ZX Spectrum Emulator??

Guest flip2000b

Guest flip2000b

what i would love to see, if it could be done, is a ZX spectrum emulator. The joy of playing Manic Miner, Skool Daze, Chucky Egg etc, it would be so much fun!!

does anyone think this is possible??

It must be able to be done, I have a spectrum emulator on my Gameboy advanced and it plays really well.

It is quite amazing how spectrum games look on a small screen. They look a lot better than I remember on a TV (or PC emulator). If I'm not mistaken the screen resolution of a Spectrum is 240 by 140 or something close to that, so it would work pretty well on the SPV screen. You can get a CD with 3,000 spectrum games on for £4.99 although Codemasters have stopped any of their classics getting on it, doh, I loved Dizzy!

Guest PsychoDave

Oh man you just brought back some deep distant memory.

Chaos was a brilliant game, I remember saving all my coppers just to get it,(awwww)

Gotta get a speccy emu on the go......please :)

Guest jtsaint

Cloest I have got to this was the free Jet Set Willy Rom for GB Emulator - that is cool.

Spyhunter, Gauntlet - this would be so good.

Remember those tapes. It used to takeforever to load a game and then just as it got to the last screen it would crash.

Guest youngerpants

jtsaint, you can get those titles on the NES emu... with better graphics than the spectrum!!! (I was a commadore person... vic 20 & 128, so I am obviously biased againced the spectrums dodgy matrix sprites, as opposed to my commadore beaufifully crafted pixelated sprites)

Guest Croccy22

How dare you say a bad word about the spectrum. It just plain rocked. I am gonna attack you with my Goldene Dragon (Which is of course an illusion because they never cast!) And then run away and hide in my magic tree!!!

PsychoDave will know what I am talking about.

He he

Matt

• 2 months later...
Guest Methanoid
It must be able to be done, I have a spectrum emulator on my Gameboy advanced and it plays really well.  

It is quite amazing how spectrum games look on a small screen. They look a lot better than I remember on a TV (or PC emulator). If I'm not mistaken the screen resolution of a Spectrum is 240 by 140 or something close to that, so it would work pretty well on the SPV screen.  

Sorry, 256 by 192 so very bad really. The GBA one has to trim off pixels so you might miss action.... hate to say but the Sony P800 has a 320 x 200 screen which would be ideal.

you could turn the phone sideways, then the screen would be better. The actual cpu side has already been done with the gbc emulator so that shows that emulating the speccy can be done.

Guest agent.m

choas was a classic game!! so was emlin hughes soccer and power drift to name a few!! at least you cant break the emulator by accidentally taking joystick out :)

Guest Croccy22

Is anyone working on this at all? I think it would be so popular if done properly. I would love to do it myself but emulation is not my strong point!

PLEASE Someone????

Matt

Guest adam

I remember all the footie management sims I played on that, hours of fun.

Ah, the days before Championiship Manager, simpler times.

Guest spacemonkey

I had a look at this last night... I really should be doing something else but...

Anyway, it's tricky to get it to compile, and the pocketclive websites suggests that would be a prob so I've emailed the author of the pocketclive port to ask him what I'm missing.

The main things for a port will be: it uses ATL which is application component type stuff, so dialogue boxes and stuff will probably need changing.. depends how much it actually used it. Also, it used an onscreen keyboard to allow users to type anything... this won't really work on spv at all, hopefully maybe building a T9 entry box that you can go to when you need to "type" will cover it... have to wait and see.

I'll post if/when the author emails me back.

Guest Frazzyscot

Wow, I sure hope Spacemonkey can convert pocketclive. Got it for the pocketPC and it rocks, Jetpac, Atic Atac, Tranz Am, Pyramid, Deathchase 3D, penetrator on the phone would be an 8 bit colour clash dream come true...

Guest w0mbat

I emailed Anders Holmberg who is responsible for PocketClive asking if he was intending to create a smartphone release and he said....

"no such plans but I just finished a mail to a guy named Dave that was in the process of doing such

a port. Keep your fingers crossed!

/Anders"

Whoo hoo! lets hope "Dave" gets on well with it.

Guest spacemonkey

I got an email from Anders so following his instructions I should have a better chance at even getting it to compile :)

I'll have a look at the code again tomorrow (ps I am the "dave" mentioned above)

Guest w0mbat

Thats great news spacemonkey, I have every confidence in your abilities to get it working. Dont let it keep you away from the MAME port though :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for taking it on, you seem pretty good at these things.

Guest Croccy22

Any further foward on this at all space monkey. I really want to be able to play chaos on my phone. That would be so kewl.

I have always though about trying to write chaos but I really don't know how julian gallop wrote it. I looked at the speccy source code ages ago and it was just so huge!

Oh well, lets hope you can get this sorted out would hate for it just to be an illusion that gets disbelieved!! (You'll either know what i'm talking about or you won't!!!)

Matt

Guest spacemonkey

Well, I got it loading, and running, get's past initiallising all the emulation engines and then displays some static... Good start anyway, tomorrow I'll see if I can tweak the graphics and find out what the static is :)

For those of you interested in following this port / in need of something that will put you to sleep, I have started a little porters diary for the project that I'll try and update whenever I do anything to it.

www.surrealservices.co.uk

Guest Frazzyscot

Spacemonkey rocks!!!! Now I need someone to produce some rubber keys, dodgy joystick port and a DK'Tronics pen for the SPV and I'm sorted