Anyone thinking of jumping ship?

Guest Ribs85

Good morning,

Just wondering, is anyone on here as fed up as I was regarding the general bullshit about this phone?

Specifically, the nonsense from Orange saying there being no information on the ICS update, then the ICS update coming out two days later?

Or Xolo saying on Twitter that the ICS update will be out soon, with "JB to follow", then the CEO of Xolo saying there are no plans for JB a couple of months later?

Or the occasional posts on here from a "good source" that JB is coming out in "X month!"... And it never happens.

Like most of you, I brought this phone with my eyes wide open. There was bloatware, there was a locked bootloader, there was a no root (at the time), and ICS was probably the only update we'd get. But I didn't realise how all those little things added up, and how annoyed I would be overall.

So I must confess, I jumped ship about two weeks ago, to a Nexus 4.

And I can tell you, it is so so nice to just have the updates without all the BS around it. It's so so nice to have the option of root whenever I want it, and it's really nice to have an unlockable bootloader. Oddly, for the first time since owning Android devices, I've had no urge what-so-ever (well, maybe a little!) to root or unlock the bootloader. But I know I can, if I want to.

I sold the OSD for £120 on eBay. Not terrible, £80 loss for a phone for about 6 months. No great either.

When my contract with Orange ends (March 5th!), I will be getting that PAC code and jumping to Ovivo. If Ovivo are useless, I'll jump to somewhere else (possibly Virgin or GiffGaff). It's extremely nice to have the choice. A choice that costs another £20 on the OSD...

I must admit, this will be the last time I buy a carrier-branded phone. Once I got the Nexus 4, I really saw Android how it is supposed to be, and it really is much nicer over here!

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I do see exactly what you are saying but, in answer to your question, no; I have no intention of jumping ship.My OSD still represents exceptional value for money that I don't think I could get elsewhere. It does everything I need it to do and it does it smoothly and effortlessly. The Nexus 4 is, indeed, also excellent vfm, but I just cannot justify spending £250 on a phone. Apart from the higher resolution (which is a massive plus) I don't really know in what other way I would benefit. I can see that others would appreciate a better camera and all the benefits you have described yourself (esp. carrier unlocking) but even if I get £100 on eBay (after fees) I would have to splash out 150% more on top to upgrade. For me, the law of diminishing returns, even on a Nexus 4, makes the leap not worthwhile. I would not be getting a 150% better product for that investment. I always swore I would never spend a three-figure sum on a phone but I sold my G300 for a little short of £100 (once fees were paid) and got the San Diego for £130. In that case, I do feel I got at least a 30% better phone for that extra £30.

Don't get me wrong; I would love a Nexus 4 and am envious of those who can afford it. It's just that I'll have to wait it (or equivalent competitor in the future) drops close to my self-imposed £100 ceiling.

Guest MrPuddington

I believe that the Nexus 4 is a great phone, which offers a lot. But it is also a lot more pricey, and it has two annoying restrictions: no SD card, and no HDMI output. Both are important to me, so for me that is not the way to go. I hope for an upgrade to Android 4.1 at some point, but to be honest the phone is so fast that it does not really need project butter. The single core performance probably beats the Nexus 4.

Guest Pondlife

Well N4 can indirectly output to hdmi through slimport adaptor but at £20+ they aren't cheap. Seems to be a few issues with it, mind you not finding hdmi perfect on osd either. Read that OTG doesn't work on n4 too, mind you that doesn't work on my osd either....

Had the N4 sold it and got this so definitely won't be jumping ship in that direction :)

Edited by Pondlife

Guest MrPuddington
Well N4 can indirectly output to hdmi through slimport adaptor but at £20+ they aren't cheap. Seems to be a few issues with it, mind you not finding hdmi perfect on osd either. Read that OTG doesn't work on n4 too, mind you that doesn't work on my osd either....

I never had any problems with the HDMI output, expect that the resolution is not exactly HD. OTG works fine on the Orange ROM: USB sticks, keyboard, mouse, and I guess even some 3G dongles work. I am surprised the Nexus 4 does not have it - since it is one of the key features of the Nexus 7, and it somewhat mitigates the missing SD slot.

Anyway, I am certainly not jumping ship - the only real advantage I see is Android 4.2 and the better (bigger) screen.

Edited by MrPuddington

Guest Pondlife

Lip sync is way out on iplayer when I tested it. Picture looked ok, sound was fine, just rather the two linked better. Oh is that the orange ics? If so I might have to abandon the xolo one, odd thought they were pretty much the same. Yeah baffled at n4 not having otg too.

It is bigger but makes the phone too big for my liking.

Guest i am not a hacker

Yeah it takes a little time for it to respond through the hdmi (around a tenth of a second).

But sound is in sync for me. I haven't tried iplayer through the hdmi, but on the phone it's fine

Edited by i am not a hacker

Guest Simon O

If you bought this phone in the hope of getting updates to Jelly Bean then you're daft. Enjoy the phone for what it does for you now, not for what it may do in the future. If you want updates then buy a Nexus device.

I still have my San Diego. I have no plans to get rid of it as it does everything I want it to do. I own a few devices with Jelly Bean on and honestly I see no major differences between ICS and Jelly Bean that we badly need. Going from Gingerbread to ICS was a massive upgrade though.

Guest Andymac1969

I bought this phone ten days ago on the basis that it was the fastest bit of kit around at the price, it does everything I could ever want, it looks the part, hammers my £21 more expensive overclocked G300 on performance by over 200%.

The lock to Orange does not bother me as I have T Mobile and Orange sims and both will work in this phone, battery is great, performance outstanding what more could i want for £79.99?? If it gets an upgrade to Jelly Bean that that will just be icing on the already scrumptious cake ^_^

Guest FatFingers

If this phone does me for two years like my sanfran did then I'll be well chuffed. Eyes wide open, I knew there would be bloat and orangeyness all over it, but then there's modaco. Their skills + time = win.

Guest intheblue

I have a bit of a dilemma!

I bought a San Diego 3 months ago but needed it unlocked as the EE network is poor where I live.

As I had the handset registered for 3 months I requested an unlock code but I was told it now needed to be registered for 6 months. I was a bit annoyed so when I saw one of these at a bargain price & knew they could be unlocked easily, I bought one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HTC-One-S-android-smartphone-on-T-Mobile-pay-as-you-go-inc-5-credit-/330879738914?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item4d09f82422

I had also complained to the EE Exec Office about the unlocking and they have now promised to give me an unlock code in 14 days.

I haven’t used the HTC yet and a mate has offered me £220 for it. I don’t know which to keep or sell, they both have their plus points and I guess the unlocked San Diego is only worth about £100 sold on eBay. I do much prefer the screen on the San Diego.

Any advice on what I should do?

Guest David Mo

Similar issues here, my SD was purchased after 1 Feb so I will probably have to wait 6 months though have emailed Olaf/EE exec regarding another issue and tacked the 3/6 month unlock on the end. I am in the process of cutting all ties with Orange due to another issue.

I'd be inclined to keep the SD in your position, it's a great handset (particularly if the unlock comes through) though not particularly valued on eBay.

Guest intheblue

The Sony Xperia Z looks a great phone but ideally I want something a bit smaller and cheaper as I can't afford new high-end phones!

I think I'm currently edging towards the HTC One S. The phone is really thin and has a great in hand feel. Prefer the IPS LCD of the SD thou...

I'll wait until I get the unlock code before I decide, if it arrives...

Guest jasonXXx

Just ordered a nexus 4. My osd as jast started cracking at the side of the volume and just under the volume button and on the bezel absolutely perfect I have never dropped the phone. Sending the thing back soon.

Guest intheblue

Anything near the Samsung s2 except this phone? Looks like I'm going to have to move due to dam sim lock

Not many Android phones with the SD's performance available for the SD's price.

Personally I would look for something a bit more modern that the S2 and something with a better screen. The HTC One S & One X's are currently being cleared by many retailers / can be bought quite cheaply second hand and are good phones despite some some small drawbacks. The Sony Xperia S could be considered a little better than the Galaxy S2 and could be bought a bit cheaper than it (Phone4U were doing them for <£200). The Galaxy Nexus is another option second hand.

For Galaxy S2 money (e.g. £200) there is probably not much more choice than this.

For c£290 delivered the 16GB LG Nexus 4 is very good modern phone (but not perfect). It will have have an up to date OS and a good community with plenty of custom ROMs. Might be the smart choice if you've got the money.

Guest i am not a hacker

Anything near the Samsung s2 except this phone? Looks like I'm going to have to move due to dam sim lock

If you are ignoring the price and just looking at specs. Remember you can pick these up 2nd hand for a lot cheaper. Then there is:

Sony Xperia S

Motorola Razr i

Motorola RAZR XT910

Motorola Razr Maxx

Huawei Ascend P1

Acer Cloudmobile S500

Guest mivecboy

I don't regret going from iPhone 3GS to the OSD. Me and the wife both bought one for £99 each brand new. I did look at the Nexus 4 but I don't like the idea of the glass back, seems a little easy to break, and the design was dull and uninspiring. Maybe the next Google phone will have more of a wow factor ?

Guest glossywhite

I don't regret going from iPhone 3GS to the OSD. Me and the wife both bought one for £99 each brand new. I did look at the Nexus 4 but I don't like the idea of the glass back, seems a little easy to break, and the design was dull and uninspiring. Maybe the next Google phone will have more of a wow factor ?

I must confess, £99 really is pretty hard to beat for such a stunning phone! :D

Guest nadezz

Considering jumping ship to the razr i tbh. For me its all down to the build quality, the cheap plastic and horrible power button are ruining the experience.

Guest Andymac1969

I must confess, £99 really is pretty hard to beat for such a stunning phone! :D

Watch the Orange website I got mine for £79.99 plus £7.50 cashback through Quidco :P was a gift

Guest Ribs85

But if you think battery life is bad on this don't get an n4

I don't know why you are saying that.

Battery life on the N4 is *significantly* better than it ever was on the OSD for me. Naturally I'm using pretty much the same apps on both.