sad truth is that in today's world I can't. The HTC One, nice to have nice to own, but can I justify that extra near £500?? Will it really do even more than I can't do now? maybe but for now it's the OSD

Andrew

post-407498-0-48381200-1362585636_thumb.

post-407498-0-29124600-1362585689_thumb.

post-407498-0-51960800-1362585703_thumb.

post-407498-0-68557900-1362585727_thumb.