this is my drive ;)

Many thanks!

wunderschatz

wunderschatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Jiayu G3
I just got my G3 a few days ago and absolutely love it. Yesterday I stumbled over the not-so-great GPS on this phone. I thought about it a lot and I am convinced that it is not a hardware problem.
Two things point to this being a software issue. 1) Every GPS test utility that I tried, instantly shows 10+ satellites in view, just getting a lock seems close to impossible.
2) I started experimenting with the YGPS section of Mobileuncle, which for me always gets a GPS lock within 30-60 seconds, without fail. Mobileuncle also offers the option to run the GPS discovery in the background, so minimizing it, I always have a GPS lock and can use navigation apps without having to wait for GPS. If I turn GPS off and back on, I get a new lock again within 30-60 seconds.

Now, my question, is anyone aware of an app that is made just for this purpose? I am particularly hoping to find something that installs this functionality as a service, so one doesn't accidentally terminate it. Or is there perhaps a way to use Mobileuncle from within a script, somehow? I really don't know how one would approach this programmatically, but this could solve the GPS issues that we have with our G3's.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by wunderschatz, 26 March 2013 - 08:02 PM.

dbaseii

dbaseii

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Devices:POV Mobii 10.1
  • Twitter:@dbase

I just got my G3 a few days ago and absolutely love it. Yesterday I stumbled over the not-so-great GPS on this phone. I thought about it a lot and I am convinced that it is not a hardware problem.
Two things point to this being a software issue. 1) Every GPS test utility that I tried, instantly shows 10+ satellites in view, just getting a lock seems close to impossible.
2) I started experimenting with the YGPS section of Mobileuncle, which for me always gets a GPS lock within 30-60 seconds, without fail. Mobileuncle also offers the option to run the GPS discovery in the background, so minimizing it, I always have a GPS lock and can use navigation apps without having to wait for GPS. If I turn GPS off and back on, I get a new lock again within 30-60 seconds.

Now, my question, is anyone aware of an app that is made just for this purpose? I am particularly hoping to find something that installs this functionality as a service, so one doesn't accidentally terminate it. Or is there perhaps a way to use Mobileuncle from within a script, somehow? I really don't know how one would approach this programmatically, but this could solve the GPS issues that we have with our G3's.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree. I tried a different rom the other day and it would only find 4 satellites and never got a lock.
I'm going to try your mobileuncle trick. Thanks for the heads up.

dbaseii

dbaseii

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Just an update. GPS Essentials gets a lock in less than a minute

mpx200'05

mpx200'05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Jiayu G3 & ZTE Blade
Turn WiFi off and navigation works (allmost|) ok.
@Wunderschatz: WiFi always on: with 'Keep my GPS alive" or with "Ulysse Speedometer"

running Swedish Snow on Blade & Stock 4.0.4. with root on Jiayu G3

dbaseii

dbaseii

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Turn WiFi off and navigation works (allmost|) ok.
@Wunderschatz: WiFi always on: with 'Keep my GPS alive" or with "Ulysse Speedometer"

Turning off wifi doesn't work for me.

tomcat_

tomcat_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Devices:huawei ascend g300
i also had an issue with gps locking on the G3 build G3N 20130223-071508 with 4.0.4 official ROM.

I have followed the instructions on this youtube video and now i'm getting lock in seconds.

The only thing i want to try/test is what happens if i reboot the phone and if it locks as fast or i have to be deleting the mtkgps.dat all the time.

Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile Pulse
Hello everyone,

I've also come to the conclusion that my GPS just doesn't work by itself. It only works if the wifi is on and has a wifi signal.
This is no good when I'm exploring the country side.

I've read a few different fix suggestions here, modifying the antenna, downloading apps, modifying config files and also saw the youtube video claiming to fix it.

What's the general consensus about the simplest way to fix this issue on the G3?

Thanks, Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users