Just bought Huawei G300 - Help

Guest kido44

Guest kido44

Hi all, I'm new on here and read quite a few threads but wondered if someone would help me set up my new G300.

I've bought it on vodaphone so need it unlocked to enable 3uk.

Do I have to unlock the phone first (using eBay to get a code) or if I flash a custom rom will this unlock the phone?

That aside, to get jelly bean on my g300 do I need to root the phone first and then just flash a custom jelly bean rom and go from the basic stock software straight to the custom jelly bean rom? Or do I need to update the rom first?

Sorry if I'm asking simple questions but I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you

Guest Liesse

Buy your unlock code and unlock it first.

Have you looked here?

This is the simplest, step by step guide I can think of. It will talk you through all of the processes such as upgrading to get yourself on the right baseband. They will get you on Ice Cream Sandwich.

Come back here after that and read about Daz/Falghaus' custom clockwork and the JB roms.

Edited by Liesse

Guest andy/newbie

i never got an unlock code just done the update download folder b926 then root and unlock bootloader and with cwm installed .flash any rom ilike and i can use 3 uk network as that is the one i am on now ,my phone was voda when new,so you shouldnot need to use any unlock codes.as i think the b926 updated is an international rom so its not locked to vodapone

Edited by andy/newbie

Guest kieranswhite

You can update,but it won't unlock it. You can unlock your phone for free on stock firmware with a guide on the forum,but that means you can't flash a cyanogen mod ROM like jelly bean .if you want to permanently unlock your phone you will need to buy a code online and then your phone will be unlocked on custom ROMS as well as stock!

Sorry if it was a bit too complex ;) don't be afraid to ask

Guest fr0do
What's B926?

So I don't need to buy a code just update?

B926 was the first release of ICS. Baseband 2030.

You need a code if it's locked. Try a non voda sim in it to find out.

Guest irishpancake

B926 was the first release of ICS. Baseband 2030.

You need a code if it's locked. Try a non voda sim in it to find out.

Just to support fr0do here......

your g300 is most likely sim/network locked to the provider you bought it from.

Sometimes you can be lucky, in that some phones, mostly in shops, are/were sold with unlocked network access, so best thing is try a SIM from whatever network you wanna move to.

You will be prompted for an unlock code if it is network/sim locked.

If you bought from Voda, and want to move to 3, you will most like need to purchase a code, from Ebay.....

Just click here for one search of eBay.co.uk, sorted by cheapest.

You will need your IMEI number.....

Dial *#06# on your Ascend G300 and the IMEI number will appear on the screen or remove the battery and locate the IMEI number on the sticker.

Edited by irishpancake

Guest andy/newbie

i got my g300 locked onto vodapone from the vodapone shop last may but when i done download b926 to root of sd card and upgraded it to ics i could use any sim,witch i could not do before and since then i have flashed every rom availble on hear and its allways been the same i can use any sim,so it worked for me so hopefully it should for any one else plus the upload is a lot faster with the b296 if that appeals to you

Guest irishpancake

i got my g300 locked onto vodapone from the vodapone shop last may but when i done download b926 to root of sd card and upgraded it to ics i could use any sim,witch i could not do before and since then i have flashed every rom availble on hear and its allways been the same i can use any sim,so it worked for me so hopefully it should for any one else plus the upload is a lot faster with the b296 if that appeals to you

How do you know it was SIM/Network locked originally?

Did you try any network SIM in it?

Guest andy/newbie

Yes I tryed my 3 sim and it did not work .I think that up date I done b926 is not voda rom its open to any network well itmust be as my 3 chip worked so I got rid of shitty voda chip for all u can eat data on 3.allso I got my g300 when it came straight out just on voda network it was a wile bk but I am sure,that update allowed me to use my 3 chip

Edited by andy/newbie

Guest irishpancake

Yes I tryed my 3 sim and it did not work .I think that up date I done b926 is not voda rom its open to any network well itmust be as my 3 chip worked so I got rid of shitty voda chip for all u can eat data on 3.allso I got my g300 when it came straight out just on voda network it was a wile bk but I am sure,that update allowed me to use my 3 chip

Not disbelieving you at all........

but I cannot see how flashing an Update, unlocking the Bootloader or a custom Recovery has any effect whatsoever on the Network lock status of a phone.

Can anyone else confirm that the procedure carried out by andy/newbie would lead to sim/network unlocked status?

If it were that easy, how come there are so many guys doing good business on eBay?

Edited by irishpancake

Guest Colossae3.23

I can't remember hearing of any rom that unlocked any phone. Cause if you remember in the early days with G300 people where forgetting to unlock their phones before rooting. Rooting doesn't do anything to unlock the network. I think some had to unroot their phones and then run the unlock code, and then re-root.

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest andy/newbie

maybe cos its an international rom and not voda rom I think it was from china or something I am not saying unlocking boot loader or root done it just the update done it for me.I serpose why u can bye the unlock code is that not everyone who has this phone would do an unofficial updat leaked on web .hopefully someone tries it and then we will no.but it is what I done and as I new it was not from vodapone that's when I thought I would try my 3 sim

Guest irishpancake

For the OP, there is another way to check your Network Lock status, on Gingerbread anyway.....

On your dialler input *#*#2846579#*#*

This will bring up a Testing Menu

Select ProjectMenu there....

Select Option 3. [Network setting]

Select Option 2. [sIM card lock state query].

You will get a pop-up showing either 1) SIMLOCK_DEACTIVE or 2) SIMLOCK_ACTIVE

Dismiss this with confirm!!!!

If 1) you're laughing, if 2) you need to buy SIM unlock code.

Be careful in that menu, you could easily reset your phone!!!!!

I take no responsibility for any damage caused!!!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest irishpancake

maybe cos its an international rom and not voda rom I think it was from china or something I am not saying unlocking boot loader or root done it just the update done it for me.I serpose why u can bye the unlock code is that not everyone who has this phone would do an unofficial updat leaked on web .hopefully someone tries it and then we will no.but it is what I done and as I new it was not from vodapone that's when I thought I would try my 3 sim

Sorry, I just don't see how this can have worked, to unlock SIM.

Guest Colossae3.23

don't know mate. I ran some of those Chinese roms in the past, so I would have followed the threads pretty closely, and I can't remember anyone mentioning this. But, like me, maybe most people had unlocked their phones already.

Guest andy/newbie

don't know mate. I ran some of those Chinese roms in the past, so I would have followed the threads pretty closely, and I can't remember anyone mentioning this. But, like me, maybe most people had unlocked their phones already.

thats whatI was just thinking most people proberly unlocked before updating to the leaked update all I no is that my phone was locked to voda and when I done update is was not I am very confident it will do it for other people as it worked for me,I serpose when u do an update in that way it changes a everythink even ril hopefully someone who's on GB and wants to update to ics with an locked phone dose it with b926 an can then conferm what I am saying hopefully I am not going mad :)

Guest irishpancake

You definitely have to be on Stock to SIM unlock.....see below linked thread.

http://www.modaco.co...k-screenprompt/

So, if you did not SIM unlock before you flashed a new ROM or updated to ICS, I do not know how you ended up with an unlocked device, :unsure: unless it never was locked in the first place!! :ph34r:

Anyway, it only costs very little to ensure you will be SIM unlocked, and ppl can use the method I outlined above, without even needing to try another SIM in the phone.

Edited by irishpancake

Guest fr0do

No flashing the international version in no way unlocks your phone from Vodafone. It gets rid of the Vodafone software, but you won't be able to use a non Vodafone sim.

There are 2 known methods to unlock. 1. Buy a code from eBay or get the shop where you got the phone to unlock it, and 2. Use the risky method on the forum.

Unlocking the boot loader to install clockwork mod has no effect on the sim lock.

Guest Redflake

Think the confusion ls with apns. The stock vodafone from as no apns for other networks but the international rom probably as. So the phone was probably unlocked.

Guest irishpancake

Think the confusion ls with apns. The stock vodafone from as no apns for other networks but the international rom probably as. So the phone was probably unlocked.

Well, I'll be blowed!!!

10667_1313085031_182278.png

Edited by irishpancake

Guest kido44

What's b926?

Ok I'll buy a unlock from eBay.

I then want jelly bean on my phone.

What's the easiest, best way to do it and which rom on here?

Cheers for your help.