Swapping RAM?

Guest george109

Guest george109

Hi, I was wondering if there were any ROM s or Kernels that support swapping (Where you partition the SD card and let the phone use some of the SD card space as RAM) as I have a 32gb sd card (~ 28gb usable) and i was wondering if I could use a few gigabytes of storage for RAM?

Can any of them do this, as you can do it with lots of other devices? (like here)

Thanks?

George

EDIT: I was wondering if this was possible, I'm not actually going to do it!

Edited by george109

Guest Kelthar

This tears down the SD card much, much faster. Flash memories have a limited life-span, which is regulated by how many write operations were made. If you use it as RAM, that is constantly being written into, your card shouldn't last very long.

Guest george109

Hi, I know it will cause lots of wear on the SD card, I was just wondering if this was possible, I'm not actually going to do it because of this!

EDIT:

Another thing, I know windows has a function like this (Readyboost) Would this have the same effect?

Edited by george109

Guest kyan31

I would like to see this on the G300, 512mb is way too low for me. P.s try not to make too many threads as it clutters the forum. Just edit a previously made thread, and it keeps Modaco clean :)

Guest Kelthar

I don't think it will have the same effect as the feature in Windows as it works differently. In Windows it only places files which aren't being accessed often in the flash drive to avoid excessive tear.

I believe you have the option to use Swap in CWM, being able to partition your SD card. Swap is the equivalent of Pagefiles (sort of), but in Linux.

Guest penthaler

Hi, I am using 308 kernel from here on my stock ROM 935 and swapping 1GB with aplication called RAM EXPANDER. Since I have 16GB card as a main storage, internal SD (2GB) is totally free - this free space I am using as a SWAP.

RAM Expander needs BUSYBOX installed and card write/read speed 6MB+, no root required.

I hope this helps you.

Guest blatny93

I tried using swapper2 (not £5 - free) and although in terminal it showed swapp on ( type "free" under su) it made absolutely no difference in performance or multitasking , unlike with my old galaxy mini. Try zram, probably better.

Guest bladebuddy
ye, that is second option, but it needs root access and compatible kernel/rom too

I am in the process of trying out the ram expander app you mentioned in you're post. I have made the swap on my sd card not internal. I have not noticed any improvement at all , I am thinking I am doing something wrong . Could you please look at the screen shot and tell me if I have configured the app correctly.

Thanks J.

post-955381-13624996694122_thumb.jpg

Guest penthaler

swappines 70-90, hypermode off, notif.icon off, and you NEED compatible kernel. Do you have custom ROM or stock? If stock, flash via cwm that one i posted in link before

I have swappiness at 90 and free RAM about 130, when swappiness on 60 my RAM is about 100 free max

Edited by penthaler

Guest bladebuddy
swappines 70-90, hypermode off, notif.icon off, and you NEED compatible kernel. Do you have custom ROM or stock? If stock, flash via cwm that one i posted in link before

I have swappiness at 90 and free RAM about 130, when swappiness on 60 my RAM is about 100 free max

I am on the slim rom, busybox installed millerbank 15. Kernel , 16gb sandisk class 10 sd. Is this o.k ?

Will try the settings you suggested.

One thing I have noticed is antutu scores are nearly the same results each time you run the test. Usually the score varies by about 150 points .

Thanks for your help .J

Guest saiem1

Hi, I am using 308 kernel from here http://www.modaco.co...dated-07022013/ on my stock ROM 935 and swapping 1GB with aplication called RAM EXPANDER. Since I have 16GB card as a main storage, internal SD (2GB) is totally free - this free space I am using as a SWAP.

RAM Expander needs BUSYBOX installed and card write/read speed 6MB+, no root required.

I hope this helps you.

I tried to swap 1gb on internal but it says write protected, can you help me please.

Guest bladebuddy
Why are you worried about free RAM?

I am just playing around with a few different mods e.t.c to see if I can improve things a little. Not really worried about freeing ram. J

Guest dalyer

Actually the comment was to penthaler. :)

I'm just pointing out that focusing on free RAM on Android may be missing the point a bit...

Guest penthaler

dalyer - SWAP is virtual extension of RAM - more RAM = more speed, better games with no LAG, no restarting or closing of runing apps etc.

I was using SWAP on my X10mini and there was really great performance with it. And the same great performance I see on my G300 too.

Games are not lagging, no restarts of launcher, better speed, better multitasking...

Guest bladebuddy
dalyer - SWAP is virtual extension of RAM - more RAM = more speed, better games with no LAG, no restarting or closing of runing apps etc.

I was using SWAP on my X10mini and there was really great performance with it. And the same great performance I see on my G300 too.

Games are not lagging, no restarts of launcher, better speed, better multitasking...

Agreed games do seem to run noticeably better.

Thanks for heads up and advice. J

Guest blatny93

You are probably right Dalyer but coming from symbian androids aggressive memory management gets annoying- hence the wish for a swap. As I say, an illusion also.

Guest dalyer

I understand why swap may make sense but what I'm questioning is why some people look at free RAM and assume that if they have more than before or more than somebody else then they are better off. That's not how Android works.

Guest penthaler

dalyer - I just showed how it works and differences between nonswapped and swapped RAM.

RAM is used as main "storage", and when low, phone is laggy, sometimes stucks, doesnt matter if the swap is or isnt active. More swappines allows to use swap file instead of RAM and apps consume lower amount of RAM. That allows to use more apps without their killing and still have more free RAM to use for another things.

Android kills apps when LOW RAM and often kills those we dont wanna kill.

(sorry for bad english ;) hope you understand what I mean)