SMS not being received

Guest Kelthar

Guest Kelthar

Hey there.

I'm currently facing a problem I've never seen before, and can't seem to find any explanation for it: I sometimes do not receive messages sent by other people.

I have contacted my operator, Vodafone, and they have assured me that all of the messages that were sent to me were successfully delivered to my phone, which reported them as received. They then suggested that I returned it, but unfortunately I cannot as I have rooted it and therefore the warranty is void.

The people who send me the texts which do not get received already have the "Delivery Report" option activated, and they do get a delivery report even when I do not receive the text messages saying I did receive them.

I use GO SMS Pro, and have the stock messaging app uninstalled. The problem existed before its uninstallation, I just uninstalled it since I was getting duplicate MMS.

I am currently running CM10, on R4. I am unable to know whether or not the problem already existed before, but I think it didn't. While I was on stock I used to text a lot, then stopped texting for a while, and only restarted texting once I was into CyanogenMod. The problem existed in CM9, although it was very rare (would happen once a week, at most). Now it happens quite frequently. Yesterday, 4 messages were not received: huge pain in the ass as people think I'm not answering when in fact I didn't get their message. Talking to people never works out when you're having an important conversation and have to ask "Did you not answer, or did I not get your message?" frequently.

I can grab catlogs, and do whatever you want, although I'd like to keep a fresh reinstall as the last measure, and not the first.

Thank you,

Kelthar

Edited by Kelthar

Hey there.

I'm currently facing a problem I've never seen before, and can't seem to find any explanation for it: I sometimes do not receive messages sent by other people.

I have contacted my operator, Vodafone, and they have assured me that all of the messages that were sent to me were successfully delivered to my phone, which reported them as received. They then suggested that I returned it, but unfortunately I cannot as I have rooted it and therefore the warranty is void.

The people who send me the texts which do not get received already have the "Delivery Report" option activated, and they do get a delivery report even when I do not receive the text messages saying I did receive them.

I use GO SMS Pro, and have the stock messaging app uninstalled. The problem existed before its uninstallation, I just uninstalled it since I was getting duplicate MMS.

I am currently running CM10, on R4. I am unable to know whether or not the problem already existed before, but I think it didn't. While I was on stock I used to text a lot, then stopped texting for a while, and only restarted texting once I was into CyanogenMod. The problem existed in CM9, although it was very rare (would happen once a week, at most). Now it happens quite frequently. Yesterday, 4 messages were not received: huge pain in the ass as people think I'm not answering when in fact I didn't get their message. Talking to people never works out when you're having an important conversation and have to ask "Did you not answer, or did I not get your message?" frequently.

I can grab catlogs, and do whatever you want, although I'd like to keep a fresh reinstall as the last measure, and not the first.

Thank you,

Kelthar

I have the same problem with the newest build of cm10.1, Messages are received when I restart my phone.

Guest Kelthar

I have the same problem with the newest build of cm10.1, Messages are received when I restart my phone.

YES YES YES, they sometimes get received after I restart my phone, sometimes they don't. They will be received if I haven't received any messages after the one that I lost, if I did it won't be received.

Sometimes I also get duplicate messages (or even triplicate), instead of just one (and after checking the message details, timestamp says they were all sent at the same time).

Guest Kelthar

I am currently on GO SMS (Pro), and the problem persists. I am considering reflashing into Infusion if the issue proves to be related to CyanogenMod only, although I prefer Cyanogen over Infusion (both awesome, but Infusion is limited by ICS)

Guest nsmacd1

I actually had the problem on Infusion, before updating to Cyanogen, so I don't think that it's ROM specific.

Just wondering if you did a restore using Titanium etc which may have screwed the settings?

Guest Kelthar

I never restored any settings. The only things I restored was application data, but none of which was related to texting. The only restore I did related to texting was the SMS restoration using GO Backup, but I don't think it has anything to do with it, makes no sense.

Guest nsmacd1

Unless anyone else has any idea I would try and re-flash the ROM in CWM (Performing full wipes) as this is what I had to do on Infusion to get it working properly again

Guest dalyer

They then suggested that I returned it, but unfortunately I cannot as I have rooted it and therefore the warranty is void.

Just on this specific point I'm not sure that rooting necessarily voids your warranty but you can always reflash a suitable stock ROM and thereby unroot it if you need to return it for any reason.

Guest Kelthar

Just on this specific point I'm not sure that rooting necessarily voids your warranty but you can always reflash a suitable stock ROM and thereby unroot it if you need to return it for any reason.

I would like to try and fix it myself (with the help of people around here) before returning it, especially since it's a software problem.

Guest Mario_Cardoso

I have the exact same problem, on Portuguese Vodafone. It happens in the original Rom, Infusion Rom, CM9 Rom and CM 10.1 Rom.

I used to use GOSMS but since I started using the original messaging application, never had problems again.

Guest Kelthar

I have the exact same problem, on Portuguese Vodafone. It happens in the original Rom, Infusion Rom, CM9 Rom and CM 10.1 Rom.

I used to use GOSMS but since I started using the original messaging application, never had problems again.

I'm on Portuguese Vodafone as well, I guess I'll give it a shot then!

Guest Kelthar

Now going to upgrade to the latest CM10 revision, then I'll uninstall GO SMS Pro and see if the problem disappears. I wonder if this happens with other texting apps or only GO.

Now going to upgrade to the latest CM10 revision, then I'll uninstall GO SMS Pro and see if the problem disappears. I wonder if this happens with other texting apps or only GO.

I have never used GO apps, I use the stock messenger app, and have also had sms problems, as I've stated a few posts above

Edited by Guest

Guest Kelthar

So Mario Cardoso might've changed more than just the messaging app. Perhaps he changed something which actually fixed the problem but he doesn't know. Either way, will change application just in case it is causing it, for some weird reason.

EDIT:

Current status: SMS stopped working altogether after OTA to CM10 R6. I do not receive texts I send to myself from my own phone nor texts other people send me, and happens on both GO SMS and stock messaging. Restarting no longer makes me receive the messages that were lost.

MMS are also lost, and delivery reports still mark messages as received.

Attempted restoring to previous state, with stock messaging frozen and GO SMS Pro running, and it did nothing. The OTA must've corrupted something, only logical explanation.

Now considering a fresh install as soon as I get home if I don't fix it until then.

Edited by Kelthar

Guest Mario_Cardoso

I hope you can fix it!

So Mario Cardoso might've changed more than just the messaging app. Perhaps he changed something which actually fixed the problem but he doesn't know.

I think I didn't changed anything... but I don't put my hands on fire!

Guest Kelthar

I finished the fresh reinstall, this time in CM10.1 (might as well upgrade while I'm at it, right?). I can now receive texts again, but only with time will I find out if they are getting lost.

One problem I do have with the stock messaging app is that it is EXTREMELY slow. Basically, I have 19k messages stored. This wasn't a problem with GO SMS Pro, but apparently it is a problem with the stock messaging app that attempts to load them all into memory, or something like that (only logical explanation I find).

EDIT: By extremely slow I mean it stays in the "Loading Conversations" screen for MINUTES

Edited by Kelthar

Guest Kelthar

Well I'd like to keep them. I'll try and look into this better tomorrow, right now I think I should get some sleep. Been messing around my phone for the last 10 hours, nonstop. Will post feedback on my daily use tomorrow afternoon

Guest Kelthar

You can always back them up for future reference - e.g.:

https://play.google....MSBackupRestore

Seems like a really nice app, I'll take a look at it, thanks!

So, reports from my usage so far: yesterday night I had problems receiving texts, but it might've been because I started restarting (thinking the problem was back) before the messages could even be delivered. That might've been it.

Also, after the messages began working again EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE I had lost yesterday was received. And it was more than I thought, I had lost well over 20 messages.

I'll post additional feedback once I get more information. As of now, the problem seems to be solved, but confirmation will be needed.

PS: I also realized I did NOT delete all the apps, only system ones.

• 4 months later...
Guest deadonthestairs

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I found this thread whilst googling the same issue I've been having.

Basically, it seems that one person (my gf) isn't receiving some of texts - with no real reason as to why, and it's driving us mad!

I'm on the Infusion rom, and also use the MightText SMS PC app to send messages through my work PC.

As far as I can tell, it's only the one person who isn't receiving the occasional message and we can't work out what could be causing it.

Did anyone come up with a solution to this?

Guest deadonthestairs

This is getting weirder. I've just been on MightyText on my PC and 2 of the messages I definitely know didn't come through (and are not on my phone) are there on MightyText.

There is still another message that didn't come through which isn't on there though. Can't understand it.